10G Journal
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 08-05-2007, 03:43 AM   #1
edacsac
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

10G Journal

I had always wanted to make a journal here, but kinda forgot about doing so with all the newbie problems I had with my tank. But now, 6 months later, I figured I'd post something and get some opinion. I've learned I suck at keeping a tank and the outcome at this point is a far cry from what I imagined, but here is my journey so far. I moved some plants around, and added sand (which I was tired of replacing due to algae collecting on it. I left the sand bed bare for about 3 months until today. I hope I don't get an algae outbreak). The java moss growth on my little wall thing didn't come out as planned (the right side is bare because I had a big clump of jmoss hanging and blocking light until last week), but it looks ok from far away.

Setup:

Initial Planting Feb '07

After everything died Feb '07

How we're looking today Aug '07

Advertisement

Old 08-05-2007, 03:49 AM   #2
General Tso
Planted Member

PTrader: (27/100%)

I really love the terrace effect that you accomplished with the plastic needlepoint canvas. It will look amazing when the moss completely fills in.
General Tso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 03:53 AM   #3
Haeun
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

Wow! That's a pretty amazingly cool idea. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the wisteria, but otherwise, that tank is ROCKING.
Old 08-05-2007, 03:58 AM   #4
edacsac
Planted Member

Quote:
I really love the terrace effect that you accomplished with the plastic needlepoint canvas. It will look amazing when the moss completely fills in.
That was the most fun about this tank, putting the terrace together! Although, I would have made bigger holes if I where to do it again. The moss filling in is a very slooooww deal.

Quote:
Wow! That's a pretty amazingly cool idea. I can't say I'm a huge fan of the wisteria, but otherwise, that tank is ROCKING.
Thanks alot! I just threw the wisteria in there to get something growing fast to help combat some algae. It won't stay forever. :-)
Old 08-05-2007, 06:51 AM   #5
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

I think I can see your plan through to pic 3, then the vals(?) change everything, personally I'd remove them and get the tank back closer to where it was in pic 3, that's my fav. The wall is original, I like moss walls but don't see too many, would it be too hard to replace the java with xmas or peacock moss, maybe weeping moss? I think that would work more toward what your original plan was (or at least what I think your plan was ), would look more structured like your riccia rocks, which look killer by the way, sort of a stepping stone feel that adds to the terrace effect.

None the less, I think it still looks great and has a lot of potential, sounds like you're being hard on yourself.
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 12:42 PM   #6
ikuzo
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo

love the original idea of the moss terrace wall. it's true that at the last picture those vallisneria are too big for your tank. some java ferns and anubias nana would be perfect there.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:31 PM   #7
edacsac
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
I think I can see your plan through to pic 3, then the vals(?) change everything, personally I'd remove them and get the tank back closer to where it was in pic 3, that's my fav. The wall is original, I like moss walls but don't see too many, would it be too hard to replace the java with xmas or peacock moss, maybe weeping moss? I think that would work more toward what your original plan was (or at least what I think your plan was ), would look more structured like your riccia rocks, which look killer by the way, sort of a stepping stone feel that adds to the terrace effect.

None the less, I think it still looks great and has a lot of potential, sounds like you're being hard on yourself.
Thanks!

Do you mean the corkscrew things? I kinda like those. The other long things (giant dwarf sag I think?) are from my friends tank (actually most of what's in there is from my friends tank right now). I've been going with what grows as opposed to what looks good I guess. I had some tough times in between those pictures. Alot died, so I focused more on getting the tank stable. Picture 3 wasn't enough mass to keep the algae away. I also need to get a tiny powerhead because the front right area just collects scum. I wanted more of the nano size plants, but they all died. Once the weather cools down I'll start hitting the S&S forum and start getting some more appropriate plants.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:22 PM   #8
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

Well, keep in mind when you read my opinion that I'm personally partial to thinner vals and grasses, not including hair grass. I think it's mainly the front right one that is taking away from the overall, but I would still pull all of them. but, I'm sure they're keeping algae at bay.
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:39 PM   #9
Finch_man
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/94%)

How where you able to glue the mesh and bend the way you wanted it to?
Looks very nice also a good idea!!!
Old 08-06-2007, 12:02 AM   #10
garuf
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to garuf

your tanks brilliant! it makes me want to get another 10g and have a go myself, what are you planning on stocking fish wise? some microrasbora would look magnificent in there
garuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:39 AM   #11
Haeun
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

I too think the valisneria should be pulled eventually. Maybe after the moss grows. I vote for stem plants! Green ones, not colorful ones. If you insist on the long-valisneria look, I vote for hairgrass to replace it. Maybe something like eleocharis vivipara.

Did some of the riccia die off between Feb and August? The top of the "plateau" looks a little sparce, compared to the Feb picture.

Anyways, this is one of the most unique tanks I've seen recently. Good job on the meticulous sand care; looks so fresh and so clean clean~
Old 08-06-2007, 01:41 AM   #12
edacsac
Planted Member

Thanks for all the kind words and plant suggestions!!

Quote:
How where you able to glue the mesh and bend the way you wanted it to?
Looks very nice also a good idea!!!
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ntraption.html

Quote:
your tanks brilliant! it makes me want to get another 10g and have a go myself, what are you planning on stocking fish wise? some microrasbora would look magnificent in there
I have two dwarf puffers and some red shrimp in there. Everyone hides though.

Quote:
I too think the valisneria should be pulled eventually. Maybe after the moss grows. I vote for stem plants! Green ones, not colorful ones. If you insist on the long-valisneria look, I vote for hairgrass to replace it. Maybe something like eleocharis vivipara.

Did some of the riccia die off between Feb and August? The top of the "plateau" looks a little sparce, compared to the Feb picture.
I've been removing some of the riccia to make room for something different. The riccia gets dirty looking after awhile and doesn't seem to be enough "plant mass" to keep the algae away.

Quote:
Anyways, this is one of the most unique tanks I've seen recently. Good job on the meticulous sand care; looks so fresh and so clean clean~
I just put in fresh sand for the picture. The sand is actually a pain to care for when algae is afoot.
Old 08-06-2007, 01:50 PM   #13
runwithit
Algae Grower

i agree about the white sand... having to deal with it as well. and i love pick 3 better as well. with the more open right side, i just think it looks more refreshing. i like this idea... never imagined anything like it. do you have any fish/inverts in there?
runwithit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 02:38 AM   #14
edacsac
Planted Member

I have two dwarf puffers and several red shrimp, but they rarely come out for pictures!
Old 08-07-2007, 03:17 AM   #15
cleekdafish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

I like it its unique
cleekdafish is offline   Reply With Quote