10g Shrimp-Cory-Anubias Low-Tech Tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-15-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
gerbillo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

10g Shrimp-Cory-Anubias Low-Tech Tank

January 28, 2014 Full Tank Shot

I'm a former saltwater aquarist adapting to a freshwater life. I actually started a 5.5g a year ago, added a small heater, tiny filter, a single Anubias, and fed it nothing but indirect sunlight and neglect, and the Anubias doubled in size.

I took down my old reef talk and decided to give freshwater some proper attention. Fortunately, I was able to recycle some of my reef equipment for this tank:

Current Flora
Anubias barteri var. barteri
Anubias barteri var. nana
Anubias barteri var. petite
Anubias, unknown, looks between barteri and nana
Hydrocotyle leucocephala, Brazillian Pennywort
Bacopa monnieri, Moneywort
Cryptocoryne parva
Marsilea minuta
Vesicularia montagne, Christmass Moss

Current Fauna
Corydoras habrosus
Neocaridina heteropoda var. red, aka Red Cherry Shrimp (RCS)
Bladder snails (physids)

Equipment
Tank: 10g Aqueon
Lighting: Finnex FugeRay 20" with window screens, 10 hrs/day
Heater: 75W Cobalt Neo-Therm, set to 76F
Temperature Controller: Ranco ETC-111000, set to 77F
Filter: Eheim Classic 2213, Installation Set 2 spraybar
Substrate: ADA Amazonia, 2" deep
Other: Penn Plax B11 emergency air pump, Honeywell RWD41 leak alarm, surge protector, GFCI, grounding probe, calibrated thermometer

Last edited by gerbillo; 01-29-2014 at 11:28 PM.. Reason: Updated Current Tank Specs and Photo
gerbillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2013, 04:15 AM   #2
gerbillo
Algae Grower

The post office messed up so they're figuring out what happened to my Finnex FugeRay; it apparently arrived but they can't find it. I'll have to wait a few more days for them to sort it out.

In the mean time, I went to Albany Aquarium today and purchased an Anubas nana and six Corydoras habrosus. Don't worry, I've been running a 5.5g quarantine tank, so it'll be their home until my 10g is cycled and ready. I saw the corys last week, and decided to get them now since they don't carry C. habrosus very often. I'm actually not a fish guy; I was bored sick of a clownfish when I had reef tank. I very much prefer invertebrates and I studied them in college, but I've fallen for the habrosus corys since discovering them on the forums here.
Old 12-19-2013, 05:41 AM   #3
gerbillo
Algae Grower

December 18, 2013

The Finnex FugeRay I ordered was lost by USPS, so a replacement is already in the mail and should arrive by Monday. The temporary CFL will run longer, but I admit the light looks better than I expected.

Cycle is coming along and diatoms are making their appearance. One thing I'm learning is the differences between cycling a freshwater planted tank and a reef tank. I underestimated how much ADA Amazonia leaches ammonia, and I had to do large water changes for several days because it was well above 2 ppm. It seems to have stabilized around 1-2 ppm, but no nitrites nor nitrates yet.

I really enjoy how the wood pieces turned out. There's a cool hole through the large piece that's visible from the side, forming a small cave:

Last edited by gerbillo; 12-19-2013 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Typos
Old 12-19-2013, 06:11 AM   #4
gerbillo
Algae Grower

Corydoras habrosus! All six are doing fine in the QT, feeding happily on Spectrum Water Stable Wafers. The first day I tried feeding them Spectrum's small fish pellets, but they sucked on them but couldn't swallow. I made another run to the LFS to get the wafers, which was what they had been feeding them at the store. I love watching them scurry across the bottom as they eat.

They're all just under an 1" right now, so it was really tough getting pictures of them. I'll try better next time.

Last edited by gerbillo; 12-19-2013 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 12-20-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
gerbillo
Algae Grower

The Ranco temperature controller arrived today. I've never really done electrical work before but wiring the power cords was easy and only took a few minutes, thanks to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrBbqm79cco

Since I'm only mildly paranoid, I was concerned for a slim chance of copper in my tap water that could affect shrimp. The API copper test kit arrived today too, and and it tested zero. Whoohoo! I'm ready for shrimp, as soon as the tank finishes cycling.

Last edited by gerbillo; 12-22-2013 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: Resized image.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #6
JBeehler
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking forward to seeing this!
JBeehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:15 PM   #7
gerbillo
Algae Grower

No work, no volunteering, and no holiday party today, I can finally give the habrosus corys some photographic justice. I'm used to macro shots in broad daylight, so I'm still getting the hang of flash for close-up work. The results aren't perfect, but they're much better than my previous cory photo.

One thing is that these photos were taken during the day time, while the previous cory photo was taken well after sunset, so my room had been dark for hours. Notice their lateral stripe, it is dark and thick during the day, but faded at night. I've read about night-time color changes in other fish, just never about corys before.

I need to clean their QT again after they finish eating.

All six corys are sort of visible.

The only shot not taken with flash, so it's noisier and depth-of-field is narrower since I had to widen the aperture.

Last edited by gerbillo; 12-22-2013 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Tweaked caption.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
jameshill247
Planted Tank Obsessed

Looking good!

Cory's are good to watch too
jameshill247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 03:17 AM   #9
gerbillo
Algae Grower

With the Finnex FugeRay and Pennywort.

The FugeRay finally arrived! It's slimmer and brighter than I expected. At the suggestion from other FugeRay users (such as this one), I placed two fiberglass window screens to dampen the light for low light / low tech plants. I gotten so used to the 5000K color temperature of the CFL bulb that the 6500K FugeRay looks a little too white for me, but I think I'll get used to it. The fixture legs are rather awkward, but otherwise it's a nice light for my tank.

I also bought another plant today, a set of pennyworts. Since they'll grow tall I have them in the back behind the main piece of wood and so they won't look more dominant than the anubias. More plants are on the way in the next few days.

Pennywort and the other side of the "cave" in the branch.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:41 AM   #10
JBeehler
Algae Grower

It looks nice so far! Looking better and better!
JBeehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #11
gerbillo
Algae Grower

Default 10g Shrimp & Cory Low-Tech Tank

Yes, that's a towel behind the tank but it's just a temporary background to block out daylight. More importantly, I got some new plants: Java and Christmas moss, Marsilea minuta, Anacharis, and a petite Anubias. I'm still looking for a Crypt parva, which I think I've found.

This is my first time gluing moss, so of course I used too much glue, but they'll grow over it. I should also use gloves the next time too.

Marsilea minuta

The petite Anubias is even smaller than I thought.

I like the Christmas moss much more than the Java Moss.

Anacharis, which I'm hoping will grow taller.

A bladder snail, the only animal currently in the tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBeehler View Post
It looks nice so far! Looking better and better!
Once the moss grows over the glue, then it'll definitely be better.

Ammonia/ammonium is dropping, but still no signs of nitrite nor nitrate, so I think the plants are the main driver behind the decrease. I started adding fish food to continue the cycle and encourage the bacteria to grow.

The habrosus cory cats are still doing fine in their QT, scurrying on the bottom in their funny way. I reduced their feeding to a quarter of a Spectrum mini wafer per day to, minimize waste while still providing them with plenty. It makes cleaning easier; I do about a 10% water change everyday and I remove any excess food I find. I'm looking into other food options to occasionally mix things up a bit.

I started reading Diana Walstad's Ecology of the Planted Aquarium, and I cant put it down. It's absolutely fascinating, I don't think I found a book like this back when I had my reef tank. A lot of her book I already knew, but her knowledge is so much more refined and nuanced, and it's making me rethink my approach to my tank.

Last edited by gerbillo; 12-28-2013 at 06:34 AM..
Old 12-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #12
rrastro
Planted Member

Hi gerbillo!
I also have a common cory/shrimp tank and live in the Bay Area.
If you have any questions, or just want to chat, drop me a line sometime.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:13 AM   #13
gerbillo
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrastro View Post
Hi gerbillo!
I also have a common cory/shrimp tank and live in the Bay Area.
If you have any questions, or just want to chat, drop me a line sometime.
Good to know a local, I may have to ask you about local resources and such since I'm not far from El Cerrito. Which cory and shrimp do you have?

The legs that come with the Finnex aren't very good, they don't fit the tank right, especially with the glass top I can't secure it in place. My solution is pictured above, Velcro.
Old 12-28-2013, 03:59 AM   #14
GMYukonon24s
Planted Tank Guru

Those are some beautiful cories!

MIAPG - Come join us - Plantedtank - MI - Greatlakesaquaria
GMYukonon24s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 06:59 PM   #15
rrastro
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerbillo View Post
Good to know a local, I may have to ask you about local resources and such since I'm not far from El Cerrito. Which cory and shrimp do you have?
Hastatus corys, red supremes, and blue velvets all obtained locally.