Ph is not dropping??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 12-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #1
Dedickjr
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ph is not dropping??

I am trying to understand why my ph is not dropping. After I added more plants and driftwood my kh dropped to a 3 and my ph stayed the same at 7.6/7.5. I am adding pressurized co2 at two bubbles a minute and have pearling on many of my plants. I run the co2 an hour before lights come on and shuts off an hour before lights out. Just trying to figure out why it's not dropping since my kh has. I was told kh and ph go hand in hand so if one drops so should the other. Please help me understand this. Am I doing something wrong or am I missing something?
Dedickjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 11:31 PM   #2
jeremy va
Planted Member

How big is the tank? 2xbubbles a minute is not very much...
jeremy va is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 11:36 PM   #3
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

What is your general hardness reading?
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #4
jeffdenney
Planted Member

Typically people measure co2 by bubbles per second if that helps.. I would bump up the co2 to at least 1bps or .5bps.. then see how that goes..

How big is the tank?
jeffdenney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-14-2013, 11:48 PM   #5
MiSo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

im guessing you meant 2 bps. whats your diffusion method and how big is your tank?
Eheim Pimp Club #190
MiSo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 12:10 AM   #6
Dedickjr
Algae Grower

Sorry yes meant 2 bubbles a second. My tank is 150 gallon. I diffuse the co2 threw a glass diffuser that is connected to my power head that cuts the bubbles even more to spread it threw the tank. I haven't measured my gh yet. I always measure the kh and ph to get a co2 reading.
Old 12-15-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
MiSo
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)

you need to add a lot more for a 150 gallon.

i have my 57 gallon tank at 6 bps. my kh is pretty high though.
Eheim Pimp Club #190
MiSo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 12:19 AM   #8
Dedickjr
Algae Grower

Miso how many are we talking then? I don't want to gas out my fish at the same point.

Miso also like you said your kh is high but mine is only at a 3. That has dropped from an 7-8. That has happened within the last three weeks.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-15-2013 at 06:19 AM.. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Old 12-15-2013, 01:25 AM   #9
Aqguy
Planted Tank Obsessed

Gh7
Kh4
Ph6.6
1 1/2 bbs 75g tall
I found the lower my gh & kh the ph falls faster
Old 12-15-2013, 01:37 AM   #10
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

You can't measure how much CO2 is in the water by measuring pH and KH. That only works if your water contains nothing that affects the pH except carbonates and CO2. Very few of our tanks come close to that. The best way to "measure" the CO2 is to watch the plants and fish. Good CO2 will cause the plants to grow the fastest that the light will let them, sometimes causing pearling of most of the plants. Too much CO2 will cause the fish to show obvious distress, from clustering at the surface seemingly gasping for air, to losing their colors or laying on the substrate. With too little CO2 the plants will not be growing as fast or pearling as much as they should, given the amount of light they have. (This assumes that they are not limited in growth rate by a shortage of N,P,K or trace elements.)

A drop checker is a good way to find out if you are anywhere near the optimum amount of CO2 in the water. If used correctly, it will be green to yellow-green if you are at least in the ballpark on how much CO2 you have.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:39 AM   #11
Idrankwhat
Planted Member

Take a 5 gallon sample of your water put your co2 diffuser into it and see how much it reduces it. If it brings it down under 7.5 then maybe just not injecting enough into your system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 02:45 AM   #12
Dedickjr
Algae Grower

Hoppy I do have a co2 checker in the tank and it is a yellowish green so I guess it's where it needs to be then. How often should I change out the solution by chance? It's been in there for about a week right now.
Old 12-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #13
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedickjr View Post
Hoppy I do have a co2 checker in the tank and it is a yellowish green so I guess it's where it needs to be then. How often should I change out the solution by chance? It's been in there for about a week right now.
Just a question; are you using 4 dkH reference solution in your drop checker?

I find it a bit unlikely that you are getting a yellow-green colour with only 2 bubbles per second in a 150 gallon aquarium.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-15-2013, 06:22 PM   #14
Dedickjr
Algae Grower

Darkblade48. My lfs said since my kh in my tank is at a 3 (tested by myself and the lfs) that I was safe to use my tank water. Are they wrong? If so I guess I'll have to go online and buy some then.
Old 12-16-2013, 01:13 AM   #15
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedickjr View Post
Darkblade48. My lfs said since my kh in my tank is at a 3 (tested by myself and the lfs) that I was safe to use my tank water. Are they wrong? If so I guess I'll have to go online and buy some then.
Yes, this is wrong.

You must use a reference solution where carbonates are the only contributing species to kH.

Most people use a 4 dkH reference solution, as when the solution turns green(ish), it indicates approximately 30 ppm of CO2 in the water column.

You can also make your own drop checker solution, if you want to (do a search on the forums for instructions on how to do so).

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.