Nitrites showing up at a really fast rate...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 12-13-2013, 07:10 PM   #1
FewestKitten896
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Nitrites showing up at a really fast rate...

So I started my fishless cycle last Saturday (12/7/13) and dosed to about 4-5ppm of ammonia (from Ace Hardware 10% ammonia) in my 10 gallon dirted tank. I keep the temperature at around 80 degrees and run a powerhead with air hose attached. I am using tap water with Prime. All my plants were bought at PetCo/Petsmart except for one plant at PetLand. The plant at PetLand was the only plant that was in the water already and was in a pot. I planted the Moneywort and left the pot in the tank. On the 11th I had a small amount of nitrites, about 0.25 ppm and today it is past the API test color card.

Is it common for the nitrites to show up this fast? I have been searching around a most people say they should start to show up at around day 7 to 10 instead of day 4.
FewestKitten896 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #2
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Sounds pretty quick! But then it is not something I've done often. I've done more of seeding filters and moving them to other tanks. The speed might prompt one to think about what might be leaching nitrite from the substrate???
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
FewestKitten896
Planted Member

Yeah I never really thought about the dirt leaching nitrites. One friend told me that I had an error in my test but got the same results test after test. I will just wait for another week and see where my tests go. I mean I am not opposed to a fast cycle, just means I can put fish in there faster but will definitely watch what happens to the nitrites.
Old 12-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #4
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Keep an eye on it. In my experience the nitrite consuming bacteria grow much slower than the ammonia consuming ones.
devilduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
FewestKitten896
Planted Member

Well I tested my water a couple times today and these were my findings.
pH still around 8
Ammonia = dropped to around 1ppm
Nitrites = still to far up to measure
Nitrates = about 5ppm

I also tested my tap water to see if I was getting any weird test results with that also and got the same thing when I initially tested it.

When I bought the potted plant I didn't put the pot and material the plant came with in the tank for 2 days. The material was still damp and I was wondering if the material acted as a seed for the cycling process when I put it back in the tank. I dosed my tank back up to 3-4ppm of ammonia and going to check the levels of it all tomorrow evening. I am hoping that nitrites and ammonia drop and nitrates go up.
Old 12-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
FewestKitten896
Planted Member

I have done a couple of big water changes to bring down some of the levels and slowed up on the ammonia dosing so my nitrates can build up. I brought my nitrites down to about 5ppm and my nitrates are around 10ppm. My tap water has .5ppm of ammonia so I will wait 24 hours before I put in a couple drops and then will dose every other day. How far should I bring up the ammonia or should I keep it low until my nitrites start dropping?
Old 12-20-2013, 01:57 AM   #7
FewestKitten896
Planted Member

I am really new to this testing stuff. Do these test look normal for the cycle? It has been going for about 2 weeks now. From what I can tell pH is fine, ammonia 0-0.25ppm, nitrite extremely high and nitrate I am going to give a 10-20ppm. Will the nitrites eventually drop?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0506.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	55.4 KB
ID:	249057  

Old 12-20-2013, 06:09 AM   #8
Pakman
Algae Grower

PTrader: (3/100%)

I'm running into a similar situation. Nitrites seem to be high and nitrates seem to be high. I'm waiting to see the nitrites come down to 0. it's been about 2 weeks since my cycle. I know my soil is leeching ammonia, so not adding ammonia. how often are you doing water changes?
Pakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
thelub

PTrader: (13/100%)

2 weeks is still a very young cycle in a brand new tank. Give it at least 2 more weeks before you really concern yourself with any parameter levels.

In the meantime, do a search for user "Diana" and sift through some posts she has posted about the cycling process. It might shed some light on what you have going on. She has some awesome info about the cycling process and it might relieve some of your concerns about what's going on.
thelub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #10
FewestKitten896
Planted Member

A while back my nitrates and nitrites were off the chart. I dug around and read in a few different places to do water changes. So since they were super high I have done 2x 50% changes and one 90% change. None of them brought the nitrite down but it did bring the nitrate down. At least not enough so I could test.
Old 12-23-2013, 12:53 AM   #11
FewestKitten896
Planted Member

Well I think I reached the near end of the cycle. I woke up this morning to 0ppm nitrites and ammonia. I dosed 1ppm of ammonia this morning and then I will dose to 3ppm tomorrow for the final test. Can't wait to put in some fish and shrimp. Thanks thelub for telling me about diana, even though I was closed to the end, I did find her information about cycling very helpful.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:30 PM   #12
FewestKitten896
Planted Member

CYCLED!!!!! Man it felt like it took forever, but in reality, it went pretty fast according to the problems some people have. Thanks for everybody's help.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #13
JBeehler
Algae Grower

Where in Kansas are you located? Are you on aircapitalaquariumclub? Lots of good shops around here!
JBeehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #14
Italionstallion888
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

I'm in Ks as well, Olathe to be specific.
Italionstallion888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #15
FewestKitten896
Planted Member

Olathe as well