110 Tall Photo Journal (56k) Rescape 2010 Coming Soon!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
Saraja87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Saraja87

110 Tall Photo Journal (56k) Rescape 2010 Coming Soon!

Hello Everyone!

This thread is being created to get input on my new 110 Tall planted aquarium. I originally started out with a 12 gallon that grew into an obsession that has finally culminated in the form of my 110. I tried to create that authentic jungle look with my first 110, but it went down the drain when my cheapo ballast exploded, my canopy dry rotted and my plants died . Thus, I'm beginning fresh with a little more experience and money better spent.

I'm currently a pre med student in Los Angeles which means that prices are high and funds are very low. More often than not I'm completely broke so I'm hoping to fund this on a smaller budget and still get that beautiful jungle look that I'm still coveting.

Please feel free to post any and all input, plant suggestions, plants for sale, or just ideas when you have them!

Thanks!

Sarah

**WARNING** Lots of Pictures!

Last edited by Saraja87; 05-02-2010 at 01:35 AM.. Reason: updates
Saraja87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
Saraja87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default The background...

This is my first planted tank, and my first dip into live plants. Wasn't she perty?

I somehow managed to get one of those magic systems that are completely self sustaining. I added fresh water every week when the water level went down but the rest took care of itself. A very big change from my prior one water change per week/obsess over every detail system that I used before.

Since that tank was such a success, i got greedy and decided to go bigger. Thus began the beginning of my obsession with tall planted tanks. I have very little space lengthwise and up seemed like the best direction to go ^^. Now I'm hooked.

So, without further ado....

The first tall attempt!

I was VERY proud of this tank when it started. Sadly, the happiness could not last. I bought a very inexpensive used tank system, used reflectors and a cheapo vho ballast. Can we see a recipe for disaster here? The dry rot on my canopy eventually became too much after a year and when my ballast exploded and all my plants died I decided it was time to take the tank in a new direction. Mainly in the direction of the trash lol.

RIP Old tank. You were awfully pretty before you died on me.

Last edited by Saraja87; 09-11-2007 at 06:58 AM..
Old 07-26-2007, 08:48 AM   #3
Saraja87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default A New Aquarium is Born!

Since my last attempt at a 110 Tall was such a failure due to cheap products, I decided to shell out the dough for my next attempt.

First step, the tank...

Right off the bat you can see that this system is in much better shape than mine was, not to mention prettier ^^ Once I got it home I sanded the interior of the canopy and the top of the stand down to bare wood and practically poured Man-O-War spar varnish onto it. I also added about 6 coats to every other wooden surface including the interior ceiling of the stand. You will not find dry rot on this canopy! $300.00 bucks but well worth it i think. I also got 2 fluval 404's, 2 emperor 400's and some lovely bottles of misc chemicals.

Next, I finally found a background tall enough for tank. I never knew backgrounds this high existed, and I think everythingfishy.com is the only one who sells them.

You can't see it very well, but I'm using that lovely rock wall background. I'm hoping to create a natural river look.

Once the tank and background were secured, I shelled out the 200 bucks needed for a new lighting system. I got a 48inch Sunpaq retrofit kit with 2 65 watt dual daylight bulbs and 2 65 watt actinic bulbs. I think I'm going to trade the blue bulbs for two more daylights.

I installed this kit myself ^^ and it turned out pretty good for my first attempt. However, I haven't yet figured out how to correctly install my hinges. Does anyone have any suggestions? It took my a year to finally find a company that sold them and had them in stock and now I can't manage to get them on at the right angle.

Now, onto the set up!
Old 07-26-2007, 09:34 AM   #4
Saraja87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Default The Magic Equation

What do you get when you add water, gravel, plants, and fish? Why a bacteria bloom of course!

Thats some sexy water there. I'm hoping that bacteria settles down in about a week. To help the process along, I used the gravel from my old 110 and that little hanging basket is full of that peat moss stuff that LFS pack potted plants in. It's from the plants in a very mature tank at one of my local LFS and the guy stayed open till 10pm to give me a chance to pick it up. <3

Sadly, there were casualties Living in tiny tanks in my bathroom can't be very healthy and thats where all my lovelies were stuck while my room was being painted for a week. RIP one goldbarb, one bleeding heart tetra, one flag fish and one platty. My tank was like a graveyard of doom :'( Thankfully, everyone else seems to be doing well, especially my beloved angels. I've been obsessed with them for about 6 years. Some beauty shots...

Please excuse the foggy water

Five out of 6, I'll get a good shot eventually...

Do you have...*gasp* Food???

The big kahuna and his protege

Don't I have lovely fins? My veil tail koi.

The baby of the group who thinks he's a big shot.

Actually a koi, but looks like your classic gold.

My oldest and dearest. He got into a fight with a very aggressive angel I used to have and just barely survived. I had to salt dip him and then keep him alive by swirling water passed his gills and massaging his body with my fingers. To this day I have no idea how he survived. He was definitely floating pathetically on his side without breathing for a few min. He still swims a little crooked but otherwise is happy and healthy.

My second youngest, purchased with the baby of the group

I also have a beautiful wildtype angel that is very shy. You can see a few shots of her in some of the other pics but I haven't taken a good individual shot yet.

All the plants in the pictures are what was salvaged from my old tank. The crypt in front and that odd tall leaf plant in the back were purchased for their peat moss.

Next step, more plants...
Old 07-26-2007, 01:57 PM   #5
tropicalfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

There were casualties, because it appears that you did not run a proper cycle. Great start, but return most of the fish, the tank needs more time to cycle.
Rena Filtstar #137!
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 02:07 PM   #6
kunerd
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (9/100%)

It says she placed media from her old tank into her new one. i thought you were not suppose to do a fishless cycle. Good looking tank by the way. My only suggestion is dump the fake background and paint it black. But thats just me I love black backgrounds, oh and angels tooo.
Filstar Pimp #27

"Insert your own tag line here"
kunerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 06:26 PM   #7
Saraja87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I know the cycle was a bit early but the casualties were from lack of oxygen, the same thing that killed my first set of angels when i moved them into the first 110. My timer went bad and the air pump turned off in the middle of the night, leaving everyone gasping for breath in the morning. Unfortunately, I was on the other side of the city and didn't make it back home until those poor guys had been lost. Everyone else was on the verge of suffocating too, but i put the air back on and stuck a powerhead at the surface to help with CO2 exchange and the gasping stopped. Now everyone seems fine, but I have the air going 24/7 just to be safe.

It seems that in tall tanks there's just not enough air for a larger fish load. Hopefully my plants will make up for that once they really take off

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalfish View Post
There were casualties, because it appears that you did not run a proper cycle. Great start, but return most of the fish, the tank needs more time to cycle.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:03 PM   #8
tropicalfish
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

You said that you had emperor and canister filters. THere is no additional need for an airstone.
Rena Filtstar #137!
tropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
Roc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)

Where are all those Vals you got from me?
Old 07-26-2007, 07:28 PM   #10
macclellan
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)

Nice tall un! Beautiful angels and LOTS of them. I'd go with black background too...I don't see how perfectly stacked rocks makes a 'natural river scene' lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraja87 View Post
What do you get when you add water, gravel, plants, and fish? Why a bacteria bloom of course!
You usually get an ammonia spike too with that few plants. Are you testing ammonia & nitrite levels? that might be the cause over lack of oxygen. HOB's with biowheels do hella surface agitation.
macclellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
Saraja87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm only running the two canister filters. I don't like hang off the back filters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalfish View Post
You said that you had emperor and canister filters. THere is no additional need for an airstone.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #12
Saraja87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Glad you asked Here's the new pictures!

Again you have to ignore the cloudy water, but they look really lovely in there. Thank you again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc View Post
Where are all those Vals you got from me?
Old 07-26-2007, 08:08 PM   #13
Saraja87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thank you ^^ I love my angels. I think the rocks were better in concept than in practice, but I think I can work with them. I always thought that black was too harsh with plants, but hopefully i'll get enough tall ones that they cover everything. I'm expecting some awesome ludwigia and crypt (balanese?) and of course the fantastic val from iroc. Deff. jump on any sales he has

I tested the water once right before i moved everyone in and all the levels were within the "safe" range. I'm only feeding them a tiny bit every couple days to prevent an ammonia spike. Once the bacteria is established i'll get back to their regular feeding schedule: flakes twice a day, blood worms and brine shrimp once a day. They're little piggies.

I think i'm going to do another water test tomorrow. I'll post the results!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
Nice tall un! Beautiful angels and LOTS of them. I'd go with black background too...I don't see how perfectly stacked rocks makes a 'natural river scene' lol

You usually get an ammonia spike too with that few plants. Are you testing ammonia & nitrite levels? that might be the cause over lack of oxygen. HOB's with biowheels do hella surface agitation.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:44 PM   #14
Roc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (43/100%)

Just my 2 cents but thats a lot of food.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:59 PM   #15
Saraja87
Planted Tank Enthusiast

yep ^^ They're in full breeding mode and their appetite triples. I have to say though, the frozen food makes a Huge difference. They look much healthier and more colorful. Most of the time its the angels and gouramis that get the bulk of the frozen food and everyone else is left with the flakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iroc View Post
Just my 2 cents but thats a lot of food.

Tags
110, tall