Enjoying Your Tank - And Keeping A Light Cycle
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 12-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
crcarlsontech
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Enjoying Your Tank - And Keeping A Light Cycle

So I have two tanks in my home office. I have learned the hard way about unwanted algae and leaving the lights on too long.

My question is, how can I maintain a light cycle, but still have enough light to enjoy my tanks when I work? I typically spend 12 to 16 hours a day in my home office(i am a freelance web developer) and the moonlighting systems arent really bright enough for me to take a break and enjoy my tanks.

Currently I do not turn the lights on in the tanks until noon and then they are off again by 6pm. I keep cherry shrimp, otocinclus, subwassertang and anubias b. -- nothing special, no co2, plenty of t5 wattage when the cycle is on, no complaints about the tanks themselves -- just trying to figure out if there is a way to keep them lit enough to enjoy them throughout my sometimes very long work days?
crcarlsontech is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #2
MrSlumpy
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

Since you have 2 tanks, make one a morning tank and one an evening tank. Or as an alternative, stop working such long hours.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

I use a combo of cfl bulbs and led. cfl is for plant growth and LEDs are more for viewing. When i'm up and about I just use the LEDs and have them turned down. CFL range from 6-8 hours a day while I am away.

Alternately, I sometimes leave one cfl bulb on and turn off all the other lights. This creates a very dramatic look. after a decent photoperiod I can turn that one off and another one on
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 12:58 AM   #4
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)

You can split the day and give the tanks a break of a couple of hours.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #5
Racedoc
Planted Member

I recently changed to a twice a day photoperiod - 2 hours in the morning when I'm getting ready for the day, and 6 hours in the late afternoon/evening when everyone can enjoy it as well.
Racedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:17 AM   #6
THE V
Planted Tank Obsessed

I run my lights for 14 hours per day on my 125G. Of course I've only got 230W of CFL about 2" above the surface.

I spend several days per week working at my dining room table watching the fish swim as a break.
THE V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
crcarlsontech
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
You can split the day and give the tanks a break of a couple of hours.
Ok this sounds cool but I am confused.

My experience with plant life is this (lets say im growing "tomatoes")

Veg cycle (the process where the plant grows, produces no fruit or flower)
Flower Cycle(the process when the plant produces fruit or flower)

Do aquatic plants follow the same routine as terrestrial plants? How would breaking my light cycle affect the plants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlumpy View Post
Since you have 2 tanks, make one a morning tank and one an evening tank. Or as an alternative, stop working such long hours.
I love my work :-) that will never happen unless I am told I cant have my tanks in my home office anymore :-)

Last edited by crcarlsontech; 12-08-2013 at 03:24 PM.. Reason: adding a response to another commentor
Old 12-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #8
crcarlsontech
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by dprais1 View Post
I use a combo of cfl bulbs and led. cfl is for plant growth and LEDs are more for viewing. When i'm up and about I just use the LEDs and have them turned down. CFL range from 6-8 hours a day while I am away.

Alternately, I sometimes leave one cfl bulb on and turn off all the other lights. This creates a very dramatic look. after a decent photoperiod I can turn that one off and another one on

The LEDs I have used before seemed to be great for growing beard/hair algae...which totally ruined some of my mosses. what type of LED set up are you using?
Old 12-08-2013, 05:52 PM   #9
dprais1
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crcarlsontech View Post
The LEDs I have used before seemed to be great for growing beard/hair algae...which totally ruined some of my mosses. what type of LED set up are you using?

I have the satellite+, for the 'growing time' I use the yellow setting giving me the maximum par for this fixture. Then for simple viewing mode I switch to the dark blue setting and reduce the white light by a couple clicks. The plant and fish colors are better, the shadows are better---think evening colors and intensity vs midday.
dprais1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #10
crcarlsontech
Algae Grower

These satellite set ups are shockingly affordable. Total T5 replacement?

Is this the product you're using?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...m?pcatid=26107

Tags
lighting