how do you read the chart
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 02-10-2004, 06:56 PM   #1
wendyv
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

ops: I feel like a dummy but how do you read the chart for co2 content of aquarium water on Pauls aquatic plants at htt://paul.aaquaria.com/conditions/CO2chart.htm
I did all my testing and my ph is at 7 and my kh was 20 drops x10 = 100 ppm. The chart shows kh from 1 to 20; so is the kh 10 as it only goes to 20? If so, then I have too much co2 in my tank which is what my old co2 tester was telling me but everyone when I posted that said that without adding any co2 that was impossible! So now I am stumped! Please help me .
My other tests using new testers was that phosphates were 0, gh was at 5 drops x20 = 100 ppm, ammonia was at .025 ppm, nitrites was at 0.1mg and O2 was at 8 mg. at 26 C. Temperature is a bit high and I am trying to lower it; the filter was close to an air outlet of our stove and got the water a bit warmer then I wanted. I ran out of my nitrate tester but they did a tester before my water change yesterday at the pet store and it was fine. I bought a tester from them, unfortunately one of the bottles was missing; so has to be returned.
Thanks for any info. on using this chart and if my co2 is indeed too high. Fish seem fine.
Wendy
wendyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-10-2004, 07:09 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (175/100%)

You need to divide the kH ppm that you measured by 18, to get to kH degrees as used by the chart.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 07:17 PM   #3
wendyv
Algae Grower

Thanks, so I would presume that my kh is 100ppm divided by 18 = 5.56; so by that chart it would be between 15-18 mg per litre of co2 in my tank. Is that right; sorry but just to make sure that I am reading you correctly?
Thanks for your reply.
Wendy
Old 02-10-2004, 07:25 PM   #4
Wasserpest
Are these real?

You are reading that correctly. Keep in mind that little errors in your pH and kH test results can lead to very different CO2 chart readings. For example, if the pH is actually 7.4 rather than 7, the CO2 reading is suddenly only 6 ppm.
Old 02-10-2004, 07:31 PM   #5
wendyv
Algae Grower

That's true. I am using litmus paper for my ph testing as my hydrophonic store has assured me that that is the only real test for ph and can not be wrong. Put it into my tap water which has always been 7 and some ph 7 regulator for an old ph pen which I am trying to get working again, they all say 7, so I am thinking I am pretty well guaranteed that that is what it is. If so, from Paul's site it says that co2 should be between 10-25 mg and assuming the ph is correct and I have 15-18 mg, I wouldn't have to add any co2 for my plants and it is still safe for my fish. Is that correct?
Thanks again for any replies.
Wendy
Old 02-10-2004, 08:00 PM   #6
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyv
Thanks, so I would presume that my kh is 100ppm divided by 18 = 5.56; so by that chart it would be between 15-18 mg per litre of co2 in my tank. Is that right; sorry but just to make sure that I am reading you correctly?
Thanks for your reply.
Wendy
5.56 is degrees of hardness which is how the chart is setup. PPM is the same as mg/liter.

Marcel
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 08:16 PM   #7
Wasserpest
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyv
I am using litmus paper for my ph testing as my hydrophonic store has assured me that that is the only real test for ph and can not be wrong.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
And of course this happens to be the pH test they sell...

Whatever... what counts isn't a particular number on a chart, but how your plants look and grow. If you are not happy with what you see, you will have to forget the litmus paper and invest in some halfway decent pH test for some more precision.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:26 PM   #8
wendyv
Algae Grower

So just out of curiousity, do you think the ph testers at the pet store are more reliable then the litmus paper? Why I am asking is I did have an old ph test kit awhile ago and granted it was an old tester but didn't have an expiry date so I did a test and it was something like 7.8 and I kept adding buffer to bring it down and it wouldn't move. Then did the litmus and found out is was something like 6.4; my friends ph pen also said 6.4 and she swears by litmus paper too. As mentioned I do have a ph pen but it is sitting right now in cleaning solution as it hasn't been used in awhile and is not very reliable.
Everything seems to look good in the tank; touch wood, so I am not freaking out yet:lol:.
Wendy
Old 02-10-2004, 08:39 PM   #9
Wasserpest
Are these real?

I do have heard better things about liquid tests than paper strips. I have used both, as well as hand held testers. There are probably different kind of litmus paper tests, and the one you are using might be really good.

It's just that when I hear "my pH is 7" a little warning flag goes off... Does that person mean it's "neutral" rather than acidic or alkaline, or "around 7" rather than 6 or 8, or does that mean 7.0 vs 6.9 or 7.1.

If you can clearly read 6.8 vs 7.0 vs 7.2 on the paper test, it is a good one!
Old 02-10-2004, 10:39 PM   #10
wendyv
Algae Grower

Okay, thanks, was just wondering litmus/liquid, litmus/liquid which was better.
This product is by Grotek Mfg. and the 6.8 is more of a green color, the 7.0 is a blue green and the 7.2 is a real blue color; mine totally match the 7.0. But you are right, they do not have 6.9 or 7.1, so it is around 7.0.
The chart from Paul's site though does also jump .2 for each reading and I never did see a liquid tester in the pet store that had .1 increment readings.
Thank you again for your helpful postings.
Wendy
Old 02-11-2004, 12:59 AM   #11
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

In your post you have this:

Quote:
kh was 20 drops x10 = 100 ppm
It looks like your math is funny. 20x10=200
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 02:06 AM   #12
wendyv
Algae Grower

Your right Rex, but it was more my fingers:-), my kh was 10 drops of the testing stuffx10=100 ppm. Sorry:-(.
Thanks for the chart; although I can't open the darned thing; tried every program I have. I can open it with a quick view but there is no color chart; so will have to check out the site again and maybe try to figure out how to open the one on the site. I have acrobat reader; so can't understand why it wouldn't open for that. Think that was the program that it was suppose to open with?
Anyway thanks again.
Wendy
Old 02-11-2004, 03:03 AM   #13
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

It's an Excel spreadsheet. Or I can send you the .pdf On my FAQ it opens in a separate window. If you have a popup killer installed it may be preventing the window from opening.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:53 PM   #14
wendyv
Algae Grower

You sent me the excel spreadsheet but it won't open; I tried every program I have to open it and on your site when I click onto it; all I get is a tiny square icon on the upper left hand side of the page.
Wendy
Old 02-12-2004, 01:21 AM   #15
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

Try right clicking on the link and use the "Save as" option and open the chart locally.