Photography - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 03-08-2005, 11:21 PM   #31
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass-gardens.com
EF 300mm 2.8 L, is there a faster one I can afford?

I also have a 100-400 USM IS but obviously it's not as fast, but handy.
Both nice pieces of glass you have there.

Given a bright sunny day, the 100-400 would make a great lens. The zoom factor on it makes it easy to compose a picture and the 400mm is a great reach (I have to use a 1.4x TC on my 100-300 to get to 420). The other nice thing about this lens is the IS feature on it, making it applicable to shoot with it handheld. Not exactly a L glass, but for what it is, does it quite well.

The 300mm 2.8 L is definitely a great lens from what I've seen from it. Perfect for low light and is relatively sharp even with a 2x TC. Would effectively turn it into a 600mm 5.6 lens, which is still quite fast (you're shooting at this range on average anyways; maybe a stop or two more if you're using a polarizer). Of course, that might explain the hefty price tag of nearly $4k for this great piece of glass. As for an affordable lens that is affordable and faster than this, I don't think so. The Sigma "Beastma" has longer reach than this (300-800) and the price is just 10% more than this, but that's a 5.6 lens. Not faster, but longer and for that price is really hard to beat (optically, it's very nice).

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-09-2005, 01:01 AM   #32
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

The zoom is an L series, sorry bout that.

As for price, I paid exactly $1200.00 for the 300 and $1000.00 for the 100-400 both very used, the paint is ugly and on the 300, the autofocus goes hayball on occasion, but if you shut the camera off and on it comes back fine. But the optics are flawless and that's what counts.

I purchased them at a police auction. No one bid on them but me, I suppose the appearance scared them off, but I had the chance to mount them on my body prior to the auction (be nice to your loco PD it pays) so I knew they worked except for the auto focus glitch, I'll get it fixed when it dorks completely.

Unfortunately, even the 300 isn't all that great in low light without a tripod, when I say early morning and evening, I mean when the sun is just above the horizon. The only game you can get a shot at around here in broad daylight are deer. I have three CD's full of deer photo's, and probably 30 or so undeveloped rolls. I'm going after the bobcats, fox, coyotes, which are bit more reclusive if not rare.And they tend not to stand still so a tripod is a bit impractical although a monopod helps.

I'm hoping for the impossible this year, there are two confirmed cougars in the Saylorville area, visual sightings and tracks. Spring would be the best time and I have a couple of spots picked out near where the one set was found that may prove fruitful.
glass-gardens.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 06:40 AM   #33
Ibn
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (8/100%)

Wow...talk about a steal for those lenses.

Sounds like you have some wildlife that you can shoot on a pretty regular basis. Might want to set up a hide or something to stake out the more reclusive ones.

Ibn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:43 PM   #34
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass-gardens.com
Something comes to mind though, if you have a 300D, and live in the US, please tell me you bought it from a good dealer like B&H, the 300D is a grey market in the US, the warranty is only as good as the place you bought it from, the Canon USA warranty is void.
I got it at Circuit City for $709. Are you talking about overseas versions, though? I head that their US warranty was void, but if you bought it in a Brick & Mortar store here, then they sure as hell better give me service here.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:25 PM   #35
glass-gardens.com
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

Funny you should mention the word steal seeing as they came from a police auction.

The sad fact is, these lenses came from a drug bust. As crank becomes ever more popular, it's dragging people down that you wouldn't expect, as a result police auctions around here are getting more and more upscale in offerings.

One of the houses we looked at was fresh from a HAZMAT cleanup of the garage where a meth lab was operated, the guys personal belongings were still in the house and garage waitng to be officially forfeited.

Myself, a good triple espresso is all I need.

I have a portable deer stand I use mostly, works great.
glass-gardens.com is offline   Reply With Quote