green algae bloom
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 12-06-2013, 03:37 PM   #1
mikestropicalfish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

green algae bloom

so, reef guy here new to planted tanks. I have green algae bloom.

tank-37tall
filter-hydor canister with chemipure
lights-had two fluval 24" plant LED lights on.(everything was fine for months until I turned up light period to 12hrs)

I removed one light unit and backed off photpd to 7 hours. is this tank too tall with to much open water? should I just blackout and waterchange after 3 days? here is a pic before bloom, I also removed all the tetras.
MikeClick image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6003.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	243337
mikestropicalfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2013, 05:04 PM   #2
Raymond S.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I believe you haven't enough plants to use up all the nutrients. After it returns to clear you can just put the lights back on the first
schedule where it didn't get the bloom. The algae is always there but in such small amount that you can't see it. The extra length of
light gives the algae more growing time as well as it does to the plants. Then/w that fairly conservative amount of plants, the algae
took over as it has enough nutrients but not enough light on the "before" schedule.
I think the worst is yet to come if you could still see in there to catch the Tetra's. A 50% water change will likely appear not to help
as the algae will bounce right back in hrs but A. don't feed the fish, B. go to 5 hrs light and in a few days it will die. The water
change is not so much to be rid of the algae as it's very concentrated and there will be enough of it left to seed a new growth.
But the water change is really to rid some of the nutrients from the water.
Your plants are fine BTW. Those tanks/w fertilizers being used "need" what "they" call "heavily planted" to use up all those ferts.
You use flake fish food(mostly) and it contains some of the nutrients the plants (and/or algae) use. TRY to use it a bit more
sparingly, like stop putting it in when the first piece hits the bottom. If there are multiple pieces hitting the bottom you likely
are feeding a bit much. "Too" tall really just means less light gets down to the plants and the red on the red plants says enough.
Plants which have colors other than green need more light to get that red. They usually will grow, but only in green if not
enough light is there. My knowledge in that aria to know exactly which ones just grow green and which will still get red isn't
good enough to let you know for sure on that one however.

P.S. Try a few pieces of Rotala Macranda in either back corner. It's a "stemmed" plant and they get most of their nutrients
from the water column so it will help keep the bloom away. It's one of the "reds" but you might not have quite enough light
to get it red, but may get pink shades on the upper leaves. Rotala indica does basicly the same but only gets the pink at
best. Both supposedly only get about 14" high so it might look rather nice back there. Just thinking out loud.

Last edited by Raymond S.; 12-06-2013 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: P.S.
Raymond S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
mikestropicalfish
Algae Grower

problem is is that I already tried water changes...I don't fed flake...I cut the light back a week ago....still have bloom. I have rotalla indica and red tmple, they both are groing nice and red....I think I need a blackout. also, I don't use ferts....
Old 12-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #4
mikestropicalfish
Algae Grower

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF6027.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	243377
todays condition...
Old 12-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #5
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Whats your tap water testing? I'd do a light blackout, and a 50% water change each day for a week, but out of curiosity why are you using chemipure, and whats inside your filter for media, when did you last clean it/replace media, and are you dosing your tank with anything?

Is there any changes added or removed from/to the tank in the last couple weeks?
Old 12-06-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
mikestropicalfish
Algae Grower

chemipure was to remove nutrients. I use R.O. canister filter has no fine sponge or floss, only the noodles, the course sponges, and the chemipure...but mind you it was like this for six months just fine. filter was recently cleaned, this problem is def do to way too much light, just a matter of fixing it now. please read entire thread. *filter was leaned AFTER the bloom.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:18 PM   #7
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

I'm always puzzled at people using RO for planted fish tanks. I get the shrimp reasons, and i get the saltwater tank reasons as i have those to, but why for your tank? Is your tap water really that bad?

I did read the entire thread before btw :-) But usually water volume algae is a combination of things, not just lights, and usually it can be fixed without changing the lights. Water volume algae is more phosphate related, and light contributes, its almost always the excess of nutrients that allow it to become blooms. Correcting the nutrients issue can correct it without the light having to be changed or used less, but i do see a lot of the time people confuse cycle blooms with water volume algae.

Chemipure is usually just a short term bandaid, and covers up the issue(s). Personally i'd ditch it, and get straight to correcting the problem, plus it'll save you from buying anymore of it.
Old 12-06-2013, 09:26 PM   #8
edstewart5
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrypticLifeStyle View Post
I'm always puzzled at people using RO for planted fish tanks. I get the shrimp reasons, and i get the saltwater tank reasons as i have those to, but why for your tank? Is your tap water really that bad?
I just recently switched to RO water for my planted tank. And yes, my tap is that bad. It has a GH of 0 but a KH of 19. The pH is 8.4-8.6 straight from the tap. And I want to have the ability for it to be consistent and for my rams to thrive, which means lower pH. Also, from others on this forum and my roommates, for some reason my tap causes staghorn. And it's nasty.
edstewart5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #9
mikestropicalfish
Algae Grower

Quote:

I did read the entire thread before btw :-) But usually water volume algae is a combination of things, not just lights, and usually it can be fixed without changing the lights. Water volume algae is more phosphate related, and light contributes, its almost always the excess of nutrients that allow it to become blooms. Correcting the nutrients issue can correct it without the light having to be changed or used less, but i do see a lot of the time people confuse cycle blooms with water volume algae.

Chemipure is usually just a short term bandaid, and covers up the issue(s). Personally i'd ditch it, and get straight to correcting the problem, plus it'll save you from buying anymore of it.
chemipure is not a short term solution, it is the industry standard carbon media of choice across the board for general purpose and phosphate removal. my phosphates only test high when I use tap water. this is a lighting issue. this tank is in my tropical fish store...I probly had too many fish and too much lihght. unless you are familiar with the new Fluval units I am using you may not understand...but that was like th equivilant of 300 watts of metal halide on this tank 12 hours a day plus ambient light. too much. and yes, nutrients like phosphate def played a role...the algae must consume something to bloom.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:17 PM   #10
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

Not really, it's kind of frowned upon especially on reefer forums, as it's only temporary helping fix a problem thats usually bound to happen again so in a way it's a band aid to help extend time per say, and it's max effectiveness is maybe 6 days. It's an expense that can be removed.

With a regular water change schedule, water volume algae shouldn't happen with just light. Just pointing out to you don't get too wrapped up on it being the only issue. Thats all i'm saying. Yes i'm familiar with the newer fluval LED lights :-)
Old 12-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
mikestropicalfish
Algae Grower

Lol. My shop has 16 saltwater tanks. Ive been doing this for 30 years, its hrdly frowned upon...chemipur defently is more of a temporary fix tool i agree....but is superior to standard carbon which is done in 6 days yes....but chemipur has more than carbon in it...one unit is good for 4-6month for phos/silicate removal. And i already agreed that nutrients play a role here. I blacked out the tank for two days now and it is chrystal clear and all perametets test zero. Time fore waterchange and ease the lighting back.
Old 12-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
CrypticLifeStyle
Wannabe Guru

The bottle say's 4-6 months, in reality it dosnt. I dont know a single reefer who actually still uses the stuff ever not have to replace it after 1-2 months. Guess it didn't help with the phosphates this time <shrugs>.

Granular Ferric Oxide, basically a phosphate sponge mixed with quality carbon. Just keep up with the water changes, and you can run those lights as long as you want.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:21 PM   #13
mikestropicalfish
Algae Grower

dude, you don't know everything. calm down. people use it all the time for quick fixes. when I serviced ATM's tanks in LA(tanked) we used it all the time. I don't really want to discuss chemipur anymore. the tank is fixed now, thx for your input. but lets say the issue comes back, and let me make this clear...I am a 30 vet of the tropical fish industry so I don't need lessons on the basics, in fact I only posted this thinking it would be fun to talk basics because sometimes its fun to go back to the drawing board, there is always something one can learn, and ive actually never done a planted tank in all this time lol! mostly an sps guy. im sure it will return because I know damn well there is a crapload of detritus in my gravel, which when I turned up the photoperiod fed this algae bloom. Although I have killed the algae with a blackout, and removed dead cells with a water change...I know the gravel still has excess nutrients....would you really think simply doing water changes weekly is going to keep this issue gone?? im not going to do daily changes forever, trying to run a shop here...don't you suppose I need to maybe gravel vac and replant and then not overload with fish/nutrients this time?? Lets hear some input minus the condescension!

Last edited by mikestropicalfish; 12-07-2013 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: update
Old 12-07-2013, 03:58 PM   #14
Raymond S.
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
The bottle say's 4-6 months, in reality it dosnt. I dont know a single reefer who actually still uses the stuff ever not have to replace it after 1-2 months. Guess it didn't help with the phosphates this time <shrugs>.

Granular Ferric Oxide, basically a phosphate sponge mixed with quality carbon. Just keep up with the water changes, and you can run those lights as long as you want.
This is really funny. Why ? Glad you asked...
First and most important: Algae can NOT grow without nutrients. Just like any other plant can't.
Example in an extreme: take a 75 G tank and put 8 of those Fluval lights from front to back along it so there's 300 PAR in there
and all at 6700K.
Then fill with pure distilled water (R/O)...nothing will grow in it even if the lights are on 24/7.

Second: and this is killer...WE, as in people who like for their plants to get full nutrients as much as possible...PUT IN Phosphate
as an ingredient of the Micro/Macro ferts pack just so that plants such as Wisteria which are Phosphate hogs can have enough of it.
And now someone says "you need to remove all those Phosphates"...LOL...LOL...
I'm rolling all over the floor here because of the diametrically opposed view points(as it appears) on the same subject.

Guys...this is supposed to be FUN, a HOBBY...do you remember that ?

BTW: seems to me that putting in one Wisteria plant at $3.99 will for the life of the tank, keep the Phosphates used up
better/more completely than anything else ever would...but that's just my opinion...LOL..........
Raymond S. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 04:16 PM   #15
mikestropicalfish
Algae Grower

hmmm, interesting. I was thinking I need a higher consuming plant in there to help, I guess the plant gods weren't kidding when the said plant HEAVILY!!! I'm still wondering if I screwed up with this tall ass tank, just had it sitting around...

Nice input on the lights, I am liking these so far and was not wanting to only use one. I think I may gravel vac and replant as im sure the gravel is a mudpile of fish crap and detritus...any thoughts? a water change and adding plants would be easy being that this is in my shop and my plant selling tank is full of stuff to pick from for free!