How to get crystal clear water?? - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 07-23-2007, 01:37 AM   #16
bigstick120
Algae Eater

PTrader: (244/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer_Simpson View Post
Are Diatom Filters supposed to be used 24/7?? I read that they are only for temporary use to clear and clean water and not permanent use.
Its a filter that you run every once in awhile, when you want to have really clear water or green water. You have to be careful running it as well. Depending on how much crap is in the water it will really clog up. I notice a significant flow reduction after about 6 hours on my tanks. I personally wouldn't let it run more then 24hrs at a time without recharging it.
bigstick120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2007, 06:36 PM   #17
NwFishinfool
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I only run my Diatom for about 4 hours at a time. My wife came into the room and said, "OMG". If you would have told me it would make the water so clear I would have bought it for you!
NwFishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 08:08 PM   #18
Nbot
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

LOL, same thing happened to my tank w/ the white water (bacteria bloom), it kept getting cloudier every day and I kept complaining about it and my wife kept thinking it was normal, finally it got VERY clouded (couldn't see the back wall) and bought the TurboTwist, now she thinks its one of the best things we've bought on the tank
Old 07-23-2007, 08:15 PM   #19
BSS
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Okay, I'll offer a cheaper opinion.... My water seems to me to be crystal clear, and I just do regular water changes and put a fair amount of filter floss (the WalMart pillow-stuffing) in my filter.

Won't that do the same thing? Or do I just not know what 'clear' really means ?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:41 PM   #20
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS View Post
Okay, I'll offer a cheaper opinion.... My water seems to me to be crystal clear, and I just do regular water changes and put a fair amount of filter floss (the WalMart pillow-stuffing) in my filter.

Won't that do the same thing? Or do I just not know what 'clear' really means ?
You can get good results with that option!! Its fine media...

You can also use ACUREL F....great stuff.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:24 PM   #21
Got Fish?
Planted Member

okay i have a marineland 280 filter, it has an extra cartridge to add another carbon filter if i wnted, so ibuy marine floss, and just stuff a lot into the cartridge, and it will help make my water clear????
Old 07-23-2007, 11:33 PM   #22
Nbot
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

yep, lots of people here like the filter floss as a water "polisher"

However, if you have a white water (bacteria) or green water outbreak none of that will help....
Old 07-24-2007, 01:29 AM   #23
KDahlin
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbot View Post
yep, lots of people here like the filter floss as a water "polisher"

However, if you have a white water (bacteria) or green water outbreak none of that will help....
Typically, if your cloudy water is bacteria, it will resolve itself within 2 weeks and won't require treatment. Green water, on the other hand, if it appears in a cycled tank, usually does require treatment to clear (blackout, UV, diatom filter, etc.)

"We are living on this planet as if we have another one to go to". T. Swearingen
KDahlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 07:32 PM   #24
Got Fish?
Planted Member

yea my wate ris defiantly not green, it was more a white cloudy color, i'm goign to buy some if that floss, but my water has already started to clear......which is awsome
Old 07-25-2007, 12:55 AM   #25
lemonlime
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Clear water: One of the longest lessons I've learned in fish keeping is very clean feeding. I often used to just hastily toss a pinch of flake or bloodworms but now I like to feed very slowly. Sometimes I may spend 5-10 feeding my fish, really making sure nothing hits the bottom that isn't quickly gobbled by my cories or loaches.

Perhaps not the absolute solution to crystal clean water but you might be surprised how much cleaner the tank stays, I was.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:42 PM   #26
oni_XL
Algae Grower

After reading all the good things in every forum about Purigen, I got myself a bag yesterday. Went home, plop it in my canister, and within 6-8 hours, my water which was greenish clears up. The water is 100% clear and no coloration whatsoever, simply an amzing product, could be the most amazing aquarium product ever!
oni_XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 08:53 PM   #27
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

I agree about using a diatom filter; you'd be amazed at how clear you water will get. Sadly, it will not last long.

Using chemical media such as Purigen and Renew are the next best thing as they serve the same function, trapping particles.
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:05 AM   #28
Chris267
Algae Grower

Does anyone know where I can get the mesh bags to place Purigen in? Has anyone tried using ladies tights/nylons for putting it into the filter??
Chris267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 01:08 AM   #29
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

Petsmart has them on sale. Its called "The Bag". bout 5 bucks...and is reusable of course.

And with regards to using nylon, you are tempting fate there...the stitching does stretch and open up over time. I would never say not to try it, but I think your asking for trouble considering "The Bag" is so cheap.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:14 AM   #30
Chris267
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Petsmart has them on sale. Its called "The Bag". bout 5 bucks...and is reusable of course.

And with regards to using nylon, you are tempting fate there...the stitching does stretch and open up over time. I would never say not to try it, but I think your asking for trouble considering "The Bag" is so cheap.
Its not price gmcreedy..I can't seem to find them here in the UK, I would rather have the proper bags..if anyone knows of a UK seller/shop/ebayer who sells in the UK I would be grateful...

Petsmart were shut down here due to bad reputation
Chris267 is offline   Reply With Quote