How to get crystal clear water??
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 07-18-2007, 08:55 PM   #1
Got Fish?
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

How to get crystal clear water??

I've always wanted to get that crystalll clear water, that u would see in the tanks in the fish mgazines....is this possible without having to buy expensive equipment????
Advertisement

Old 07-18-2007, 08:57 PM   #2
bigstick120
Algae Eater

PTrader: (244/100%)

Seachem Purgen seems to help, a diatom is the best bet, but that will cost a little money. A HOT magnum can be had for around 50.00
bigstick120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:02 PM   #3
armagedon48
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)

iv never seen a HOT magnum for 50$, i paid 85$ for mine but i had a discount. they are well worth the money in my opinion. i had green water when i got back from vacation, and 20 minutes of the magnum (also used diatom powder) the water was crystal clear.
i use it a lot with my reef tank and planted tank with pleasing results. you can stir the detritus out of the gravel and let the magnum remove it. so its kinda like a water change.
armagedon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 09:03 PM   #4
spypet
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

in addition, using a UV the first day after a water change can help.
keep in mind that the first Month of a new tank is usually cloudy.
some report 2-3 day tank blackouts help, but I don't endorse it.
spypet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:06 PM   #5
mrbelvedere
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (51/100%)
Send a message via AIM to mrbelvedere Send a message via Yahoo to mrbelvedere

Purigen works quite well on a budget, and has many other benefits as well.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:07 PM   #6
Glouglou
Planted Member

Default Seachem Purigen

From Seachem:
Quote:
Purigen™ is a premium synthetic adsorbent that is unlike any other filtration product. It is not a mixture of ion exchangers or adsorbents, but a unique macro-porous synthetic polymer that removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate and capacity that exceeds all others by over 500%. Purigen™ controls ammonia, nitrites and nitrates by removing nitrogenous organic waste that would otherwise release these harmful compounds. Purigen’s™ impact on trace elements is minimal. It significantly raises redox. It polishes water to unparalleled clarity. Purigen™ darkens progressively as it exhausts, and is easily renewed by treating with bleach. Purigen™ is designed for both marine and freshwater use. This product is sold by volume. Cited weight is minimal weight.

http://www.seachem.com/products/prod...s/Purigen.html
CO2 pressurized,
SoftWater Amazonian style,
Peat and Ferts,

Don’t tell me I howe my life to cyanobacteria!
aaargh!
Glouglou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 11:09 PM   #7
Got Fish?
Planted Member

well i have a marineland hangover filter for my tank its a 30 gallon and this filter can handle up to 50 gallons, so will this work???
Old 07-18-2007, 11:16 PM   #8
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

I use a combination of Seachem Purigen and Ultraviolet Sterilizer. My water is always so crystal clear that I sometimes have to give my head a shake and take a good hard look at the tank cause the water is so clear that it almost looks like I have no water in there.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 12:55 AM   #9
AaronT
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (202/100%)

A diatom filter gets the water clearer than you can imagine.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #10
NwFishinfool
Algae Grower

I bought a diatom a few months back to take care of a GW outbreak. Amazing clarity.... I run it now just because it makes the water look so good! You can't even tell it's in the tank!
NwFishinfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:38 AM   #11
Got Fish?
Planted Member

hahaha aight guys looks liek everyone is pretty much using a diatom filter....um what could i expect the cost to be around?
Old 07-22-2007, 06:21 PM   #12
Nbot
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)

I had "white" cloudy water breakout on me, broke down and bought a Turbo Twist 3X, installed it inline w/ my Fluval 305 (ditch the ribbed hosing and use 3/4" vinyl hosing, it will install right onto the barbs of the Fluval, the Turbo Twist, and the return head perfectly

I can't say enough about the TurboTwist, LFS have them too maybe $120....don't think it will work with your hang-over filter though

Purigen is cheap ($10?) and many people have success w/ just that, I would start there and give it a shot, it doesn't hurt to have it around later...only one of 4 LFS in town had it though, might have to look around
Old 07-22-2007, 07:13 PM   #13
Nightshop
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Nightshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbot View Post
I had "white" cloudy water breakout on me, broke down and bought a Turbo Twist 3X, installed it inline w/ my Fluval 305 (ditch the ribbed hosing and use 3/4" vinyl hosing, it will install right onto the barbs of the Fluval, the Turbo Twist, and the return head perfectly

I can't say enough about the TurboTwist, LFS have them too maybe $120....don't think it will work with your hang-over filter though

Purigen is cheap ($10?) and many people have success w/ just that, I would start there and give it a shot, it doesn't hurt to have it around later...only one of 4 LFS in town had it though, might have to look around
I agree. Don't go out and drop $100 - $200 on a UV when Purigen might get your job done for a fraction of the price.
Old 07-22-2007, 09:40 PM   #14
jake
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (15/100%)

HOT magnum is $48.99 at BigAl'sOnline.com. Shipping is 8.45 for a total of 57.44. It's similarly priced at several other online stores, such as thatpetplace.com, drs. foster and smith, and several others.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:21 AM   #15
Homer_Simpson
Wannabe Guru

Are Diatom Filters supposed to be used 24/7?? I read that they are only for temporary use to clear and clean water and not permanent use.
Homer_Simpson is offline   Reply With Quote