Converting 100 gallon planted to Topsoil from garden shop journal - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 12-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #31
Mmdiscus
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cloudness is gone, since i put cap already i dont want to disturb it by introducing peat, maybe next time. Is that ok?

My question is when should i connect external canister there and should i run air? Can i kinda hold plants a week in this tank untill they establish themselves a bit? Or how? Remember i have tank fish ina nother tank running this established canister..

Thankx
Mmdiscus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #32
Mmdiscus
Algae Grower

Just planted in the dirt, water isnt cloudy at all, just a tiny bit:
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	249617
Old 12-22-2013, 06:00 PM   #33
Mmdiscus
Algae Grower

And a close up:

Views:	35
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	249609

Thats my temporary airpump with diy filter, i use it during water changes sometimes or just to clear up water.
Old 12-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #34
Mmdiscus
Algae Grower

DAY 3, dec 24 2013.
Everyday planted some more, today planted last batch. This is how it looks now, some plants already shooting new leaves, wohoo!!. Substrate: Dirt mixed with boiled worm castings.

Click on picture to see bigger version:

Views:	43
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	250257
Old 01-10-2014, 03:18 AM   #35
Mmdiscus
Algae Grower

Its been some time since my last post. Thought i share updates. Plants grow very nicely, started shhoting new leaves immediatellyblooks like they totally love the dirt. Never had amonia spike, doing 50% daily sometimes skip a day or two.
Planting plant sisnt messy as people say, if you use twizzers properly.

I did also upgrade lights , added two T5s bulb ficture, they are so much brigther that my other T8s

The only problem is brown algae i have, and some slicky black algae on moss.. Today i started dosing with excel, two capfuls per day. Also going to use tetracyclin for the cyanobacteria ugly algae i got.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2014, 04:44 AM   #36
erimar
Algae Grower

Nice start! I am planning an 80 gallon tank and I going to mineralize the soil. Please add more pictures of your progress and were you successful removing algae with excel?
Regards,
Erick
erimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 05:02 AM   #37
Mmdiscus
Algae Grower

Diatom algae is going away, i already put 4 corys in my tank, they seem very happy and active. All lvls normal, no amonia, no nitrite. I connected my external eheim filter back to tank, so tank was instantly cycled. I also used bactozym bacteria tabs just in case.

I treated tank 3 days with erithromecin for cyanobacteria, i also manually removed it from my moss, add excel norrmal dose a few times a week. After three days i did 70% wc. No traces of cyanobacteria anymore but tiny pieces of erythromecin made a mess out of my tank, there is some left here and there, i think i will get it removed with water changes.

Next time i do soil, i will make at least half tank eater changes daily, this time first week i didnt make that much, and got cyanobacteria break.

Overall plants are going like weeds! Amazing! I planted carpet plants, and a lot of others, will post you pictures. Everyone looks happy. Put couple shrimps in tank, snails are already everywhere, i guess i got them from plants(although each plant i manually inspect and remove snails, and put in PP solution for twenty mins).

So i am happy will post pics later. Oh and btw, i removed T8s, have now only two t5 tubes, once plant mass increases might add those t8s back.
Old 01-18-2014, 04:52 AM   #38
erimar
Algae Grower

Thank you for updating the tank progress. Please upload current pictures. I will begin a journal/thread once I begin my tank in about a month. I will keep checking your thread.
Regards,
Erick
Old 01-21-2014, 11:34 AM   #39
Mmdiscus
Algae Grower

Today bougght for five inch discus, and put in tank along with four cories that were there, here is the thread with pictures - http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=111638

Thanks tomall plantedtank members for helping me with MTS

Old 01-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #40
harilp
Planted Member

!!OMG!! Fell in love with ur tank

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk2

Don't Care about money while you enter into a hobby
harilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #41
Mmdiscus
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by harilp View Post
!!OMG!! Fell in love with ur tank

Thank you

Sent from my Blackberry Playbook using Tapatalk2

Old 01-23-2014, 05:43 AM   #42
erimar
Algae Grower

Congratulations! Your tank looks awesome and your discus are beautiful. Keep updating the thread. I didn't know you lived near Russia, a good friend of mine was from Siberia. Lol
Old 01-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #43
Mmdiscus
Algae Grower

I am dosing it weekly with macro micro liquid nutrients, dosing Excel in two or three days - afraid to dose much because i have discus. Other than that lights are eight hours a day i upgraded to T5 x2 tubes, and water changes about 50% every other day. Hope to keep my WC schedule tank gets really messy from discus food, its good i have four cories to clean up, i might add more corys later.

Old 01-24-2014, 12:00 PM   #44
Mmdiscus
Algae Grower

Discus look healthy, plants are striving. Except for red plants, thatw ere ad when i brought them from high tech tank owner, one red species dies, others are more green than red but that was expected, so no problem there.

Anyways, plant grows is superb, here are photos from different dates:

January 6:

Today, january 24:

And discus of course

Old 02-03-2014, 03:09 PM   #45
Mmdiscus
Algae Grower

Hi everyone, thought i would post a few updates.
Diatom algae was badly over driftwood and some plants, now it seems going away. I am dosing excel every other day. I am already trimming them, esp. ludwigias in the middle of the tank, they grow like weeds.

But now i see nematodes in tank, half inch hairy thin white swimming like snakes, not planaria for sure. Any ideas on how to get rid of them?

Other than that, one discus picked up BH, other eats only dry food, the other two still do not eat. I hope they will turn out OK.