Fire belly toad?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 12-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
Psycofc1
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

Fire belly toad?

I have a 40b that I am thinking of turning into a spot for some fire belly toads. Problem is I have no experience with any reptiles. Is there any advice I can get on setting up initially? I have black diamond for a base substrate and was planning on doing a dirt top with a small pool for some guppy fry. I want to plant with live plants like moss and others that are slow growing.
Psycofc1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

FBT are easy . You could sink in one or two plastic topperware bins in your soil or use half land half water .

They do need a good size water area and they hang out by the "shore" . You can use any plants you want with them because they do not dig .

They might eat the guppies because mine eat anything that they see at water surface but crickets and mealworms is their main diet.

If I was going to do it in a tank I would go for a marsh type look , with floating plants , etc and only land area about 1/3 of the tank .

This is my basic outdoor set up in which they breed in every spring but an indoor tank has lots neat possibilities .

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=443121
Lia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #3
Psycofc1
Planted Member

Thanks for the response. The marsh idea was what i was kinda going for. Do they need a beach like ramp or would they be able to get out of the water if it was even with the soil side. As for the guppies they are meant for food. Was thinking of doing a 60/40 split using plexiglass to divide the tank.
Psycofc1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 04:44 AM   #4
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Lia that is a super cool outdoor enclosure! I dont think my FBTs would fair as nicely as yours if I put them outside.....

Not sure if you want a "build" project or not but if you do, I would suggest a false bottom set up for this tank. Your plants will be happier and it will be a lot less hassle in the end. The cost is more and the build is a bit more complicated if you choose this style however its really not that hard and the realism can be superb. I have done the leaky plexiglass thing a couple of times and will never deal with that again. JMHO.

You can get super creative with the initial, egg crate base and have a great, naturalistic shoreline. A basic, great stuff background wouldnt cost much and you could silicone/coco fiber the whole BG to encourage moss growth. Probably all for under $75 at HD.

The 40B is such a perfect tank for a group of FBTs. If you want aquatic plants, the shoreline idea would be great. Riparium plants at the edge and low light, easy aquatics like anubias sp. or those small crypt packages from PS would be my choice. FBTs will monster truck your plants a bit so try the more hardy sp.

Filtration is a must with FBT. They will access both terrestrial and aquatic realms at will, carrying with them all kinds of debris. A nice canister filter like an Eheim 2213/7 would give you some gorgeous clean water!

Bill did a great job on his pauld shoreline in this tank:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=197462

A poly build would work as well if you wanted:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=196452

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your build! keep us all posted on its progress!

JD

Last edited by Learner; 12-06-2013 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: sp
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
Subtletanks91
Moss'n shrimp pimp

PTrader: (36/100%)

What's the coldest temp they can handle outside?

Subtletanks91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #6
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycofc1 View Post
Thanks for the response. The marsh idea was what i was kinda going for. Do they need a beach like ramp or would they be able to get out of the water if it was even with the soil side. As for the guppies they are meant for food. Was thinking of doing a 60/40 split using plexiglass to divide the tank.

They do not need a ramp they climb right up but in time plants are half way in the water and they also pull themselves up like that.

If you use pothos they sent runners into the water and the toads seem to enjoy that . You can plant marsh type plants .

Whichever way you set up your terrarium they are hardy and pretty .

The only difference outside is how easy the bred while inside not as easy and outside the males ONLY call when it is rainy season or consecutive days of rain , inside they call whenever they want .

Last edited by Lia; 12-11-2013 at 01:59 PM.. Reason: forgot to add something
Old 12-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #7
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtletanks91 View Post
What's the coldest temp they can handle outside?

We had a few nights of mid 50s last year and they did fine but the days hit 70s. They are just not active in 50s.

I find they prefer it warmer than most sites say because they just seem more active , eat more and nicer colors in 80s during the day.

We are still in 80s during the day and since it started raining again which is unusual for Dec ,they bred again but it is late in the year for a full week of night rains.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #8
Lia
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
Lia that is a super cool outdoor enclosure! I dont think my FBTs would fair as nicely as yours if I put them outside.....

Not sure if you want a "build" project or not but if you do, I would suggest a false bottom set up for this tank. Your plants will be happier and it will be a lot less hassle in the end. The cost is more and the build is a bit more complicated if you choose this style however its really not that hard and the realism can be superb. I have done the leaky plexiglass thing a couple of times and will never deal with that again. JMHO.

You can get super creative with the initial, egg crate base and have a great, naturalistic shoreline. A basic, great stuff background wouldnt cost much and you could silicone/coco fiber the whole BG to encourage moss growth. Probably all for under $75 at HD.

The 40B is such a perfect tank for a group of FBTs. If you want aquatic plants, the shoreline idea would be great. Riparium plants at the edge and low light, easy aquatics like anubias sp. or those small crypt packages from PS would be my choice. FBTs will monster truck your plants a bit so try the more hardy sp.

Filtration is a must with FBT. They will access both terrestrial and aquatic realms at will, carrying with them all kinds of debris. A nice canister filter like an Eheim 2213/7 would give you some gorgeous clean water!

Bill did a great job on his pauld shoreline in this tank:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=197462

A poly build would work as well if you wanted:
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=196452

Hope this helps, and best of luck with your build! keep us all posted on its progress!

JD
Your tank is fantastic , I tried to ask you a question but I got some 'solvemedia' puzzle and it said that I had to reregister in order to ask a question there.

Either way have your newts bred , what temps do you keep them at ?