[4/18/14]THE HOLDING TANK [was]Old Tank with a New Look (10 galllon)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 12-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #1
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)

[4/18/14]THE HOLDING TANK [was]Old Tank with a New Look (10 galllon)

[4/18/14
10g is now a holding/quarantine/hospital tank. Current (temp) residents: several plants and cherry/rili mix shrimp

4/14/14
20g long setup and everything moved over, 10g will be gutted, cleaned, ad used only for quarantine/hospital tank as needed.
View 20 gallon long thread here for all future updates on these fish/plants.

4/10/14

going to be transferring everything to 20 gallon soon and turn the 10 gallon into a hospital tank, see latest posts for more details on new fish and more photos

RIP Ether
Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami
August 2012-April 7 2014

3/17/14

2/19/14

2/11/2014

1/20/14

1/10/14

1/2/14

12/19/13

12/16/13

12/2/13

Original Post:
So I never had a journal for this tank before, but I finally got to re-do my 10 gallon and thought I'd show it off. Sadly no real "before" photos suffice to day it was not much to look at before the re-scape.

Tank: 10 gallon
Lights:Zoo Med ultra Sun in stock hood
Filter: AquaClear 20
Heater: Ehiem Jagar 75 Watt
Substrate: Generic Aquarium gravel (don't remember brand)
Hardscape: Rose Quarts (?) rocks from nearby stream
Flora: Anarchars, java fern, anubias nana, Argentinian sword (may remove)
Fauna: 1 Powder Blue Dwarf Gourami (Ether)
Ferts: 1 Osmote+ capsule below the swords, the rest is provided by the fish

I cleaned and redid the tank last Friday while everyone in the US was running each other over in stores for Black Friday sales. Didn't take a lot of pics since this took a lot of work but here's what I got:
Must get a better camera to take photos, phone camera washes out everything.

Friday:mostly drained so dirty gravel and smudged glass
Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	241753

All the missing water (used for plants, keep filter running, and cleaning gravel)

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	241761

Just finished scaping! shots before filter/heater/fish added. Pardon the dusty-ness of the water

Name:	010.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	241777Click image for larger version

Name:	009.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	241769
Angled Views:

Name:	011.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	103.4 KB
ID:	241785

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	241793

Monday: Ether in the tank, and added some anacharis

Name:	017.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	118.4 KB
ID:	241801

Close up of old man (nearly 1.5 years old) Ether

Name:	019.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	119.6 KB
ID:	241809

The demon meow harasser... I mean Snowball my ..photography assistant today...

Name:	020.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	241817
Don't be fooled by her cute fatness!

The rocks and gravel look MUCH better in person.

I have a ton more java babies I'm waiting to grow before they get added. Currently they're in a no-tech cube with some aged tank water..mmm nitrates.

I also have a "55" gallon tank where my other fish are now (they use to share the 10 with Ether) and I gave my Evolve to my husband to get him addicted to planted tanks [insert evil laught here]. I will update those tanks' threads sometime this week with new photos ^^

Last edited by AquaAurora; 04-18-2014 at 04:16 PM.. Reason: new residents
AquaAurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2013, 07:19 PM   #2
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Dragged husband's work lamp out to light the tank for better photos, Ether did not like the lamp but it shows his colors much better! He's a light blue with pink/faint red trim at the edge of his fins(pink shows better on close up in first post) The rocks are actually partially pink colored but this light doesn't pick that up well either.

Name:	026.jpg
Views:	1073
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	241897

Name:	029.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	241905Click image for larger version

Name:	030.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	241913Click image for larger version

Name:	027.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	241921
The orange thing in the 3rd photo is the water change bucket (lamps propped up on it on a chair for photos)

As you can see all the rhizome based plants are not buried in the substrate. They're actually attached to cut pieces of air tubing (leftover from gutting a tank siphon) with fishing line.

Last edited by AquaAurora; 12-02-2013 at 07:26 PM.. Reason: added detail
Old 12-02-2013, 07:49 PM   #3
kcoscia
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (21/100%)

i really like the light color look! and its very clean looking
Old 12-03-2013, 01:42 AM   #4
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcoscia View Post
i really like the light color look! and its very clean looking
Thank you ^^
Old 12-03-2013, 02:17 AM   #5
second
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)

I like it.....and plenty of room for more plants hint hint
second is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:38 AM   #6
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by second View Post
I like it.....and plenty of room for more plants hint hint
Yep I want to try a few things but lfs have crap and I don't want to buy alot online in winter (too cold here). So for now waiting on a ton of baby java to grow enough to be removed from half dead looking mother plants (eaten by pleco a few weeks ago) in holding no-tech tank, to add to here.
Old 12-04-2013, 04:46 PM   #7
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Did my first water change with fish in, still getting a bit of the old filth up that settled in the gravel. I'm curious how I'm suppose to get poop and such out of the gravel as the tank gets more densely planted. Until last week I had a pleco in there (I know I know, but I cleaned daily to keep poop and nitrates down) and there was no room for anything but his 'cave' on the substrate, all the plants had to be floaters till he moved to the "55".
Old 12-04-2013, 07:59 PM   #8
DizzyD
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Looking good. I love your Gourami. I want to get a powder blue but I need another tank first...
DizzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:22 PM   #9
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Did my first water change with fish in, still getting a bit of the old filth up that settled in the gravel. I'm curious how I'm suppose to get poop and such out of the gravel as the tank gets more densely planted. Until last week I had a pleco in there (I know I know, but I cleaned daily to keep poop and nitrates down) and there was no room for anything but his 'cave' on the substrate, all the plants had to be floaters till he moved to the "55".

The poop and muck you're cleaning out of the gravel is the organic material that provides nutrients to the plants. Not so different than terrestial gardening in that regard--we add organics and manure to garden soil to enrich the soil.

Granted plecos tend to go a bit overboard on the manuring aspect, so my smaller pleco tank has floating plants, a couple pothos with their roots in the tank to help suck up excess nutrients and an army of MTS. I only gravel vac every two to three months, or in preperation if I'm planning to rescape or move any of the deep rooted plants.
Knotyoureality is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyD View Post
Looking good. I love your Gourami. I want to get a powder blue but I need another tank first...
Thank you.
I love my lil' gourami he's got a great personality. He will come to the front of the glass and say hello when I walk by or sit I front of the tank. If I put a finger against the glass he'll put a "feeler" out to touch with (love that). I've read some can be agressive but he was not a bully though he Eliot not take lip from my rainbow fish (which is now bigger than him). The main thing to watch out for is dwarf gourami tend to be over bred and there is a disease generally found in them called Dwarf Gourami Disese (so original). Fortunately my boy never showed signs and has lived past the life expectancy for those with DGD. I got my gourami from Petsmart, and after he passes ill probably get another from the same store.
Old 12-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #11
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default "baby" photos

Found my old camera works with the cable for my (now dead) tablet so here are some baby photos of my fish, these photos are over a year old now, and the fish have grown a lot (expect Ether the dwarf gourami). Posting them in this journal since this is the tank they use to be in, though two fish have moved out.

Don't be fooled by cute little plecos they go from this cute little 2 inch or less baby:

to this not-even-half-way-done-growing-9!-inch-poop-monster:

Last edited by AquaAurora; 12-17-2013 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: updating pleco size
Old 12-16-2013, 02:36 PM   #12
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Default more plants

got some more plants from drewsuf82 including java fern plantlets, a clump of riccia, pennywort (stuck in riccia), and some free frogbit. Most of it went into this tank, but I threw half the frogbit into my husband's.
Ether's checking out the new additions

Riccia is half brown but I'm going to let it get use to the tank and grow a bit before I cut out the dead part, don't wan t it to disintegrate on me. Pennywort is jsut freee floating and shoved against teh anacharis to keep it from going in the filter until it get bigger, and the java plantlets were tied down onto old airline tubing and sunk on the front/mid right side of the tank.

My old anubias nana leaves (pointed out to the sides of the tank and low to the substrate) are turning into roots! no lie, there are roots coming off the leaves themselves! I will get a photo of it later when I can get it into focus. Wonder if it will turn into two new rhizomes no the old plant.

Last edited by AquaAurora; 01-08-2014 at 05:42 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #13
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Exclamation The war begins! Enemy spotted! BBA & hair algae...ATTACK!!

So I noticed I over the past week a few brown spots on my java fern and small brown dusting on the anubias, I thought nothing of it at first. When I looked closer today as I was saying hello to my little gourami and his bubble nest, I realized I have black beard algae (bba) I also spotted some hair algae on my anacharis.
I only have the one dwarf gourami and don't over feed him so it should not be excess nutrients causing this. I also don't believe it's fluctuating co2, though I do a 3-4 gallon water change once a week. I might cutback on that and just do top-offs for a bit to see. I did a little reading and think its cropped up because of the new lights (went from cheap fluorescent bulbs to zoo med ultra bright cfl 10 watt "U" shaped bulbs). The lights are in a cheap plastic tank hood so no adjustability for height as is. I may get some clear plexiglass/polycarbonate cover for the tank and some chains and hooks to bring the light up a few inches.
I research treatments for bba, and many seem to use Exel in higher dosages than bottle directions for 10-14 days. I've never used the product and don't think it will be an option as my dwarf gourami's health is very important and I don't want to risk killing him. I don't trust any lfs to have true SAE (Siamese algae eaters) so it looks like my only option is bleach dipping the plants again. I did this before so I not too worried for the plants, just worried about getting all the bleach off before it goes back in with the fish.
I will most likely chop off the anacharis with the hair algae and possibly snip off java fern leaves that have the most bba but I'd rather save all the leaves on my slow growers.
I may post photos for before/during/after bleaching but not sure yet. Wish me luck winning the war!
Old 12-18-2013, 01:33 AM   #14
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Yep I want to try a few things but lfs have crap and I don't want to buy alot online in winter (too cold here). So for now waiting on a ton of baby java to grow enough to be removed from half dead looking mother plants (eaten by pleco a few weeks ago) in holding no-tech tank, to add to here.
Unfortunately, your tagline doesn't tell us where you live ("somewhere over there" is pretty hard to divine) so someone local to you can't PM you with plants or other stuff that you might like to have. I know I throw away enough excess plant clippings in 2 weeks to overflow your tank! And that's after I cull the plants I want to give away or trade to the local LFS.
m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #15
AquaAurora
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by m00se View Post
Unfortunately, your tagline doesn't tell us where you live ("somewhere over there" is pretty hard to divine) so someone local to you can't PM you with plants or other stuff that you might like to have. I know I throw away enough excess plant clippings in 2 weeks to overflow your tank! And that's after I cull the plants I want to give away or trade to the local LFS.
fair enough

Tags
planted aquarium, tank journal