Cross breeding paradise fish?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 12-01-2013, 10:16 PM   #1
Soil
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Cross breeding paradise fish?

Hi!

I have been wondering for quite a while about paradise fish. There are, as far as I know, three different kind of fish all named Macropodus opercularis. For being one of the first ever popular fish, there is incredebly little info on the details about these fish..

The ones I know of are Blue, Red and Concolour (black). The red looks like a variant of blue and could have human engineering behind it?

My question is - as they are the same species according to their scientific name, do the different variations cross breed?
Soil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2013, 11:38 PM   #2
Grah the great
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Reds and blues are the same species and will interbreed, but the blacks are actually a seperate species - probably M. spechti but possibly M. hongkongensis or even M. erythropterus. In any case, I don't think that you should try to mix the blacks with the others, as not only would the resulting hybrids likely be ugly but they will likely be sterile or otherwise inferior to the originals. reds, blues, and albinos will all interbreed to produce fertile offspring, but I would advise at least being careful while doing so since the offspring of such unions may also be ugly.

To answer your question, wild M. opercularis are a blue-green color with orange stripes. If under dim lighting and in good condition, the blue coloring is spectacular, so I advise having a lot of floating plants in the tank. I advise picking paradise fish that resemble their wild counterparts, as paradise fish just don't look as good otherwise in my opinion. Then again, this is coming from a person who is generally not fond of domesticated forms in general...
Grah the great is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #3
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

You never know until you try to cross breed. They are all different species but might be close enough to reproduce like how the modern Beta splendens is a mixture of closely related betas.

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/search/Macropodus
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 02:16 AM   #4
Grah the great
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Blacks are a seperate species, yes, but both red and blue paradise fish - and albinos, for that matter - are all Macropodus opercularis. The paradise fish in the hobby do not seem to have resulted from extensive hybridizing like the domesticated Betta Splendens has, with the possible exception of black paradise fish (which have been interbred with M. opercularis and, due to confusion with other members of the genus, possibly more than one 'black' species). Reds, blues, and albinos will hybridize with each other beyond any doubt assuming you can find a female.
Grah the great is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2013, 04:41 PM   #5
Soil
Algae Grower

That pretty much sums up all I wanted to know, thanks! I kept a breeding pair of blues before, no current and very dim light - they were shining blue, very nice! The one I got now isnt ery pretty but I had to save it from the LFS, fins are ruined and they kept it with no plants and strong current..
Soil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.