peroxide didn't bubble, what's that mean?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Algae

Old 11-27-2013, 03:29 PM   #1
jbjack
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

peroxide didn't bubble, what's that mean?

I set up a planted tank awhile ago. Low tech, no c02 I don't have much flow which I'm fixing but in the mean time I got a little bba and a lot of staghorn. I researched peroxide and used it. Spot treated, used about 2 ml per gallon. I expected all kinds of bubbling and nothing. Looks like I didn't add anything lol. Every where I read said there should be a lot of bubbling. What's no bubbles mean. Thanks.
jbjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (38/100%)

Hi jbjack,

It sounds like you did everything right regarding dosage and method.

I find I get the best results (i.e. lots of fizzing bubbles) treating BBA or Cyanobacteria with hydrogen peroxide 3% (H2O2) if I wait to treat my tank a least an hour after the light comes on so the algae is at full photosynthesis (it seems to intensify the oxidation process of the chlorophyll cells) and I turn off all filtration about 10 minutes prior to treating so the H2O2 stays in the area of the spot treatment for as long as possible. After the fizzing stops, usually about 15 minutes, I turn the filters back on.

Last edited by Seattle_Aquarist; 11-27-2013 at 04:07 PM.. Reason: ..
Seattle_Aquarist is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #3
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Is your h2o2 fresh? If it's been around awhile it may not be good anymore. Get a new bottle.
devilduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2013, 04:57 PM   #4
jbjack
Algae Grower

Well I left the peroxide out over night. Just bought it and forgot it in car (unopened) it's cold here, the peroxide was cold but not frozen, could that have ruined it? Also I did turn off filter, but not for 10 minutes. I also turned it back on a couple minutes after I did the treatment. The lights were also only on for maybe half hour 45 minutes. Should I re treat again, and if so what is the process to re treat and how long should I wait
Old 11-27-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (177/100%)

If it was unopenned, i suppose its as good as fresh from the store.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you left the bottle open then I fear it's no good anymore, get a new one. The bubbling takes a minute or two to reach full intensity whenever I dose it. I leave the filters off for a good 20 minutes. The fish really enjoy the oxygen bubbles, but just make sure they are not too close when your squirt the solution.
devilduck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjack View Post
Well I left the peroxide out over night. Just bought it and forgot it in car (unopened) it's cold here, the peroxide was cold but not frozen, could that have ruined it? Also I did turn off filter, but not for 10 minutes. I also turned it back on a couple minutes after I did the treatment. The lights were also only on for maybe half hour 45 minutes. Should I re treat again, and if so what is the process to re treat and how long should I wait
Hi jbjack,

Your H2O2 should be fine; the temperature at dosing should not make any difference. I would try again tomorrow (I only dose once every 24 hours when doing treatments) allowing time for the water to become calm and after the light has been on for a longer period.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #8
cbachmann
Planted Member

PTrader: (6/100%)

H2O2 is a highly unstable compound, and readily disassociates into H2O and oxygen. If it didn't bubble then the reaction has already proceded significantly towards disassociation. Even an unopened bottle can disassociate, though it's unlikely to happen in a short period of time. Also, just a word of warning: don't dose H2O2 into your tank if you have any inverts that you want to be around! It killed all of my nerites, and will probably kill shrimp. Either way, good luck!

3.5 gallon- Dwarf Cories
10 gallon- Cories
5.5- Khuli Loaches and Golden Tetras
cbachmann is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2013, 02:37 AM   #9
Aqualady
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbachmann View Post
H2O2 is a highly unstable compound, and readily disassociates into H2O and oxygen. If it didn't bubble then the reaction has already proceded significantly towards disassociation. Even an unopened bottle can disassociate, though it's unlikely to happen in a short period of time. Also, just a word of warning: don't dose H2O2 into your tank if you have any inverts that you want to be around! It killed all of my nerites, and will probably kill shrimp. Either way, good luck!
I didn't know not to dose peroxide with inverts....I guess my assassin must have been burrowed when it did this 3 days straight...thank goodness
Aqualady is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
jbjack
Algae Grower

So the staghorn and bba has turned pink, so I guess it's dying. I have one large sword leaf with green algae on it, which seems to be unaffected. Is green, flat to the leaf but a little fuzzy looking. I'm not sure what thats called maybe gsa. Any ways I'm going to redose following above instructions Is there any need to do water changes after this, I'm a bit confused because ppl say to, but also say it dissolves into pure water. ALSO none of my Malaysian trumpet snails appear to have been affected.
Old 11-28-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi jbjack,

H2O2 breaks down into H2O and oxygen so I do not do a "special" water change after treatments; just my regular 50% weekly water changes.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #12
jbjack
Algae Grower

Thank you. Is 50 percent weekly necessary seems like a lot I've always (but never had a planted tank did 25 percent) is there a benefit to larger changes in a planted tank?
Old 11-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #13
Seattle_Aquarist
Planted Tank Guru

Hi jbjack,

I dose dry fertilizers using the Estimative Index (EI) method; a 50% weekly water change is part of that method order to avoid an excessive buildup of nutrients.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
Melted
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbachmann View Post
I did not have snails in mine but my cherry shrimp and amano all lived. I even accidentally over dosed.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #15
jbjack
Algae Grower

So I got cocky and dosed about 4ml a gallon per day for 4 days I'm happy to report not a single fish or snail death (I like my purposely added trumpets snails) not one dead plant, except a couple already weak levels on the hydro, and a couple leaves on the sword. But even on those plants it's just a few leaves and the rest of the plant is healthy. I'm very happy. I just did another good water change, have nice flow now, and.am looking forward to an algae free tank (it has been now for about 12 days.) Woohoo!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.