how can i reduce the lighting for this setup
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-06-2004, 06:07 PM   #1
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

I have 110 watts(2x55watts) worth of lighting over my 20 long setup and its just started to grow algae. Parameters are
pH 7.0
DgH 13.1
DkH 7.4
Nitrates 10ppm
Phosphates .5-1.0
I dose traces and iron every other day. I also dose Nitrates and Phosphates as I need every other day as well. My problem is that the lighting is too high for the tank and want to lower the amount of light. If i choose to use 2 36 watts bulbs then the bulbs wont span the length of the tank as well as the 55watt bulbs since the tank is 30" long and the 55watt bulbs are 24" and the 36 watt bulbs are 17.5". Ive been thinking about just placing some strips of black tape across the glass top to reduce the amount of surface area the lights shine on but Im not sure that that will suffice. Can anyone please suggest something to help me out? Thanks in advance.
Ptahkeem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2004, 06:19 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

Have you considered using just one of the two 55w bulbs? With the relatively short height of a 20g long (10inches high), 2.75 wpg will most likely be plenty. You could run the full brightness for short periods occasionally, to bring the red out of certian plants but for the most part, you'll be fine with just one 55w on a 20g long.
Old 02-06-2004, 06:37 PM   #3
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

Hey Gulf
is there a way that I can some how wire the bulbs so that I can hook each one up to a timer or do I have to buy another separate ballast for that? The problem with just useing 1 55watt bulb is that the bulbs are either in the front of the tank or in the back due to the hood design. Something like this

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
x -------------------------------------- x
x x
x x
x -------------------------------------- x
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The bulbs are the dashes and the x's represent the hood and this is a view if you were looking at the hood from underneath. I made a gap in the hood in the middle so that air could be vented out so using 1 55watt bulb would either make place light in the front or rear of the tank. I could try using 2 36watt bulbs but they wont span the length of the tank as nice. Another possibility would be trying to lower the wattage of the current bulbs I have but Im no electrical expert so I dont know what that would entail.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:17 PM   #4
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

You can't have the ballast run on only half of it's outputs. You'll need a separate ballast to run them on a timer. If you went with 36w bulbs, you could stagger them so you'd only have two dark corners (front/left and back/right, for example), but you could turn your 55 watters into 36w bulbs, essentially.
You probably got a Fulham Workhorse 5 ballast from AH Supply. For 55w bulbs, they use two outputs per bulb. You could try "underdriving" them by disconnecting one of those outputs from each bulb. It will be hard to say how much the bulbs will be producing, but probably somewhere around 36 watts, since that's the wiring configuration for 36w bulbs (one wire from a WH5).
Old 02-06-2004, 07:22 PM   #5
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

Hey Gulf
that is an interesting idea. The ballast is a fullham workhorse for the 55watt bulbs. I might give that a try because I want the length of the 55watt bulbs with the output of a 36 watt bulb. I could even try using this technique on those awesome GE bulbs that everyone is talking about. Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 02-06-2004, 07:33 PM   #6
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Let me know how it turns out! The bulbs should last a lot longer being underdriven as well.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:37 PM   #7
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

Hey Gulf
I just talked to Kim from ahsupply. Very courteous and helpful. He also suggested what you stated and said that it would lower the output by around 20 -25 percent. He also said that he probably wouldnt mess with the wiring but thats a risk Im willing to take. Ill let you know how it turns out once I get this all done. Thanks again!
Old 02-06-2004, 08:02 PM   #8
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

It WORKED!!!!!!
I dont suggest anyone to do this of course and I nor Kim are responsible for anyone attempting this but it worked! This is great I can keep my 55watt bulb lengths with a lower output. SWEET!
Old 02-06-2004, 08:53 PM   #9
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

Here are some pics to show you the difference in lighting. Both pictures were taken with a Canon G3 f/2.2 shutter speed 1/13.
This is Before:

and after:

I know that the tank doesnt look that good yet so no comments from the peanut gallery hehe. I will be adding some more plants shortly and I will be covering up the heater. If you still feel like you need to critique my scape then please feel free just dont bash on me too hard
Old 02-06-2004, 09:00 PM   #10
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (176/100%)

Good solution! So you still have the option of increasing the wattage, once the tank is full of plants.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2004, 09:37 PM   #11
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

Or even possibly increasing just the front, if your foreground proves to need more light. But even now, you're probably around 4 watts / gallon so I doubt you'll need any more light than you've got with this new setup.
I know you're not looking for comments on aesthetics just yet but I must say... the tank is looking nice!
Old 02-06-2004, 09:48 PM   #12
Gomer
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)

and what nice looking healthy plants you have too
Old 02-06-2004, 10:20 PM   #13
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

Haha thanks for the kind comments guys!

Hey Gomer I wonder why the plants look so good lol. :lol:
Old 02-06-2004, 10:46 PM   #14
PlantView
Algae Grower

Oops, this is a "late" post since a good solution is already worked-out. And I might add, the result looks great!

Anyhow, I thought I'd just note that in order to cut light output it can be worthwhile introducing a flat piece (sheet) of household aluminum window screen between the light source and tank.

We often use this method of attenuation in the printing industry since it doesn't affect the light's color temperature, and the aluminum holds-up well to the high thermal temperatures encountered in our light fixtures.

PlantView
PlantView is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2004, 10:49 PM   #15
Ptahkeem
Planted Member

Yet another excellent idea! Keep the suggestions coming this may work out to help other people with similar problems.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.