how many angel in my 56 tall?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New York

Old 11-26-2013, 04:52 PM   #1
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

how many angel in my 56 tall?

Hi everyone
I have a 56 gallon column tank. It's been set up for little over a year now. A cpl of weeks ago I had a c02 dump and lost everything except 2 angel and a gbr. The angel are now in a 26 gallon until everything settle down. The gbr refuses to leave so he's still in there. For filtration I have a fluval 405 a fluval 206 and a small hob aqua clear. I also have live plants. Since im pretty much starting over im was thinking 5 angel and 6 cory in the tank? All my readings are good except my ammonia its still at .25 so nothing will happen until the ammonia is 0. So my question is can I keep 5 angel in my tank long term? Im not looking to remove them this would be a permanent home for them.
Thanks for the help.
Patrick
partobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2013, 04:58 PM   #2
xmas_one
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)

That tank is way to small for angels long term. I have a 90 with 8 in it and it's already too small after about a year.
xmas_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 05:06 PM   #3
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Xmas one I guess ill have to figure something else out. The 2 angel should be fine right?
Old 11-26-2013, 05:22 PM   #4
jmf3460
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmas_one View Post
That tank is way to small for angels long term. I have a 90 with 8 in it and it's already too small after about a year.
I will have to disagree with this and say that 5 angels in a 56 gallon will be fine if it were me I would go with 2 angels and 2 pairs of GBR's but I think with all that filtration you have and the plants you will be fine. The plants will divide up space and give them their own territories. As long as you don't over do it with too many schools of tetras I think you will be fine.
Old 11-26-2013, 05:34 PM   #5
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks jacklyn
My plan was just 5 angel of different types and 6 cory or some other small bttm feeders
Old 11-26-2013, 05:42 PM   #6
jmf3460
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

if you are worried about size, then get the non veil tail angels. even though these get big also, I still think you will be fine. As long as we're not talking the wild altumn angels that get ginormous...might get dicey if two pair off for the 5th wheel though
Old 11-26-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The two I have now are definitely not a pare. They pretty much avoid each other. I had a pair once before and the behavior was totally different. Well 5 is my dream but if 2 pair off then I guess the 5th would need to be removed. That would give me the chance to do a raok. Thanks for the heads up on the altumn thats what I was thinking
Old 11-26-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Bushkill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

If you have a breeder nearby or would consider ordering from Aquabid vendors, you could put together a "sorority tank". All females; that would work just fine in the long term.

I've raised angels to full size in really cramped quarters. It's just a function of filtration and water changes. Standard-fin/veils is largely a personal taste issue, though veils will look like a mess after any aggression issues and superveils simply require immaculate water and the most docile of tankmates.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #9
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Bushkill.
I d have the room for a extra tank but a great idea. Im pretty sweet I have 2 females together now. I figured if they were males they would fight. Ill go check out AquaBid now thanks
Old 11-26-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
Bushkill
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by partobe View Post
Thanks Bushkill.
I d have the room for a extra tank but a great idea. Im pretty sweet I have 2 females together now. I figured if they were males they would fight. Ill go check out AquaBid now thanks
You're very welcome.

I raised 5 pinoy superveils in a 25G cube to an enormous body size for superveils. They ended up being all females and their fins are just a sight to behold. No aggression = perfect fin shape and presentation. It was just pure dumb luck that it worked out that way. I got them at barely the size of a dime.
I also raised a mixed batch of small angels in a 40B to half dollar body size, but aggression took hold at a point and I was pulling fish out of there every week as pairs formed. I would pull out one pair and another formed, and the mayhem started all over again.
Bushkill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #11
partobe
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks Bushkill
If I wind up with 2 pair ill pull the 5th one and do a raok