Want to start up a Nano planted tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 02-06-2004, 04:57 PM   #1
Badmana
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

All I've got is a 5 gal hex with a 14 watt aqua glow light (t-8 I believe), 1 Betta, power bio wheel filter and air.

So, as a non-experienced plant person. What's the best way to go about planting some low-moderate light requiring plants?

I've got some red sea substrate (left over from using it on a hex 20 gal with some ferns) and I'm thinking of using a deep dish of some sort to keep the substrate seperate from the cheap coloured rocks I'm using for my betta.

Would this be enough? Should I use CO2? Would CO2 be a waste because of the surface agitation from the power filter?

My 20 gal fern is just barely hanging on with the light it's got in it (a 20 watt 8" power glo) and I'm going to add a MH light to it (both tanks are side by side so the extra light will affect both tanks). I figure on hanging the light and shining it into the tank like a lamp.

Thanks for any help! Trying to get into growing plants and this forum is just perfect!
Badmana is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-08-2004, 01:45 AM   #2
Toyman321
Algae Grower

I've got a 5g with a 10w light and my plants are doing OK but Im thinking about upgrading my lights. 12w should work with some low light plants but Im thinking about going to 20w.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:31 PM   #3
Ray1214
Algae Grower

As far as your 5 gal. I have a 3 gal eclipse, with the stock 8 watt light 67K. I have cacomba, water wisteria and a dwarf sword as well as java fern. All seem to grow well, but the wisteria and the cacomba has to be pruned back from time to time to make sure the sword gets enough light. My wife has a 5 gal hex, with a 28 watt PC bulb in it. I personally think the light doesn't make it to the bottom but it her java fern is doing well and her anubias is planted at near the top of the tank on a piece of driftwood.

Ray

I worked my self up from nothing to a state of extreme poverity
Ray1214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 11:31 PM   #4
Newkidonthetank
Planted Member

Send a message via MSN to Newkidonthetank

i have a empty 10 gal and want to plant it correctly... i think the lighting is good...2(10watt..) compact flourescent... hang on back filter REGENT 5-15
Newkidonthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2004, 01:45 AM   #5
trenac
Wannabe Guru

I would not use C02 in a 5G tank. Instead use Seachem flourish excel for a carbon source, I use this in my 12G tank.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:24 PM   #6
NFish
Planted Member

Location: Colorado, USA, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

or use a hagen plant gro natural co2 system
John 3:16 Romans 10:9
NFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 04:15 PM   #7
Ray1214
Algae Grower

Yes, I use Seachem Flourish and Flourish Trace, once a week. Also every 5th Water Change (I change a gallon) has a tsp of salt in it.

Other than that, I have no algae problems with the exception of a light haze every once in a while. That be it. and I change the filter pad once every 3 months (Once a week it gets rinsed and cleaned.)

RAy

I worked my self up from nothing to a state of extreme poverity
Ray1214 is offline   Reply With Quote