Rodney's 10 gallon (NOT amazon) - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 07-02-2007, 10:54 PM   #16
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)

Google 'nano fish', you should be able to find some really nice fish to stock all levels of a 10g. I liked the galaxy rasbora (celestial danio), but unfortunately their habitat's been destroyed and no one is selling them now unless you're breeding them. There are some nice dwarf catfish and rasbora type schoolers that don't get over an inch or so long. Then there are always cherry shrimp

Last edited by jaidexl; 07-04-2007 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: typos
jaidexl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2007, 07:41 PM   #17
rodney
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Yes It finally came in:

And The ferts:

And more pics:

Comments welcome!
Old 07-04-2007, 07:56 PM   #18
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
Google 'nano fish'
Sorry, my suggestion there was pretty vague, there used to be more hits for FW fish, this seems to be the only one left. You might like the red melon dario as an alternative to apistos, or the similar Dario Dario with more of a color pattern. It's an asian fish, but I personally wouldn't be opposed to them being used to emulate a small SA apisto tank, they also like to hang out down low in a tank full of plants. Sometimes they are even mislabeled as dwarf apisto sp. They stay under an inch for the most part.

Nice light Everything should start jumping into action now.
Old 07-04-2007, 08:46 PM   #19
rodney
Planted Member

Jaidexl: Thanks for the comment I have been finding alot of small schooling fish That I really like and am I almost tempted to just toss the whole amazon thing. But I like buying my fish locally so If my lfs gets some of the ones i like I may just buy em'.

I really like the light. It took time to get used to its color though, because its alot more blue than my other light. I really enjoy being able to watch the fish at night too with the dawn and dusk light. I think I am going to start a light schedule where it goes from: dawn to 19 watts to 40 watts to dusk, But I am not sure I want to spend the money on timers.

Rodney
Old 07-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #20
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

My 2 cents, get a dual timer coralife power center now, you'll praise it if you ever move up to pressurized co2. I need one so I can do a dawn dusk effect as well as operate my regulator solenoid and a night time air pump. I just don't have enough room for individual timers to accomplish all of that unless I bite the bullet and buy a bunch of GFIs with boxes and DIY it. But then I'd still need 4 timers, wouldn't necessarily look any better than a power center and would certainly cost as much if not a lot more.
Old 07-05-2007, 06:46 PM   #21
rodney
Planted Member

I will look into getting one of those soon. How long do you keep the dawn/dusk effect on? I was thinking to just keep it on for an hour in the morning and an hour at night, But i have seen people use them as moon-lights and keep them on all night.

rodney
Old 07-05-2007, 07:14 PM   #22
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

For now, I have to switch one light off by hand, both at the beginning and end of the light cycle. Once the light/CO2 timer has been on for about 30 minutes, I switch the other lamp on, then switch it off roughly 30 minutes before lights off. Sometimes I forget and it's more like an hour. I'm mainly doing it to save a little power while the plants wake up and the CO2 builds up and starts dispersing in the tank, and I'm sure the fish like it better than all 192 watts coming on at once.

As for moonlights, I guess that's personal pref and probably a reefer thing more than anything. When I had them on my other lamp, I just turned them on once in a while, long enough to enjoy them until bed time.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #23
rodney
Planted Member

Update!

O.k so first of all i have been having lots of algea! Its like little brown blotches in the shape of a snowflake/swirl. I have been dosing excel with no luck. May someone please tell my how to get rid of this stuff?

Oh and I was at petco taday and I found some lemon tetras! so I bought 6...or so I thought. Once I took em out of the bag I was surprised to find only 5 Oh well though i'll just pick up another next time im out.
Here are some pics of em. The qulity isn't great and they are still a bit stressed.

Oh yeah! I say this plant and remembered it being amazon ground cover, so Is anyone sure about it?

And lastly, a full tank shot

comments welcome! and help needed!

EDIT: pay no attetion to the convict! I was treating it a few weeks before and havn't moved it yet.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:38 PM   #24
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

The algae looks like diatom, it'll go away on it's own, just scrub it off the glass until then. The plant looks like Lilaeopsis brasiliensis from Brazil. Open that up and seperate the runners so you have a bunch of small clumps, then plant them checkerboard style in you're foreground or open ground, it'll spread runners and eventually fill in the foreground and spread back.
Old 07-08-2007, 03:58 AM   #25
rodney
Planted Member

Crap! Brazil huh? I guess thats what I get for not doing my research. I cleaned off the algea and planted all the runners, but am not sure if i did it right. The lemons have really gotten colorful now that they have been in my tank for awhile. Now all I have to do is get them to eat. they don't seam to like the food I have been feeding them. they keep eating and spitting the food out. Im feeding omega one cichlid flakes that i was feeding my convict cichlids. But maybe I should buy the proper tetra food.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:20 AM   #26
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

Brazil = Amazon. That's what you wanted, right?

Those fish will really come alive and color up with some live or frozen food once in a while, like bloodworms, brine shrimp, daphnia etc. But, I'd go easy on the meaty stuff in a 10 gallon with 6+ fish in it, or keep up on the water changes.
Old 07-08-2007, 04:54 AM   #27
rodney
Planted Member

Geography was never my strong point

I try to feed my fish live food every couple of weeks and freeze-dried foods every other day. As for my stocking options, could I keep:

6-lemon tetras
1-oto affinis(spelling?)
3-cories

Or are there some other fish I should look into?

Thanks sooo much again!

Rodney
Old 07-08-2007, 08:42 AM   #28
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

Well, there is room to wiggle if you are doing weekly WCs, have healthy plants, and watch your feedings. Generally people follow the 1 inch/gl guideline, the idea is that a certain area of substrate, tank walls and filter media can only harbor so much bacteria to process ammonia and nitrite, in a ten gallon there's much less area for bacteria, so overstocking can push the bioload too far and cause a tank crash. Those tetras and most hyphessobrycon species like them are usually 2 - 2.5" full grown and have a meaty diet, you'd add less to the bioload with smaller schoolers that tend to stay 1" or less, like dwarf rasboras. Otos are going to have a mosly plant/algae diet which doesn't dent the bioload as much as a meaty diet, plus they stay small, so you could almost squeeze them in without counting much. Cories can vary anywhere around 2 - 3" depending on species. Your list is roughly 19" total, so technically that is about double stocked, also take into account that tanks usually don't hold the volume that we name them by, so you might be dealing with 8 or 9 gallons after figuring the actual volume then subtracting substrate and the inch or so from the tank rim to the water's surface. If you substitute the cories for a few otos, let them be the main grazers/scavengers, you would be a lot safer. Swap the tetras out for schoolers that are half the size and there is more room for error, and errors happen much easier as the size of the tank gets smaller.

That said, the impact of fish like tetras and cories is not even comparable to that of a pleco or oscar, ten inches of tetras are never going to equal the waste produced by one 10" pleco or oscar, so the 1"/gl guideline is sometimes irrelevant and is truly nothing more than a guideline, not a rule. Still, you have much less room for error in a 10gl than a 20 or 30gl.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:21 PM   #29
rodney
Planted Member

I see where you are coming from with the 1" per gallon rule. I sure don't want to be over stocked, while I don't want to be understocked either. I would like to have some sort of a cleaning crew, so I think I should be able to fit in 3 pygmy cory cats.

1"/gallon:
Lemon tetras-6 @ 1.5" ea = 9"
Oto= 1.5, but like you said, not much of an impact on the bioload
3 pygme cory cats @ 1.2 inches(3cm) ea = 3.6"

=12.6" of bioload or 13" compensation of the oto
Does this make since? Or am I doing it all wrong?
Old 07-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #30
jaidexl
Planted Tank Guru

Just remember that fish grow fast, so you should always count their full grown size, I think lemons are actually 2". I don't doubt you can pull it off with that list if you change a few gallons or so every week. But make sure the change water pH/KH/GH and temp matches, IME hyphessobrycon sp are sensitive to rapid parameter fluctuations, I lost quite a few rosy tetras that way, it was always the runt that gets pushed in the corner and was already stressed from the others. Once they start their mating ritual, you'll see what I mean, they can be very pushy toward one another. I had 8 of them in a 30 gl and still felt it wasn't enough space (granted I had other fish in that tank), that's another reason I recommended swapping the tetras out.