The Pressurized CO2 System is Weird!!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 12-31-2002, 01:48 PM   #1
hypercad
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi,
Juz upgraded myself from the DIY sugar/yeast to a pressurized CO2 system.

Since I bought the system two days ago, there are some issues:

I only have a bubble counter, a control valve and normal airline tubing.

When I switched on the system, there are many bubbles coming out, I will adjust it until about 1 bubble per second.

Later as this setting is let by itself, after about 1 hour, there is no more bubbling. Obviously, there is no more CO2 diffusing into the tank. Then I had to turn on the valve AGAIN and then I had to repeat, from many bubbles, till I get about 1 bubble again. ANd after 1 more hr, again the same problem. No more bubbling and so no more CO2 diffusion

I want to ask: Why does the bubbling stop even when the valve is turned on? I feel disappointed because using my old DIY system, the bubbling never stopped.

I am having frustrations with this pressurised system. Can any experts out there who has experience help???

HYPERCAD
hypercad is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2002, 01:55 PM   #2
Buck
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (3/100%)

First off Im not sure what gauges you are using , needle valve etc. but it sounds to me like you do not have sufficient pressure behing the needle valve... dont be scared , the needle valve will only let so much CO2 past but the pressure behind it makes it more reliable...
Be sure to open main tank valve all the way then try setting the pressure to 30lbs on second gauge.
I have a cheapo needle valve that only works good with at least 30 lbs of pressure behind it. I had same results as you with lower pressure... inconsistent bubbles...

keep us posted ... we will figure it out

When you get that set you will love it !
Old 12-31-2002, 02:04 PM   #3
hypercad
Algae Grower

I am attaching a picture of the CO2 system. It's very simple - 1 control valve, 1 bubble counter and some airline tubing.

I am not so sure what is a regulator 'cause as u can see, I donch think I have one.

I donch really understand some of the technicalities here as I am extremely new to this CO2 system (have been using DIY all these years).

Thanx for sharing with me again what my problem could be....

Cheers,
HYPERCAD
Old 12-31-2002, 02:04 PM   #4
hypercad
Algae Grower

Old 12-31-2002, 02:17 PM   #5
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You need a regulator. The needel valve is supposed to in a way "fine-tune" the pressure coming out of the regulator, not regulate the pressure itselft. If you get a regulator, you should be fine.

-Tim
Old 12-31-2002, 03:01 PM   #6
hypercad
Algae Grower

what does the regulator do? is it expensive?
Old 12-31-2002, 03:33 PM   #7
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The purpouse of the regulator is to regulate the pressure, the needel valve fine tunes the pressure. Go here to find out information on a pressurized setup.

These are the minimum requirments for a pressurized system, you can have a different reactor, of course.

The regulator will also let you know when the CO2 is running out. Read about it and you will understand. As I have found out, you have to be patient with these kind of things. The price of the regulator can vary widly, from $40-$80, but you might be able to find one at a local welding shop, and make sure to bring your needle-valve with to make sure it fits on to the regulator.

-Tim
Old 12-31-2002, 06:35 PM   #8
m.lemay
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

It looks to me as if there is no regulator on your system, just a needle valve directly off of the tank. I've heard of a system like this but I never saw one.

There must be some sort of adjustment on the needle valve itself. If there is turn it down all the way, then open the CO2 tank valve all the way. You should get no flow or very little flow. Then adjust the needle valve to get your flow afjusted to where you want it.

If that doesn't work, see if you can return it and get a system that has a regulator and needle valve.
FILSTAR Pimp #2

75 gal heavily planted,50/50 Black beauty,Eco-complete substrate, Pressurised CO2 with solenoid, ph controller, AB Reactor 1000, 330 watts 9325K GE PC lighting,Ehiem Liquidoser, 2-Filstar xp3 canisters.
m.lemay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2003, 07:53 AM   #9
lanstar
Planted Member

Here's a picture of a CO2 tank with the kind of regulator we're used to seeing:

http://www.ultralife.com/picts/sys.JPG

I'm not suggesting you do or do not get anything from Ultralife, they just had a good picture to show.

The setup in the picture shows a solenoid and needle valve attached to the regulator. You can attach the needle valve directly to the regulator if you don't have need for the solenoid (i.e. no pH controller).

There are some threads under "Equipment" where the "other" Tim (SNPiccolo5) and others talked about several good sources for CO2 systems and parts. There's also a thread under equipment titled "2 1/2lb or 5lb CO2 tank???" where I admit how much CO2 I wasted until I found and fixed all the sources of leaks in my system.

Good luck!

Tim (I guess I'm the newbie, so maybe *I* should be the "other" Tim! )
Old 01-01-2003, 01:08 PM   #10
hypercad
Algae Grower

thanx pple,
tomorrow I will go to the LFS where I bought this system to check out what can be done.

Anyway, HAPPY NEW RETURNS FOR 2003!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2003, 02:53 PM   #11
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Lol! That reminds me of last year I was in a class (English, it was) when there were two other Tims. One of their last names started with "M", so that was fine, but the other Tim and I both had last names that started with "H E", so the teacher just ended up calling us both by our last names. Tim should work fine for the forum, don't worry!:hehe:

-Tim
Old 01-02-2003, 02:38 AM   #12
Rex Grigg
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to Rex Grigg Send a message via AIM to Rex Grigg

It would be nice to know where hypercad lives.

That system pic he posted scared me to death. It's just begging to kill his fish with a dump.

I think the problem you have is a leak. From what you described it sure sounds like a leak to me.
Rex Grigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2003, 09:50 PM   #13
aquaphish
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (53/98%)

DO NOT RUN YOUR SYSTEM WITH OUT A REGULATOR!!!! THE NEEDLE VALVES ARE NOT MADE TO TAKE THE FULL PRESSURE DIRECTLY FRO THE TANK!!! YOU CAN CAUSE HARM TO YOURSELF OR OTHERS IF THE NEEDLE VALVE FAILS!!! MOST NEEDLE VALVES ARE RATED FOR AROUND 200-300LBS. THE TANK HAS DOUBLE THAT PRESSURE AT LEAST!!!!:fire::aah::aah:
aquaphish is offline   Reply With Quote