All in One or Piecing it Out?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Planted Nano Tanks

Old 11-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

All in One or Piecing it Out?

Soo.... Time for me to start planning for my 2nd annual super awesome spectacular New Years Tank!

It's going to be a planted tank... Hopefully medium to high light. I've had planted tanks before. One became low light when duckweed smothered the plants, the other DW and moss. So I am really hoping to have a nice little planted tank!

What I can't decide is do I want an all in one, or to piece it out? Yesterday while at Petco I saw the new Fluval spec. It's very nice and shiny But it is sooo small. I mean, what else could I keep in there besides shrimp or a betta? Not that I have anything against shrimp and Bettas.... I already have 4 Bettas.

So then I am thinking about piecing it out. I can get a 7g rimless for $45, and the Finnex Fuge Ray R (this guy: [Ebay Link Removed] Fugeray R Ultra Slim LED Red Clip on Aquarium Ray 2 II ADA Fish Light | eBay[/URL] ) For $36. But then filtration comes in, and I won't have hidden filtration unless I go the canister route (which I don't want to).

Soo.. For a planted tank, in the 5-7 gallon range? What would you do?

Old 11-27-2013, 06:17 AM   #2
Scottyhorse
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

After getting some helpful advice on another forum, I have deciced to go with the CAD Lights Zen Series 7g rimless, with the Finnex Fuge Ray R LED light. Substrate will be dirt capped with fine grain eco complete. Plant list is Micro Sword, a species of crypt or anubias (not sure which) and Hygrophilia Pinnatifida (sp). I will be using liquid ferts and glut. I'm also wanting to try out a planted HOB, so I will be using an AC 20.

Still not decided on what fish I want, it's between Green Neon Tetras, WCMM, Chili Rasboras, and Normans Lampeye Killi's. I also want a small centerpiece fish (like a honey gourami) or maybe a pair of Badis Badis? And a couple otos? Too much? Never stocked a tank this small!