Adding Tahatian Moon sand to already-planted aquarium?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 02-20-2004, 06:44 AM   #1
Geo
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to Geo Send a message via MSN to Geo

I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with adding sand to an already semi-established aquarium. I'm looking to add a half bag to a bag of the sand over a period of time as it'll no doubt settle into the eco-complete. I'm wanting to do this to help with finer plant roots (as a lot of the EC has sifted already and I have nothing but big peices of gravel on the top) and I think my pygmy cories would enjoy it a little more as well.

It'll also just look better, IMO. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this (I think I remember Buck doing this...) and if you guys have any hints for washing and actually putting it into the aquarium.

Thanks a lot!
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2004, 12:53 PM   #2
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I've done it a few times. Nothing unusual. Like you said - rinse it out in a bucket and add it to the tank already wet (to prevent air bubbles). I took it out of the bucket cupful by cupful, immersed in water, and then put the cup at the bottom of the tank and released the sand there so it wouldn't have to travel the entire length of the water column and cloud the water.
Old 02-22-2004, 02:46 AM   #3
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I also did this for the exact reasons you did, to help with finer-rooted plants! I am really happy I did too, b/c the tank look a lot better too. GulfCoast covered pretty much everything, just make sure to rinse!

-Tim
Old 02-22-2004, 03:56 AM   #4
Daemonfly
Planted Tank Obsessed

Turning off your filter when you go to pour the sand in can also help it settle more quickly.
Daemonfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 04:20 AM   #5
Geo
Algae Grower

Send a message via AIM to Geo Send a message via MSN to Geo

Sounds great! Everything will be arriving this week

On a side note, anyone use flourite and moon sand? I'm thinking about a flourite base with moon sand on top for my 2.5 gallon that I am setting up.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:36 PM   #6
SNPiccolo5
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That is what I have, flourite with moon sand on top. Some of the flourite has moved up (or the moon sand has moved down) and rests on the top, but it looks fine.

-Tim