Will this work :?:
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 02-06-2004, 01:14 AM   #1
fishguy789
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Want to run a double membrane diffuser in the sump of a wet/dry,flowing approx.600gph.
fishguy789 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-06-2004, 01:47 PM   #2
George Willms
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)

probably not. They don't really work all that well.
Ehfipimp extraordinaire!
Eheim Pimp Club Recruiter, Saergant at Arms, and Enforcer.

29 and 45 gallon. 2026, 2028
My 29 gallon tank
George Willms is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2004, 02:42 AM   #3
fishguy789
Algae Grower

Can any type of diffuser be used in the sump.
Old 02-07-2004, 04:42 AM   #4
hypsophrys
Planted Member

Probably any CO2 that you successfully diffuse in the sump will be lost, because there's a lot of surface agitation in a typical sump. Your best bet might be bubbling CO2 into the input of the return pump. As long as there isn't a lot of surface agitation in the tank, from the return, you may have some success. The outflow should be beneath the water line...

If you post some more info on your setup I might be able to offer other suggestions.

Good luck.
hypsophrys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2004, 02:26 PM   #5
fishguy789
Algae Grower

Thank you, the set up that i have is, 65gal.all-glass twin-flow pre drilled,36"x18"x24"high. Wet/Dry filter rated for up to a 125gal.Little Giant pump3-mdq-sc 650gph at 3', pressurizes co2 system, minus the diffuser.
I,am trying to keep all i can out of the tank.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:52 PM   #6
hypsophrys
Planted Member

Well, do you have a heavy bioload? I ask because a wet/dry really isn't the ideal situation for a planted tank.

Wet/drys are great at rapidly converting large amounts of biological waste (mainly Ammonia) to less-toxic Nitrates, and at gas exchange/oxygenation. Both of these functions are important for tanks with a lot of Cichlids, or other messy fish.

In a planted tank, however, your plants should be capable of using nitrogen compounds, including NH4+ and NO3, directly, so can do most of your biological filtration better than a wet/dry. Some bacteriological processes are still necessary, but you don't need the huge, highly oxygenated surface area that a wet/dry provides. Plants also oxygenate the water.

See what I'm getting at?

You might consider modifying your sump. It can be used to hide your heater, diffuse CO2 (via the pump inlet, as mentioned before), and also to do mechanical filtration. For mechanical filtration - I'd suggest a prefilter stage - i.e. ceramic rings - for large particles, some foam for medium particles, and some poly fiber for small particles. You'd want to have all of this occuring fully submerged, and avoid trickling/splashing.

Does this make sense? I hope it helps.

Ian

Edit: I realized I wasn't clear on this - the biggest drawback of a wet/dry in a planted tank is that the massive gas exchange will make it impossible to maintain CO2 concentrations much higher than ambient. Even without the wet/dry, you'll be wasting a lot of CO2 to the flow of the water through the compartments of your sump. You'll have to make a conscious effort to minimize gas exchange in every component of the system. The one component you can't do much about is the overflows -- CO2 will be outgassed in the standpipes, plumbing (tubes/hoses/pipes), and in the first compartment of the sump. Luckily, you'll be re-carbonating the water before it is returned to the tank, which is about as good as it gets. Good luck!
Old 02-08-2004, 04:34 AM   #7
fishguy789
Algae Grower

Thank you, great info. I now understand what i need to do, modifying the wet/dry for all to be submerged. (no trickle or splash).
Thank you again.
Old 02-09-2004, 04:21 AM   #8
hypsophrys
Planted Member

Glad to help.

Ian

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.