Canister filter for vivarium?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Riparium/Terrarium/Vivarium

Old 11-23-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
JoshBA
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Canister filter for vivarium?

What kind of canister filter would you recommend for a vivarium water feature? This tank is 21in tall, so the tubing would have to be pretty long, and I'm not sure if you can extend them without reducing the flow (although I'm assuming that if both are equal lengths the flow would be balanced). Because the water feature is to be small, the filter doesn't have to be very large or high powered. However, it should be able to handle a considerable amount of dirt particles (which would inevitably be dragged into the pool by my tiger salamanders.
JoshBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2013, 01:05 AM   #2
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

my eheim 2213 works great for several of my vivs. Tigers can be quite dirty, i sugesst thaat you put a custom sponge filter over the intake to prevent a ton of dirt from going into the filter. TO extend the intake and outflow, I jsut bought an extra set of tubes and coupled them with the proper airline tubing. Krylon everything black and your good to go. Priming is sometimes harder but not a really big deal at all. My newt vivarium has 5 gallons of water with the extended pipes and it has pristine water quality. RSN dont create nearly as much devastation to the viv and dirt as the tigers will so you'll be doing more water changes. Use a rock to deflect the flow and make the water not so turbulent. they dont liek a lot of moving water.

hope that helps

JD
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
Learner
Planted Tank Obsessed

pipes extended and hidden in each corner. just enough water movement to ensure good filtration and adequate movement of nutrients for plants
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0469.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	238353  

Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 05:54 PM   #4
JoshBA
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply! That filter definitely seems very good for this purpose. I'll probably end up making a moss drip wall or something to keep the flow as low as possible.
My c.e.popei tank doesn't even have mechanical filtration ( just a TON of java moss). I was going to do that for the tiger sals, but being so messy, they would need something to keep the water from becoming a stagnant, smelly mess. I've always kept them with ~10in of soil to burrow in with no water dish, but I thought it would be interesting to give them a water feature. The water feature will still have to be somewhat small because they don't like their soil being too moist. I'll probably have to line the shoreline of the pool with some carpeting plants to keep massive amounts of soil from being pushed into the water by the burrowing tiger sals.
That's an awesome tank. Is that background made of expanding foam covered in cement?
JoshBA is offline   Reply With Quote