What causes pearling? Good/bad?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 06-22-2007, 08:13 PM   #1
crazie.eddie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to crazie.eddie Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie Send a message via MSN to crazie.eddie Send a message via Yahoo to crazie.eddie

What causes pearling? Good/bad?

This is for a friend of mine. He started a planted tank with a DIY CO2. From what I thought with using CO2, when your plants pearl, it's a good sign, correct? He said he reduced the CO2 when he saw the bubbles on the plants, which he didn't like. I'm assuming the bubbles is a sign of pearling. I always thought that it was good that when pearling occurs in your tanks when using CO2.

I'm trying to get to use this forum, because I noticed he's done allot of things wrong...
- Using Biowheel with DIY CO2
- Ferts while still using carbon media
- CO2 on 24/7, which I mentioned to him that plants do not use CO2 at night
- Using Ferts & CO2 with low lights.
125 gal (473 liter): Low Tech (1.5wpg PC for 10 hours, no CO2/ferts, gravel substrate), Equipment (72" Coralife PC, Eheim Pro II 2128 w/built in heater, FilStar XP3 w/Hydor ETH201 inline heater), Fish (6*Discus, 2*Angel, 5*Clown loaches, 4*L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, 1*L-260 Queen Arabesque pleco, 7*Cories, Farlowella cat)
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-22-2007, 09:43 PM   #2
fish_lover0591
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591

Pearling means that the water is saturated with oxygen and its fine. He should keep the c02 going as normal as long as it doesn't affect his fish. A biowheel filter with diy co2 agitates the water surface and allows co2 to escape but if he is seeing pearling everything might be fine. Carbon does remove nutrients from the water and if he wants he should remove it. Using diy Co2 24/7 is ok as long as his fish aren't gasping for air at night I remove the tube from my tank at night. If he doesn't have major algae issues with the extra ferts it shouldn't be a problem but usually it takes longer for plants to use the ferts available to them with low light.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

photosynthesis causes pearling. The by-product are oxygen bubbles...
Not sure why he doesn't like it because it's generally a good thing.

He can reduce pearling by reducing the wattage on this lights... Better to do that than starve the plants by reducing the CO2 I'm thinking.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2007, 11:34 PM   #4
James From Cali
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
photosynthesis causes pearling. The by-product are oxygen bubbles...
Not sure why he doesn't like it because it's generally a good thing.

He can reduce pearling by reducing the wattage on this lights... Better to do that than starve the plants by reducing the CO2 I'm thinking.
I was excited when I first seen some of my plants start pearling. I agree with reducing the wattage instead of starving the plants like said.
James From Cali is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2007, 05:43 AM   #5
crazie.eddie
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via ICQ to crazie.eddie Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie Send a message via MSN to crazie.eddie Send a message via Yahoo to crazie.eddie

Thanks.

I would have to assume that his plants aren't doing well, due to the above mentioned info. His tanks has had, appears to be, hair algae. He was also amazed of how well my plants are doing in my tanks, since they're both low tech tanks with no ferts.
125 gal (473 liter): Low Tech (1.5wpg PC for 10 hours, no CO2/ferts, gravel substrate), Equipment (72" Coralife PC, Eheim Pro II 2128 w/built in heater, FilStar XP3 w/Hydor ETH201 inline heater), Fish (6*Discus, 2*Angel, 5*Clown loaches, 4*L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, 1*L-260 Queen Arabesque pleco, 7*Cories, Farlowella cat)
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2007, 05:47 AM   #6
mistergreen
No more Bow ties

PTrader: (13/100%)

oh, algae pearl too. A lot actually.
mistergreen is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2007, 07:53 AM   #7
MemphisBob
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Quote:
Pearling means that the water is saturated with oxygen and its fine.
Pearling shows that the plants are producing O2 faster than it can dissipate in the water column. That does not mean the water is at O2 saturation.

If the tank in question is not healthy, it's more likely the plants are leaking O2 from damaged tissue than that they are actually pearling.

Pearling shows as big bubbles growing on leaves, leakage shows streams of fine bubbles.
MemphisBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2007, 08:56 AM   #8
fish_lover0591
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Send a message via AIM to fish_lover0591

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisBob View Post
Pearling shows that the plants are producing O2 faster than it can dissipate in the water column. That does not mean the water is at O2 saturation.

If the tank in question is not healthy, it's more likely the plants are leaking O2 from damaged tissue than that they are actually pearling.

Pearling shows as big bubbles growing on leaves, leakage shows streams of fine bubbles.
Pearling is when the water becomes saturated with oxygen during photosynthesis. No more can be dissolved, so oxygen forms bubbles on the plant surface. So I should be correct. here is a picture
Also since the tank is in bad shape the plants could be leaking O2 from damaged tissue like you said
Old 06-23-2007, 03:18 PM   #9
MemphisBob
Planted Member

Ya better check with Tom about that. I thought so too til he set me straight.
MemphisBob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2007, 08:58 AM   #10
supaflyz
Planted Member

I have change the water today and I think the CO2 leak. The plants pearl like crazy. I think it's good because more oxygen for the fish to breath.

[IMG]http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g94/supaflyz/Picture018.jpg[/IMG
supaflyz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.