Looking to upgrade lighting
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-22-2013, 02:40 AM   #1
armada
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Looking to upgrade lighting

Right now I have an old 48" standard hood on my 24" 20 gallon tank (it's all I've ever really had). It grows plants decent enough but the bulbs are very old and weakening by the day, and the fixture itself rattles and groans and creaks constantly. I'm looking to buy a nice t5ho fixture than can give me medium (to possibly high in the future??) lighting, but I'm not looking to get into cO2 right now.
This paragraph originally said I was looking for one under $100 but slightly over would be acceptable now as it has become a possibility of a christmas gift. If anyone could please help with some names or possibly links to some good t5ho's (maybe even t5s, whichever would work best (I'm a light noob)), I would be eternally grateful.
Thanks!

Last edited by armada; 11-25-2013 at 06:51 AM.. Reason: changed last paragraph
armada is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 02:46 AM   #2
n2jeeps
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

try aquatraders.com i have a beamswork led very happy with it so far.They also sell t5 lighting great prices
n2jeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:54 AM   #3
armada
Algae Grower

How does this one look? Just to double check... I could remove, say two, of the bulbs to make it less "high" light, right? I'm really new to lighting
ETA: would it provide light to the corners since it's only a 20" (although extendable) and my tank is 24"?
http://www.aquatraders.com/20-inch-4...e-p/52302p.htm

ETA(again): Just did a little reading on CFLs... how many fixtures would I need to get and what bulb wattage for a 20 gallon?

Last edited by armada; 11-22-2013 at 03:20 AM.. Reason: added question
Old 11-22-2013, 04:57 AM   #4
leonardcarlson
Algae Grower

Seems like a lot of light for a 20g, not sure if you can just remove 2 bulbs and the light will still work, I'd find that out before I bought it, unless you are willing to go to co2 and ferts, 72 watts over a 20 g puts you pretty much in high tech, if you are in college and on a budget, do you want to go that route? I have 2 ho t5's over my 20g long, and I still put a piece of screening under them to cut the light by 30%, as I have plants growing emmersed and the exposed leaves burn, in my fish room in the basement, I have 2 cfl's that I bought at lowes, not sure of the wattage off hand, and they work fine for low tech
leonardcarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:27 AM   #5
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2jeeps View Post
try aquatraders.com i have a beamswork led very happy with it so far.They also sell t5 lighting great prices
Use caution when you get fixtures from aquatraders.com They sell fixtures that have been known to catch fire as the ballast are junk. I know a lot of people who have changed out the ballast with icecap ballasts.
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 02:38 AM   #6
armada
Algae Grower

Anyone else have any input/help?