XB Series Launching Today
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Build My LED

Old 12-21-2013, 04:02 PM   #1
Build My LED
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)

XB Series Launching Today

Hello everyone. Heads up…we are launching a brighter line of LED fixtures today. The new XB Series offers up to 40% more light than our original series…at the same wattage!

Let us know if you need any help with your lighting design

Nick
Build My LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #2
wrm130
Planted Member

Awesome! And BOO! Lol

I just received a standard unit about a week ago. Had I known these were coming I would've waited.

Great lights BTW!
Old 12-22-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
Adam T
Algae Grower

I have a 65 gallon hi tech dutch tank I was thinking of pairing one of your lights with a finnex fugeray planted plus (I like that has moon lights), and I was wondering if I should go with the xb series or the standard?

I was also wondering if there is a diy xb thats available? I would like to customize the led colors but want the higher output of the xb.
Adam T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:20 PM   #4
greggg25
Algae Grower

i cant get a straight answer on par numbers for my 48" fluval tho i do get good pearling on my 55
i see your par numbers are wonderful on the bml dutch planted
if i went to the next step and xb isnt this going to be too much light for injected co2 and heavily planted tanks meaning paired with the original fluval.
tank depth is 18 + 1 inch from mount so 19"
greggg25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #5
johnpfaff
Algae Grower

Default Need simple ramp up / ramp down for BML

Need simple ramp up / ramp down for BML, which ones work, without the complexity and high cost of the more popular units? Just want simple light controller - not too much to ask.

Will purchase two 48" fixtures when someone from BML answers my questions, but not before.

Thanks,

John.
johnpfaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 05:09 AM   #6
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpfaff View Post
Need simple ramp up / ramp down for BML
You looking for manual dimmer or automated?

BML makes manual dimmers for their fixtures.

http://www.buildmyled.com/manual-dimming-switch/

If you wanted automated the only option now is their fixtures do work with the Apex controllers.

There is an automated controller in the works BML is making which I would estimate should be released soon based on their previous comments.
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #7
Cara@BML
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam T View Post
I have a 65 gallon hi tech dutch tank I was thinking of pairing one of your lights with a finnex fugeray planted plus (I like that has moon lights), and I was wondering if I should go with the xb series or the standard?
Hi Adam! It depends on which spectrum you're interested in...the 10,000K should give you plenty of PAR even with the regular fixture, and might be a bit much without a dimmer if you went with the XB...particularly as you're combining it with a second fixture. If you're thinking of the Dutch 6300K fixture, you might want the XB, it'll put you in a high light zone of PAR but not as high as the 10,000K XB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam T View Post
I was also wondering if there is a diy xb thats available? I would like to customize the led colors but want the higher output of the xb.
We don't yet have the Configurator set up on our website to build XB fixtures, but yes, it can be done. You might want to play around with the Configurator, build your spectrum, and then send it in to us with instructions to build it as XB. Or call us and we can set it up for you.

Hope this helps!

Cara
Cara@BML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
Cara@BML
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggg25 View Post
i cant get a straight answer on par numbers for my 48" fluval tho i do get good pearling on my 55.
Hi Greggg! Pearling is always a good sign that plants are happy with your mix of light levels plus CO2 and supplementation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggg25 View Post
i see your par numbers are wonderful on the bml dutch planted
if i went to the next step and xb isnt this going to be too much light for injected co2 and heavily planted tanks meaning paired with the original fluval.
tank depth is 18 + 1 inch from mount so 19"
Is that the depth to the substrate, or for the entire tank? You're probably getting medium, possibly med-high light from your current fixture. I think you're right about getting too much light from the XB fixture for your tank when paired with the Fluval...getting over 100 PAR on the substrate could be a recipe for algae even with CO2 and heavy planting. I'd stick with the regular fixtures, were it me.
Old 12-29-2013, 07:10 PM   #9
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I want to upgrade my current order to XB before it is too late and my order ships.
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 07:21 PM   #10
Cara@BML
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpfaff View Post
Need simple ramp up / ramp down for BML, which ones work, without the complexity and high cost of the more popular units? Just want simple light controller - not too much to ask.

Will purchase two 48" fixtures when someone from BML answers my questions, but not before.

Thanks,

John.
Hi John,

To some extent this will depend on how you define complexity and high cost. Currently the best options are an Apex or Reefkeeper controller. If the Apex is not the full version (if it's the Jr. or Lite) you'll need to add an Apex VDM module, and then an Apex dimmer cable from us. If it's the Reefkeeper, you'll need our Reefkeeper cable. After that, it's simply a matter of plugging everything in and programming it, and if you've never played with a controller before there are Youtube videos and all sorts of instructions posted online from other users.

If you can wait a while longer, our Multi-Channel controller will be out within 4-6 weeks; it will allow the same sort of sunrise/sunset programmable features you describe as a pre-set option, and will be priced significantly lower than aforementioned models...probably in the range of $135.

If you're waiting on purchasing BML lights until you have a guaranteed-to-work controller option, you might want to wait on our Multi-Channel fixtures as well. They'll be out in 4-6 weeks and will allow you to independently control your color groups of LEDs, to dim just your daylights, reds, or blues and create a much wider range of color options. Just an idea...don't want to overwhelm you with options and make your choice more difficult!

All previous BML fixtures will be compatible with our controller for full-fixture dimming options, but only the Multi-Channel fixtures will be controllable down to color groups.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Cara
Old 12-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #11
KribsDirect
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

What do the these mean on the order page for BML XB?

"Your Selections":
"ZZ":

Also, I'm not sure about the angles. I assume 90 is the most commonly used? This is for a 36" x 18" x 16"

Thanks! I'm getting excited about my future BML!
KribsDirect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
Build My LED
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KribsDirect View Post
What do the these mean on the order page for BML XB?

"Your Selections":
"ZZ":

Also, I'm not sure about the angles. I assume 90 is the most commonly used? This is for a 36" x 18" x 16"

Thanks! I'm getting excited about my future BML!
Hi Kribs. Those are remnants from the custom programming on our site, but you don't need to worry about them. You typically only see them while using a mobile device. Yes, 90° is best for your tank's 18" depth. Here is some more info about the beam angles: http://www.buildmyled.com/beam-angle-selection-guide/

Nick
Build My LED is offline   Reply With Quote