Looking for Red stemmed plant
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Plants

Old 06-18-2007, 01:22 PM   #1
crazie.eddie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to crazie.eddie Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie Send a message via MSN to crazie.eddie Send a message via Yahoo to crazie.eddie

Looking for Red stemmed plant

Awhile ago, I happened to come a picture of a plant, with a red stem, but green leaves. It looked sort of like Carolina fanwort, with the exception of the red stem. Anyone have any idea what this plant ID might be?

I thought it would be interesting to have in my low tech tanks, but I want to get more info on it.
125 gal (473 liter): Low Tech (1.5wpg PC for 10 hours, no CO2/ferts, gravel substrate), Equipment (72" Coralife PC, Eheim Pro II 2128 w/built in heater, FilStar XP3 w/Hydor ETH201 inline heater), Fish (6*Discus, 2*Angel, 5*Clown loaches, 4*L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, 1*L-260 Queen Arabesque pleco, 7*Cories, Farlowella cat)
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-18-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
spypet
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)

Myriophyllum tuberculatum
Myriophyllum mattogrossense (red)
spypet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #3
TAF CAF
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)

Myriophyllum heterophyllum - Its called Red Foxtail because of its red stem and redish/green leaves.

Colorado Aquarium Society ___ www.2000webdesign.com ___
TAF CAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #4
crazie.eddie
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to crazie.eddie Send a message via AIM to crazie.eddie Send a message via MSN to crazie.eddie Send a message via Yahoo to crazie.eddie

It wasn't any of the above mentioned, but I just spotted it looking through similar species. The one I saw before, is the Myriophyllum spicatum...

According to my research, the common name is the Eurasian watermilfoil and is considered a noxious weed. So I would assume that it does not require allot and easy to grow. Very suitable for my lazy butt The only thing though is some of the other photos I've seen are completely green, including the stems.

Does anyone have Myriophyllum spicatum that looks like the photo?
125 gal (473 liter): Low Tech (1.5wpg PC for 10 hours, no CO2/ferts, gravel substrate), Equipment (72" Coralife PC, Eheim Pro II 2128 w/built in heater, FilStar XP3 w/Hydor ETH201 inline heater), Fish (6*Discus, 2*Angel, 5*Clown loaches, 4*L-018 Gold Nugget pleco, 1*L-260 Queen Arabesque pleco, 7*Cories, Farlowella cat)
crazie.eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
CAF
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

M. spicatum is not on the Federal Noxious Weeds Listing nor is it on your state's listing. I know some examples of the species do have reddish stems, but the majority of them have green stems. The few I have heard of that show the red coloration came from the UK. So I wish you good hunting!

CAF is offline   Reply With Quote