Simple terracing...
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Aquascaping

Old 11-22-2013, 05:33 PM   #1
benjaminleebates
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Simple terracing...

I was thinking of a little terracing in my tank. I have found many examples of people going to amazing lengths for this effect. Could anyone tell me if there is anything wrong with a simple line of stones to keep the higher elevation in place?
Most people build elaborate structures, am I missing something?
benjaminleebates is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
Xiaozhuang
Planted Tank Obsessed

Send a message via MSN to Xiaozhuang

Depends on the degree of slope, and kind of material ? If you use round granule substrate such as ADA, the slopes slowly slip as people plant/replant stuff. Some people might not want a line of stones visible because it affects the aquascape. To keep steep slopes up, and still look relatively clean, people might use hidden substrate supports instead. You can change the hardscape of a tank without disturbing the substrate as much if you use hidden supports instead.

If you're not doing particularly steep slopes, a line of stones would work easily.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:11 AM   #3
EndlerGame
Algae Grower

I've used long, thin pieces of slate, or a long piece of driftwood to help create a terrace and keep substrates separated. You can use whatever you want, a line of rocks would do the trick. The reason most people tend to make a single structure to terrace their aquascape is that the fewer pieces, the fewer cracks for substrate to seep through. Also, in large tanks, it is much cheaper to make something that is synthetic than to buy real rocks from an LFS, which tend to be fairly expensive/lb. However, if you have rocks available, that may work fine to create a terrace, though it will require maintenance a bit more maintenance in seprating substrate and planting around the rocks.
EndlerGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:01 PM   #4
mattjm20
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by benjaminleebates View Post
I was thinking of a little terracing in my tank. I have found many examples of people going to amazing lengths for this effect. Could anyone tell me if there is anything wrong with a simple line of stones to keep the higher elevation in place?
Most people build elaborate structures, am I missing something?
I haven't done it, but I've seen/heard of people using egg crate cut to fit as a support. I believe they have it in the lighting department at home depot. It's just a little plastic square matrix looking thing that you might see over fluorescent lights in an office building or something (not the egg crate foam, or a egg crate in the literal sense)
mattjm20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 06:29 PM   #5
benjaminleebates
Algae Grower

I have tons of clear Polyester 2 mil thick at my disposal. It's really thin so it's easy to manage... I can't see any issue there, can you? I would be using it to help keep my substrate terraced above rock formations. I just need something thin to help keep the sand from sifting through and around the deco and gaps in the rocks.
benjaminleebates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 07:16 PM   #6
ringram
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (66/100%)
Send a message via AIM to ringram

I think a lot of people use egg-crate to help with erosion & terracing in tanks, although I've had trouble finding much explicit evidence.
It seems like cutting a solid sheet to rest on the bottom of your tank is a good way to start, followed by smaller shapes stacked onto one another (attached by zip ties?) for structural support.
At least that's what I plan on doing in my 60P tank that I'm in the process of setting up.

Seems that this is the best (or maybe 'Great Stuff' also) way to create large slopes/hills and not worry about erosion....at least as fast.

SAPS member - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/sacaquaticplant/
ringram is offline   Reply With Quote