The BuildMyLED Club - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2013, 07:58 PM   #31
duderino
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Outside Boston
Posts: 23
Default

I think what you are looking at on the front is my spray bar. I only have one powerhead. I am still experimenting with positioning of it. How do you get it to point down more? I can't seem to get mine to swivel to point more down which I would like to do.

THe poles are called Aquatic Life Stand Fixture. I got them from Amazon but others sell them as well. They are a bit pricy, but I liked the looks of them. I wanted something discreet. I used the standard hanging kit from BML.
duderino is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #32
Markahsf
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Markahsf's Avatar
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 496
Default

I'm also thinking of getting a nano 240. The one thing I was worried about was having the plants near the powerhead bending because of the current. How strong is the 240?

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 ACTIVE using Tapatalk 2
Markahsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:57 PM   #33
Build My LED
Sponsor
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 63
Default

Great pictures! Maybe we should have a BML tank contest :-)

Nick
Build My LED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #34
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Sake's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st louis missouri
Posts: 861
Default

Nick you don't have time to be on here chatting, I just ordered mine Friday, now get your butt in the shop and get to makin it! lol I am really excited and can't wait till I get it. Just got a whole bunch of new plants because of this light.
__________________
You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.
Sake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:11 AM   #35
bsantucci
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (5/100%)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 522
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by duderino View Post
I think what you are looking at on the front is my spray bar. I only have one powerhead. I am still experimenting with positioning of it. How do you get it to point down more? I can't seem to get mine to swivel to point more down which I would like to do.
Turn the nano so that the power cord in under it. When it's turned like that it can aim down. Weird build to have it be like that but it works.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Markahsf View Post
I'm also thinking of getting a nano 240. The one thing I was worried about was having the plants near the powerhead bending because of the current. How strong is the 240?

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 ACTIVE using Tapatalk 2
I don't have any tail stems near it. I have it aiming right and on the front side glass. See my pictures earlier. I love the current it creates. More of a vortex so it doesn't destroy everything in its path. The fish love swimming in it too.


Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
__________________
bsantucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #36
angelcraze
Planted Member
 
angelcraze's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Gatineau
Posts: 189
Default

I am so impressed with the reds obtained in so many of these BML tanks. Beautiful tanks everyone, I absolutely can't wait till I can order my BML fixture. I want my fixture more and more.
angelcraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 04:37 PM   #37
howze01
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Bridgewater
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sake View Post
Nick you don't have time to be on here chatting, I just ordered mine Friday, now get your butt in the shop and get to makin it! lol I am really excited and can't wait till I get it. Just got a whole bunch of new plants because of this light.
I second this! Mine is due to ship out today. After it's shipped you can post again =) Seriously though, really looking forward to trying it out!
howze01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #38
crazymittens
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Oshawa
Posts: 674
Default

I'll bite. Journal is in my sig...72" 13000k w. dimmer, love love love it. Seeing lots of growth, although not running any CO2. Pics are a little old, now.



__________________
crazymittens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:12 PM   #39
Markahsf
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Markahsf's Avatar
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelcraze View Post
I am so impressed with the reds obtained in so many of these BML tanks. Beautiful tanks everyone, I absolutely can't wait till I can order my BML fixture. I want my fixture more and more.
You're absolutely correct. These fixtures really bring out the red. I was going to go with the dutch because I was afraid the 10,000K wouldn't bring out the reds but after Nick told me it would, I listened to him and I couldn't be happier. The picture I posted really doesn't do the fixture any justice. I really wish I had a better camera. My neons look incredible under the 10,000K spectrum. The literally glow from across the room. It's awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 ACTIVE using Tapatalk 2
Markahsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 05:46 PM   #40
Sake
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
Sake's Avatar
 
PTrader: (6/100%)
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: st louis missouri
Posts: 861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markahsf View Post
You're absolutely correct. These fixtures really bring out the red. I was going to go with the dutch because I was afraid the 10,000K wouldn't bring out the reds but after Nick told me it would, I listened to him and I couldn't be happier. The picture I posted really doesn't do the fixture any justice. I really wish I had a better camera. My neons look incredible under the 10,000K spectrum. The literally glow from across the room. It's awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 ACTIVE using Tapatalk 2
I'm soo glad to hear that, I went with the 10k also and that was one of my fears. Thanks for reassuring me
__________________
You shouldn't take life to seriously. You'll never get out alive.
Sake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 02:06 AM   #41
Markahsf
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Markahsf's Avatar
 
PTrader: (12/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 496
Default

Heres a good story for you guys..

Three weeks ago, I purchased some plants that had algae and added it to my tank. Little did I know, I was introducing thread algae to my tank. Well when I got them, I raised the co2 a tiny bit. My regulator is top notch and has an ideal needle valve, known for its pinpoint accuracy and ability to keep a consistent bubble rate. The bubble counter attached is a JBJ brass style bubble counter.

Well all the liquid from the bubble counter had evaporated and I had no idea what my bubbles per second was but since I had an great needle valve, I thought nothing of it.

Fast forward a few days and the thread algae got worse. Every day, I'd have to manually remove strands of it and every day, I raised the bps. It got worse every day and I continued to raise the bubble count little by little. I also noticed my plants weren't growing as fast and I though it had something to do with my algae problem.

We'll guess what? It turns out I was LOWERING my co2 output everyday instead of raising it. I didn't know because like I said earlier, the liquid from the bubble counter was all gone. So my plants stopped growing and my algae problem got worse.

Stupidest thing I've ever done. Hopefully after figuring out my mistake, i can get rid of all the thread algae for good. It's barely noticeable since it's so thin but it bugs the hell out of me. Apparently my memory is so bad that I can't even remember which way to turn the needle valve. Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG GALAXY S4 ACTIVE using Tapatalk 2
Markahsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:40 PM   #42
Sajacobs
Planted Tank Obsessed
 
Sajacobs's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brewster, ny
Posts: 486
Default

Ugh. Hair algae. Learning something new every day.
Sajacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #43
JoseRivera
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bay area, CA
Posts: 36
Default

[IMG][/IMG]
JoseRivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:58 PM   #44
JoseRivera
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bay area, CA
Posts: 36
Default

72" Dutch planted 6300k 60 deg
JoseRivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #45
JoseRivera
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Bay area, CA
Posts: 36
Default

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
JoseRivera is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Planted Tank LLC 2012