RES Turtle tank
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Herp (Reptiles and Amphibians)

Old 11-15-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
n3hihz
Algae Grower

PTrader: (5/100%)

RES Turtle tank

Hi all,
My turtles have outgrown the 20L tank and I'm changing over to a 40B possibly a 75 if I can manage to fit it. I've never used much just a few big rocks a floating platform and filter rock. Kind of thinking about making it nicer this time around.

The 40B I'm getting is drilled on top right corner which I'm planning on using as a feed for my eheim 2217 or 2236 (have both not sure which to use yet) tubes to go through for a cleaner look. Have a coralife HO T5 dual that I will run white and rep UVB bulbs on. And a clip lamp hopefully can bring temp to desired temp.

My question is I want to plant one side and can't decide what and if it would have a negative impact.

Any advice would be great. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
n3hihz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
Tabberwok
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

In my experience. it depends on your turtles' personalities as to whether they will let you have a planted portion of the tank. Sliders like to dig around in substrate and eat greenery, though i've heard some people have had luck with their turtles not digging. I don't think it would have a negative impact, and in fact I think it would be pretty cool if you could get your turtles to cooperate (and it'd help keep the water cleaner which is always nice in a turtle tank) you'll probably have the best luck with plants that don't have to be rooted, and i'd make sure everything you put in there isn't going to be poisonous to your turtles. The only plants i've had luck with with my RES is hornwort, moss, and subwassertang. she eats or digs up everything else i've tried lol
Tabberwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 03:37 AM   #3
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

My RES will eat plant/fish you put in the tank. The only thing I feel safe putting into it are silk plants. I feel my RES my trimmings and frogbit from my planted tank.

Definitely go with the largest tank you can get and the largest filter. Check out redearslider dot com for advice and tank setup ideas.
devilduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 08:02 PM   #4
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

I tried for a long time to have a planted RES tank, but he would eat anything I put in the tank. I tried Vals, Anubias, Crypts, Swords, Nymphoides, various stems... he was a plant eating machine. He would also take chunks out of any fish I put in the tank, dig in the substrate, and rearrange any rocks or driftwood I added. He eventually got moved into my pond.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
n3hihz
Algae Grower

So I bought a DIY 60G Rimless tank 36"x24" no leaks. I think I'm going with Java Fern, Anubias. Fish is prob not gonna survive especially with 2 turtles.
Old 11-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
devilduck
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Get some tank decor so the fish can hide in or behind them and they will last longer and your turtle will be entertained by "hunting" them. Before I got some decor a dozen feeder minnows wouldn't last 2 days. Now I usually get 3 or so that can outwit the turtle for months.
devilduck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 06:43 PM   #7
tjurhs
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

my RES is also a planting eating machine. she would probably even eat plants that are not good for her if I put them in her tank, so I don't. be really careful about what you put in there! I grow the aquatic plants seperatly and feed them to her as "treats" along with worms and legless crickets.

I have a few minnows in her tank, but so far she has not been fast enough to catch one, maybe she's living off a "turtle welfare program" so she doesn't have to work to eat

and yes check out redearslider dot com you'll meet cool people there like funny colored horned ducks
tjurhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 06:41 AM   #8
SlammedDC2
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)

I recently upgraded from a 55 to a 125 for my two. I have a Cumberland slider who doesn't eat any plants except frogbit. When I added a yellow belly slider all the plants were eaten in a few days. Now a days the only plants are grown above water in planters.
As for fish as tank mates I have a pink tail chalceus that has been with them for about a year. He is to fast for them catch, now they don't even try to catch him. I do however keep feeder guppies in the tank along with crawfish all the time. They will go through 3 dozen or so guppies and 5-10 crawfish a week. They also eat turtle food and worms.
I guess I'm lucky as they don't dig although it wouldn't really matter as there is only pool filter sand. They also don't move any of the driftwood.

I do however have a question for you...where did you find T5 uvb bulbs?I have searched high and low with no luck.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:09 AM   #9
n3hihz
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlammedDC2 View Post
I recently upgraded from a 55 to a 125 for my two. I have a Cumberland slider who doesn't eat any plants except frogbit. When I added a yellow belly slider all the plants were eaten in a few days. Now a days the only plants are grown above water in planters.
As for fish as tank mates I have a pink tail chalceus that has been with them for about a year. He is to fast for them catch, now they don't even try to catch him. I do however keep feeder guppies in the tank along with crawfish all the time. They will go through 3 dozen or so guppies and 5-10 crawfish a week. They also eat turtle food and worms.
I guess I'm lucky as they don't dig although it wouldn't really matter as there is only pool filter sand. They also don't move any of the driftwood.

I do however have a question for you...where did you find T5 uvb bulbs?I have searched high and low with no luck.

They have it on amazon. Zoo med makes 20-48" I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk