MINI Tropical Grazer from New Era - Are you using it? What do you think?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 11-14-2013, 05:17 AM   #1
m00se
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

MINI Tropical Grazer from New Era - Are you using it? What do you think?

Hi folks. I'm about to order a package from Kens Fish. I have been getting a lot of advertisements in my inbox with this new grazing ring formula for small freshwater grazers. I am up to my armpits in fish food right now so I don't really need it, but I thought "what the heck"... I guess I'm just wondering if this food is going to end up in the pile of other "hey this looks cool" junk that invariably accumulates in this hobby.

One thing I am really interested in knowing is whether you exhaust the total ring before lights-out with a tank of 25-30 fish of varying size or do you take the ring out and ____? Dry it out and re-use it or throw it away?

Thanks in advance fellow fish!

m00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #2
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

I purchased this food and attempted to feed it to all my tanks to see how they would take to a new food. The tanks are as follows: live bearers (molly, platy, endler), tropicals (neons, cardinals, xray tetras, apistos, rams), another tank of tropicals (endlers, glo-lights, sae, cories), shrimp tanks (crs, cherries, otos, chili rasbora) and lastly my high tech tank (ember tetras, white clouds, oil cats, pencil fish, Amanos).

Each time i fed the tanks, i waited 30 minutes and pulled the food out fearing waste and fouling the water. one time i left the food for half a day (5 hours) and when i returned it was not on the suction cup anymore! yay!... No! it merely split and fell on the floor. even the cories avoid it.

No offense new Era, but none of my fish like this formulation. They would likely have to starve a week for them to peck at it like in the videos on youtube...

Please save your money and get beefheart, beef liver, and earthworm flakes or pellets. They will be appreciated

Old 11-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #3
m00se
Wannabe Guru

Yea, this is what I fear. I bought NLS "water stable" sinking wafers and no one would touch it. Thank you sir. Keep em comin!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:28 PM   #4
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

i know the saltwater ones you can leave in the tank for a couple hours. i didn't know they had a freshwater one. i just messaged my boss to see if he can order me a sample (i pt at a LFS), maybe you won't have to waste your money

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:11 PM   #5
m00se
Wannabe Guru

Thanks Will. I am imagining this food is similar to those water stable disks that I mentioned in the OP, so I am not expecting much in the way of enthusiasm from the fish. I went ahead and made my order without the rings. I *am* interested in what you discover if you get them in and test them.

Cheers
Old 11-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #6
VivaDaWolf
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (13/100%)

My fish ate them, fwiw. It took them a while to realize that the thing sticking there was food, as opposed to the surface or bottom, but. They ate it?
VivaDaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:33 AM   #7
Aquatic Delight
H is for Hillstream

PTrader: (9/100%)

we got bored one day and fed the marine grazer to the S.A. and african cichlids. they did tear it up.

my boss said he could get a sample for me to try. i'll feed to all the tanks at work and mine, and see what happens. that totals about 30 tanks with varying species, should be a good test sample.

Hillstream/Boreno Loach Refuge

A Light Heart is Better than a Heavy Wallet.
Aquatic Delight is offline   Reply With Quote