Lighting for 4 tanks
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 02-03-2004, 06:23 AM   #1
reddstagg
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ive been lurking for a year or so now... and had no real reason to post. After starting a planted tank i now have a reason.

Im getting 2 3ft/2ft/1ft tanks... large foot print but rather shallow.

I also have 2 other tanks one 3ft/18'/18' thats running 2 30w power-glo and another 3ft/16'/18' thats running 1 30w aquaglo. (only low light plants)

In the 2 new tanks im just wondering what sort of lighting i should be looking at... i was thinking about 4 compact fluros (Im in australia... MH are mega expensive...compact fluros or fluros are only real option) over each tank...the tanks will be used to raise java fern plantlets.. java moss ... glosso ... ricca ... chain swords.
They will also be used to breed fish.

However i dont fully understand ballasts... would i need them? if so what size?

Can anyone explain how i would go about doing this... or point me in some direction.

Dean
reddstagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2004, 04:36 PM   #2
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (163/100%)

Hi Dean,

All flavors of fluorescent bulbs need ballasts. Some of them, like the little spiral shaped compacts, have them built into their base. Most of them have ballasts separately in some sort of fixture.

It is really up to you if you want to use regular fluorescents or power compacts... both can be used. Regular fluorescents are cheaper, run cooler, and light evenly, while power compacts have higher wattages in a smaller form factor, being able to penetrate even tall tanks with lots of light.
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
NFish
Planted Member

Location: Colorado, USA, North America, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

You can just get a 96 watt Compact Flourescent light on there (one on each tank). That will give you more than 2 watt per gallon and that is plenty since your tank is only 12 inches tall. Check out ahsupply.com for their lighting kits. I think you can probably get them to ship to Australia.

Alternately you can use regular fluorescents. You need about 2 to 3 + watts per gallon. You have about 45 U.S. gallons in each tank, minus about 5 gallons or so for substrate, rocks, decorations, plants. So atleast 80 watts over each tank.

Hope that helps.

NFish
John 3:16 Romans 10:9
NFish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2004, 09:50 PM   #4
reddstagg
Algae Grower

After spending all day yesterday reading up on ballasts, compact fluros, color temps and the like i have a better understand. Can you get 96w compact fluros? thats very cool... i sorta need to get the tanks up to 3 or 4 wpg. so i might get 2 96w CF.... plus im going to go to a local hydroponics store and get some reflecters and ferts. I think i should be pretty right.

Ill set up a thread in the photo album of the construction on the rack and setting up lighting and a continuing tank dairy.
reddstagg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.