Finnex ray+monster ray question
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 07-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Toby_kourtney
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)

Finnex ray+monster ray question

Would a 48 inch ray 2 and 48 inch monster ray give me high light on a 75 gallon tank?
Toby_kourtney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Yes, that combination would give you high light. Just the Ray2 gets you very close to high light, assuming a substrate depth of about 3-4 inches, with the light sitting on top of the tank.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:13 PM   #3
Toby_kourtney
Algae Grower

Thanks for the quick response. I'm trying to decide on whether or not I want to get a monster ray to add with my ray 2 or wait for the fugeray planted +. Right now I have an aquaticlife dual t5HO with it which may be too much light.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

A few of us are quite pleased with the Ray II and Monster Ray pairing. I personally have two tanks with this combination and have fantastic results.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:22 AM   #5
Toby_kourtney
Algae Grower

I guess it's time to start saving up. What size tanks do you have them on?
Old 07-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #6
dhavoc
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (55/100%)

great combo. its my only tank that works all led now. i usually mix a coralife/aqueon t5no (10k/grow bulb) strip with a ray2 and it works just the same. great growth and color is not washed out.
dhavoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #7
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

40 gallon breeder and a 20 gallon high, both with similar height. The breeder obviously has a significantly deeper with at 18".

I do have a teklight quad t5Ho in a breeder tank above to contrast with.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:42 PM   #8
Toby_kourtney
Algae Grower

Funny you should mention adding the t5no I just had to replace my t5ho fixture that I had paired with the ray 2 for a t5no coralife fixture. The aquaticlife dual t5ho with the ray 2 on my 75 I think was to much light.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #9
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Interesting....before I got my t5's I wanted to do LED but didn't know of any good ones that would work for a 75

So, a 48" dual 7K and a 48" monster will be high light for a 75 gallon? And because its an LED you won't need to worry about changing anything with it for many, many years yes?

It seems to me that the only drawback to this approach is a slightly higher starting price, and the inability to change color spectrum options/do more customizable things. That and that moonlights would be extra but that seems pretty simple to accommodate.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #10
Toby_kourtney
Algae Grower

I wouldn't even say the starting price is higher a ray 2 is 150 dollars shipped which is what you would pay for a decent dual T5HO. The ray 2 lasts 40000 hours so I run mine 6 hours a day which comes out to 18 year bulb life. The only down side is the ray 2 doesn't put out much red light so you have to find a supplement light.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #11
HybridHerp
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby_kourtney View Post
I wouldn't even say the starting price is higher a ray 2 is 150 dollars shipped which is what you would pay for a decent dual T5HO. The ray 2 lasts 40000 hours so I run mine 6 hours a day which comes out to 18 year bulb life. The only down side is the ray 2 doesn't put out much red light so you have to find a supplement light.
Is that supplement light the monster ray then? Idk how much red it makes but that seems to be the common combo. And I'm saying that combo is more expensive than doing even the 4 bulb t5-ho that I have....something with good reflectors and all.
Mom's Spec V:http://tinyurl.com/qjt3rw2
HybridHerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #12
Toby_kourtney
Algae Grower

Yea Monster ray or any other led fixture that's strictly rgbs. I'm thinking the current + might be just as good to supplement red. Any opinions on current plus against the monster ray for supplementing lack of color?
Old 08-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
tom28
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Really interesting thread. Personally I think the Ray2 and Monster Ray combo looks too pink/red.
I'm with Toby and think that the addition of a customisable LED system like the current+ would be ideal.
Has anyone tried this?

My issue is I live in the UK and we have very little in terms of LED strips like this. Hopefully these work in a simple power adapter, anyone know if they are compatible with 240v and 50Hz?
tom28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 08:11 AM   #14
mwuf15
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)

Interesting thread, Is it a better combo with dual 7k ray2 and monsterRay or the new fugeRay Planted+ with the dual 7k ray2?

anyone got pictures for comparison?
mwuf15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:16 AM   #15
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwuf15 View Post
Interesting thread, Is it a better combo with dual 7k ray2 and monsterRay or the new fugeRay Planted+ with the dual 7k ray2?

anyone got pictures for comparison?
Better is a relative to many things, budgets, goals of the scaper, type of plants kept, etc... Photos wouldn't prove any more useful than having the actual lighting specs explained since a majority of folks use the "auto" setting on their cameras or rely on camera phones.

In all types of planted aquarium lighting, not exclusive to LEDs, a balance covering the full spectrum will always be a safe bet to plan for.

If one were to pair the RAY II with Planted+, there would be an abundance of blue light with little red in ratio. That would provide a very high par but the lighting would not be balanced. Hence the trend in introducing red and full spectrum LEDs in the marketplace. There's plenty of info on these lamps if you take the time to google online.

A viable alternative would be pairing two Planted+ LEDs which may produce more more light PAR than the RAY II and MonsterRay combination.
I only have a single Planted+ fixture so this is merely a hypothesis. Would love to get feedback from anyone that has two Planted+ fixtures.

Last edited by acitydweller; 11-13-2013 at 10:29 AM.. Reason: dabble
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote