The Planted Tank Forum banner

New lights for my Aqueon 29

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Bryk 
#1 ·
I want to upgrade the lighting. The stock 20W florescent lighting has been working but it is kind of dim. I have no idea what the par values are. I would like to try something a bit brighter.

The tank is about 20.5in. tall, 30in. long and has about 2in. of substrate. The tank is low tech. No co2 and only the occasional root tab for fertilizer. Im pretty sure that my current set up would be considered low light. I want a light that will be brighter for aesthetics and I would like something that is better suited to growing plants. They aren't getting whole lot of light right now. But I don't want to add co2 at this time.

I have been looking into some of the Finnex lights but I am not sure what to get. I have a good clean up crew so Im not too worried about algae but I don't want issues there. I am thinking about getting something a bit brighter than I need for now and adding some floaters or something to filter the light. That way I would't have to upgrade again if change the setup in the future. Is this a good idea?

I have been searching the forums and the best articles I have seen are from people who have shorter tanks or are running co2.

Do you have any recommendations?

See less See more
#2 ·
Dirt Convert,

I am one of the many on here that are staunch Finnex supporters so I obviously may be a bit biased, and on the other hand, I hopefully can answer any questions you have.

Currently I have a Ray 2 on a 37G, which is the same tank as your 29G, just a few inches even taller(in case you didn't know). I also had an aqueon modular on the front of the lid assisting the ray2 and providing some red from its color max led bulbs.

I also have a fugeray 36" on my 46G.

With the planted+ out now I went ahead and took the plunge since I am looking to setup 3 new tanks this winter(ordering 6 planted+), as well as to boost the PAR overall coverage and eliminate blindspots as I am a believer of having multiple lights of moderate PAR instead of a high PAR light that has to be hung well above the tank.

One of them that I did order is a 30" planted+ to go ahead and replace the aqueon modular on the 37G. Currently I feel with the combo I had around medium light. I am ideally looking for medium to medium high. I will have my ray 2 as far back as possible on the lid, and the planted+ on the front as far front as possible on the lid. I'm hoping with this combo that I will get excellent growth from all corners of the tank.

That said, for a 29G, it depends on how high of light you are looking for. Also are you looking for reds or not? If you don't care about the front and back corners, and don't care about reds, then I would recommend the ray 2. That along with substrate should put your substrate perhaps just under medium light, so the upper edge of low-medium light.

However if you are looking to plant it fairly heavily like I have mine, and are looking for that medium-high light. I think 2 planted+s should work for you. Or also you could go planted+ and a fugeray.

I have just setup 3 temporary tanks to get plants growing as I plan the stand I want to build that will support my new tri-tank setup that I am looking to put together in the next couple months. With the lights arriving soon I will be able to give direct feedback since I am setting up a 20L, 29G, and 40B. They will only be setup for a few months, but by then I will have all the precise data I need to answer any question to the best of my knowledge/experience.

Ultimately, my 46G will have a 36" planted+ and my aqueon modular, my 37G as I indicated above, one of my 40Bs will have 2 planted+, one as far front as possible, and one as far back as possible. The 55G will have the same, (2 planted+). Finally my other 40B will have the fugeray off of my 46G since I am looking for just low light java fern, anarachis, and some anubias tank as part of my breeding tanks experiment. I want to see how quickly the cichlids will eat the anacharis. I'm wondering if I have enough of it, can the grow keep up with their hunger.

Hopefully that gives you enough of an idea, if not please feel free to ask for any clarifications or any other questions.

#3 ·
Dirt Convert,
That said, for a 29G, it depends on how high of light you are looking for. Also are you looking for reds or not? If you don't care about the front and back corners, and don't care about reds, then I would recommend the ray 2. That along with substrate should put your substrate perhaps just under medium light, so the upper edge of low-medium light.
By reds do you mean red plants? I do not have any red plants. Most of my tank is planted in a variety of crypts on the ends and back of the tank, a few vals and anubias nana and java fern on the drift wood. I think my tank would fall under the heavily planted category. Nothing grows very fast because there is so little light. The plants do grow in pretty thick but it takes a while.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.