Ramp timer pro details are out! - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Current-USA and Ecoxotic

Old 11-22-2013, 11:26 PM   #16
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)

That is what they told me too but they stated it was just a quick flash when it started its dimming cycle not really a strobe and that it only happened with one preset. Is it doing something different on yours than what they are stating? I am going to program mine and see what happens.
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2013, 12:23 AM   #17
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (12/100%)

nope, mine strobes for the entire 15 minutes during gradual ramping up or down. Its really noticeable when the light is at its dimmest. It really looks like it can almost induce a seizure and quite honestly, gives me a big of a headache. I also worried about the effect it may have on led life so I stopped using it.

What disappointed me was the fact that they admit they know about this problem, sent me a link from a 3rd party site explaining compatibility issues while it does not mention this on their page when trying to sell it on any retailer. I would have had nothing bad to say if they offered me a refund for a return. Its a shame, I love their sat+ lights.
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2013, 02:09 AM   #18
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (171/100%)

I use the Truelumens Pro series striplights with an analog dimmer (had to buy separately). The analog dimmer works really well and allow the lights to be adjusted to suit your preference. It is too bad the Satellite LED+ and Ramp dimmers don't work as well, otherwise they'd have a winning combination on their hands. The flickering may shorten the life of the fixture.

Incase you are considering these, The truelumens Pro striplights do not come with an on/off switch nor mounting legs so all of these (hidden cost) items add up and inflate the price... The 8000k versions are the best from this line for a planted tank. The others produce too much blue spectrum and zero red.
Old 11-23-2013, 04:27 AM   #19
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasob85 View Post
nope, mine strobes for the entire 15 minutes during gradual ramping up or down. Its really noticeable when the light is at its dimmest. It really looks like it can almost induce a seizure and quite honestly, gives me a big of a headache. I also worried about the effect it may have on led life so I stopped using it.
That's good info to have. I hooked mine up and it dimmed as advertised but, I wasn't home when it went through it's cycle. So I can say if it happened or not on mine. I think I am going to set up some test cycles tomorrow and playing around with it on the different presets and see what happens. They said it only happens on one 1 preset. On currents side it says the Ramp Timer only does on/off. They told me they said that because of that glitch with that preset. It has to be a glitch with the Ramp Timer since the Uno mode it works without any issues. Where I bought mine it said the Ramp Timer worked with it and said nothing about it doing on/off. I ordered it anyways because I had already talked to Current USA and was aware of the glitch.

They also told me they were still working on things to fix this. They wanted to create a quality light that was still affordable and for that I have to commend them. This has to be a glitch with the Ramp Timer and not the light since the fixture works fine with the Uno mod. I know this is a little frustrating for some but I was aware of this from calling them which I know can be misleading from other sites but they clearly state on their site this fixture won't dim so they are playing it safe even though it will work and saying it won't because of that glitch. In the end though this is just a feature that really shouldn't make or break the fixture. Is it nice? Absolutely but, at least the are making an effort and an attempt to offer a fixture that would cost twice as much. At least they are making an effort because this has been a feature that is widely requested from any manufacture and Current is at least stepping up to the plate and trying to accommodate the buyers needs. I am sure in time they will get this sorted and release something that will meet our requests. This should take away from the performance of this fixture as it is only a feature and it's not a feature that will make or break growing plants. If it works well and does what it is suppose to that is all that matter at least for me because you'll have the same issues with other brands as they don't offer this feature or attempt to. It's a very good light, nice and small and compact and stays very cool. It has a lot of positives than negatives and that is good for me. Only time will tell if it does well for growing plants which in the end that is all I really care about but, with 2 of them it is servering up 4K lumens which is plenty of light and you have the ability to change the spectrum which no one else offers.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #20
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Well I am kind of disappointed in this light now. They stated that these will ramp down to moonlights and they don't. They dim down but not to moonlights, they just dim off. That doesn't work for me and not what I am looking for. Looks like I may have to return these and go with BML to get what I am looking for. I know those at least work with the Apex.
Old 11-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #21
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The sat+ light itself is great for low light tanks. It has that full spectrum which really makes colors pop as well. It grew all my plants very well. I am only disappointed with the timer.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #22
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

We all purchased the Sat+ knowing that you have to manually use the remote to change settings. For $70 bucks my low light 10 gallon shrimp/moss setup looks great. We can't sit here and be mad at a company for some add on product not coming out yet or coming out for only their new marine led fixture. Sure I'm bummed but how mad can you really get? Just build an Arduino if you need it so bad.

And to the OP from Current, don't post on this forum and then disappear. It's definitely bad for your companies image. Clearly people are upset. A huge percentage of members on this forum support the company and bought these fixtures knowing they are not really even meant for plants(hence why people have had to buy two!).
Fiftymeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 01:46 PM   #23
Roth
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

This disappearing act has definitely negatively affected my perception of Current. The Ramp Timer Pro isn't what we were all hoping for, I get that. I'm a reasonable adult and can accept that some difficulties came up in the development cycle.

However, to post this info, and then just disappear, that kind of sticks in my craw. Own up to the mistake and be here to answer consumer questions/complaints. By ignoring the issue, you aren't making it go away, you're just upsetting people even more!

I guess I had high(er) expectations from Current?

12 gallon long planted shimp tank (just Amano's now, but hopefully some Blue Dreams soon!)
Roth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 01:53 PM   #24
Dobie Swift
Algae Grower

And they've never announced a winner for the giveaway...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=474897
Old 11-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #25
Sac ave
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth View Post
...I guess I had high(er) expectations from Current?
Pretty much my feelings, also. I'd add, in response to a couple of earlier comments, that while it's true that I purchased my first Sat+ without any concerns about ramp timer capabilities, that's definitely not the case with my purchase of a second unit. I based that totally on what I believed would be the Ramp Timer Pro functionality as broadly outlined here. That's not a purchase decision I'd have made based on current knowledge.
Sac ave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #26
Drunk_Tank
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan78 View Post
I spoke with someone from Current USA Monday before I ordered my Satellite Plus+ fixtures. Which I got yesterday and looking forward to do the Arduino as it will suite my needs of what I am looking for perfectly. Which is the main reason I went with these. It is a great light from first impression but looks don't grow plants. That will be the real test so will have to wait to see on that.

Anyways, the Ramp Timer Pro will NOT work with the Satellite+ but, The currently Ramp Timer WILL work with the Satellite+. Only issue with using that timer is with one of the preset colors when it starts to dim there is a small flash that happens. Not on all of them just one. I haven't programmed my timer yet so I am not sure which one it happens on. This is just what the told me from Current as they couldn't recall which one it was ether. So they list it on their site that it doesn't work with the Satellite because of that but, it will indeed work with it if you don't mind the small flash on one of the presets. Only downfall to this timer is it doesn't randomly go through the programs but, that is where the Arduino comes into play.

So you have two options. If you want customized programs to trigger then do the Arduino build. If you just want simple night/day cycles with dimming then go with the Ramp Timer.
i have the single ramp timer and it seems to me the lower you have have the light output tweaked the worse the "strobe light" effect. i have a piranha tank non planted, they dont like bright lights so i had the CS+ set pretty dim with the reds cranked 3/4 way up. it looked great and the fish seemed more active and less washed out. i got my timer a few weeks later and the first night during the 15min ramp down it was like a disco party in my tank and my fish were freeking out. the next night i night with the whites and reds turned right up and it works as advertised. pretty disappointing. i will try other setting combos when i find time to see what else i can and cant get away with. without the ramp up/down its just and expensise digital timer.
Drunk_Tank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2013, 02:55 AM   #27
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
This disappearing act has definitely negatively affected my perception of Current. The Ramp Timer Pro isn't what we were all hoping for, I get that. I'm a reasonable adult and can accept that some difficulties came up in the development cycle.

However, to post this info, and then just disappear, that kind of sticks in my craw. Own up to the mistake and be here to answer consumer questions/complaints. By ignoring the issue, you aren't making it go away, you're just upsetting people even more!

Given that it was a friday night, I could understand why the Current rep did not respond over the weekend. However, its tuesday now and I am getting tired of waiting for some response.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:50 AM   #28
Vermino
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac ave View Post
Pretty much my feelings, also. I'd add, in response to a couple of earlier comments, that while it's true that I purchased my first Sat+ without any concerns about ramp timer capabilities, that's definitely not the case with my purchase of a second unit. I based that totally on what I believed would be the Ramp Timer Pro functionality as broadly outlined here. That's not a purchase decision I'd have made based on current knowledge.
Well I remember talking to one of the heads of Current USA a few weeks ago and telling me about the "bad batch" of Ramp Timers. Even though I was lucky enough to not get a "bad batch" ramp timer for my review he assured me they were working on fixing the problem. (this was a single ramp timer, not a pro)

I don't know for sure if they already started selling the pros yet, but I believe they are talking to their manufacturer to get all the kinks worked out. Sometimes you accidentally put the cart in-front of the horse.

For the compliments and issues, I think they are overloaded with how the holidays are going plus with how many bad timers that could of been in the batch, who knows how many replies they have to make.

Vermino is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 09:10 PM   #29
Current USA
Sponsor

Hey Guys!

Sorry for the late response!

To clarify, we're not trying to avoid questions, just we've been really busy with new products and the holidays coming. I'm the only one handling the forums right now so really sorry about that! But if you call us or message us over our website, you’ll get responses within 1 business day as always!

The controller has 2 plugs but it would control the light if you only plugged one in. The other line can be used for another satellite plus. As I’ve mentioned in many other threads, the ramp timer pro will control:

Sunrise- 15 minute ramp up
Sundown- 15 minute ramp down
Minimum intensity- moonlight

And dynamic effects on demand! Keep in mind the RGBs will flicker a little bit the first several seconds but we’re working hard on fixing this. You may not even notice it.

Dynamic modes will not be able to be programmed into the ramp timer pro. As that requires 4 channel controls and will be out of our target price range.

You all are welcomed to use DIY arduino if that fulfills your needs. We fully encourage that but we do not provide support for 3rd party controllers and other products.

Thanks all in advance for your understanding!!

Follow us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CurrentUSA
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-04-2013, 09:15 PM   #30
Current USA
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coralbandit View Post
you have the nerve to post and not reply.With thousands of dollars in current lights (and our previous communications YOU HAVE SOME NERVE!).It seems clear how you operate your business.My name here is not my email so you don't know me,but I will keep my post "factual" as you requested.Everyone/anyone who purchases a current fixture make sure you send in your warranty cards 100% accurate and complete,as there idea of "customer support" is greatly lacking,and although I really like my true lumen pros,the ballast are bunk,and they refuse to admit it!All is well with current as long as they get your money and never hear from you again!Ask me how I know?
Hey Coral bandit,

We're sorry you've had a bad experience with our customer service. Email me at kevin@current-usa.com and I will make sure you're taken care of.

Kevin

Follow us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CurrentUSA
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.