Ramp timer pro details are out!
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Sponsors > Current-USA and Ecoxotic

Old 11-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #1
Current USA
Sponsor

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ramp timer pro details are out!

Check out our newest product, the orbit marine (you guys probably don't care)

but... it comes with a

THE RAMP TIMER PRO!

Check out the detailed video explanation here:

Timers sold individually will be available in the next 2 months!

Follow us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/CurrentUSA
Current USA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #2
Roth
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)

I have to say, I'm kind of worried after watching that video and reading the instructions online. Hopefully you can answer a few questions for me.

How will the Ramp Timer Pro work with the Satellite LED+? The Marine Orbit has two plugs, one for the blue channel, one for the white channel. The LED+ only has one plug that controls all the LED's.

How will we adjust the color spectrum on the LED+? The Ramp Timer Pro just allows intensity adjustments for the blue channel, and for the white channel. The LED+ uses white and RGB LED's.

Is there no way to put the dynamic cloud cover effect into the timing schedule? Does it have to be on demand only while the timing schedule is paused?

Will we be able to control two LED+'s with one Ramp Timer Pro?

I'm really hoping the answer is there's a separate version coming out for the LED+! I've been looking forward to this timer for a long time, actually one of the reasons I went with the LED+ in the first place. If what we end up with is what's in the video...well, it might be time to look into a DIY Arduino...hopefully that isn't the case

12 gallon long planted shimp tank (just Amano's now, but hopefully some Blue Dreams soon!)

Last edited by Roth; 11-12-2013 at 12:25 PM.. Reason: Edits
Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #3
Sac ave
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roth View Post
I have to say, I'm kind of worried after watching that video and reading the instructions online. ...
My thoughts exactly, after watching the video. I've a second Sat+ scheduled for delivery tomorrow, based on what I 'thought' will be the Ramp Timer Pro functionality. Now, I'm wondering if I pulled the trigger a bit too soon.
Sac ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #4
Roth
Algae Grower

Quote:
I have to say, I'm kind of worried after watching that video and reading the instructions online. Hopefully you can answer a few questions for me.

How will the Ramp Timer Pro work with the Satellite LED+? The Marine Orbit has two plugs, one for the blue channel, one for the white channel. The LED+ only has one plug that controls all the LED's.

How will we adjust the color spectrum on the LED+? The Ramp Timer Pro just allows intensity adjustments for the blue channel, and for the white channel. The LED+ uses white and RGB LED's.

Is there no way to put the dynamic cloud cover effect into the timing schedule? Does it have to be on demand only while the timing schedule is paused?

Will we be able to control two LED+'s with one Ramp Timer Pro?

I'm really hoping the answer is there's a separate version coming out for the LED+! I've been looking forward to this timer for a long time, actually one of the reasons I went with the LED+ in the first place. If what we end up with is what's in the video...well, it might be time to look into a DIY Arduino...hopefully that isn't the case

Any way we can get some sort of info about these questions? I've been holding out for the Ramp Timer Pro, but it's looking like it might not be what I'm wanting after all.

Just curious if I should keep waiting for the Ramp Timer Pro, or just dive into building an Arduino controller. The silence on the matter is telling me I should start researching the Arduino though...

12 gallon long planted shimp tank (just Amano's now, but hopefully some Blue Dreams soon!)
Old 11-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Fiftymeatballs
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'm in the same boat, thought about building an Arduino but have been holding out.
Fiftymeatballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Dave6265
Algae Grower

Yet another underwhelmed customer here....

This does not look like it will work with the LED+ for the freshwater application. I'd like to see a kit specifically for our fixtures, not a saltwater fixture.

Also, many of us need multiple fixtures to cover our tank's footprint, or provide sufficient enough lighting for our plants. I hope we can power multiple units with the timer, or I will be looking for a different lighting system.

I have two (soon to be three if your timer works correctly) units on my tank, and the thought of needing to buy a timer per fixture is going to make the timer and additional unit purchase decision a very easy one.

I'm very appreciative that you made a sleek designed, full RGB LED fixture for freshwater applications, which is why I bought as soon as I saw available - to support your efforts. I just hope the support is mutual with a well thought out pro timer that meets our needs.
Dave6265 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #7
Sac ave
Algae Grower

Well, that's five posts in the past week, from four separate individuals, all of whom have shelled out the cash for one or more Sat+ units. The questions re Ramp Timer Pro functionality with the Sat+ seem reasonable, so I'm more than a little puzzled by the lack of response here.
Sac ave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:07 PM   #8
Roth
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sac ave View Post
Well, that's five posts in the past week, from four separate individuals, all of whom have shelled out the cash for one or more Sat+ units. The questions re Ramp Timer Pro functionality with the Sat+ seem reasonable, so I'm more than a little puzzled by the lack of response here.
Yep, I keep checking here every day to see if there's been a response. And Current has definitely seen the questions, they've responded to other posts since these questions were asked.

Maybe I'm just being cynical, but to me this silence tells us all we need to know. In my best Obi-Wan Kenobi voice "These are not the timers you're looking for"

I REALLY want to be proven wrong, I had such high hopes for the Ramp Timer Pro. So much so that I've bought two Sat+ units. I know nothing about building/using an Arduino, hopefully the guide's I've seen on this site can set me straight.

So Current, any info for us? Even if it's not the info we want to hear, I'd still much rather get the info then just being kept in the dark and wondering. Thanks.

Last edited by Roth; 11-18-2013 at 03:14 PM.. Reason: Edits
Old 11-18-2013, 03:14 PM   #9
zodduska
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

I'd guess they're in an uncomfortable position and it's probably also why the contest has stalled. AFAIK without an IR emitter sending codes to the SAT+ the ProTimer, at least this incarnation of it, won't be able to control anything except the power level on this fixture. No offense to Current but personally I'm looking forward to building an Arduino controller this week.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:32 AM   #10
Psiorian
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodduska View Post
I'd guess they're in an uncomfortable position and it's probably also why the contest has stalled. AFAIK without an IR emitter sending codes to the SAT+ the ProTimer, at least this incarnation of it, won't be able to control anything except the power level on this fixture. No offense to Current but personally I'm looking forward to building an Arduino controller this week.
Oh do post details in your journal I'm interested to see how you do it.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:37 PM   #11
Roth
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiorian View Post
Oh do post details in your journal I'm interested to see how you do it.
Here's the guide I was looking at. Seems fairly straight forward, but I have no experience in this area, so who knows!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=391265

Old 11-19-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
Indychus
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)

Quote:
Here's the guide I was looking at. Seems fairly straight forward, but I have no experience in this area, so who knows!

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=391265
It's very easy if you enjoy tinkering and want a learning experience instead of a plug, play, and done solution. Plus there's the added benefit of becoming addicted to Arduino and wanting to automate everything in your home. Once you get it working and get more comfortable with how and why it's working, you can tweak the software and hardware to tailor it to your own needs and whims. The Arduino community is very beginner friendly as long as you're willing to put in the effort to research and learn.

I love my Current LED+ fixtures (all 9 of them), but even after the pro ramp timers are released I don't see them being the ideal solution for my needs.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
Old 11-22-2013, 10:18 PM   #13
Coralbandit
Algae Grower

you have the nerve to post and not reply.With thousands of dollars in current lights (and our previous communications YOU HAVE SOME NERVE!).It seems clear how you operate your business.My name here is not my email so you don't know me,but I will keep my post "factual" as you requested.Everyone/anyone who purchases a current fixture make sure you send in your warranty cards 100% accurate and complete,as there idea of "customer support" is greatly lacking,and although I really like my true lumen pros,the ballast are bunk,and they refuse to admit it!All is well with current as long as they get your money and never hear from you again!Ask me how I know?
Coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:01 PM   #14
Texan78
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I spoke with someone from Current USA Monday before I ordered my Satellite Plus+ fixtures. Which I got yesterday and looking forward to do the Arduino as it will suite my needs of what I am looking for perfectly. Which is the main reason I went with these. It is a great light from first impression but looks don't grow plants. That will be the real test so will have to wait to see on that.

Anyways, the Ramp Timer Pro will NOT work with the Satellite+ but, The currently Ramp Timer WILL work with the Satellite+. Only issue with using that timer is with one of the preset colors when it starts to dim there is a small flash that happens. Not on all of them just one. I haven't programmed my timer yet so I am not sure which one it happens on. This is just what the told me from Current as they couldn't recall which one it was ether. So they list it on their site that it doesn't work with the Satellite because of that but, it will indeed work with it if you don't mind the small flash on one of the presets. Only downfall to this timer is it doesn't randomly go through the programs but, that is where the Arduino comes into play.

So you have two options. If you want customized programs to trigger then do the Arduino build. If you just want simple night/day cycles with dimming then go with the Ramp Timer.
Texan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:23 PM   #15
dasob85
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (18/100%)

I pmed them about the sat+ and regular ramp timer flickering and their response was, yes we know it does that. The regular ramp timer does something to the rgb in the sat+ which causes strobing when using the dimming effect (which was the whole point of buying their ramp timer and not a cheap on/off one from Home Depot) Anyway, its a nice timer but the dimmer function doesn't work 100% with the sat+
dasob85 is offline   Reply With Quote