Beginners lighting questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Lighting

Old 11-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #1
SA fish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Beginners lighting questions

I plan on having a 55 gallon tank containing the following plants: Amazon Swords, Dark Red Jungle Val, Jungle Val, Proserpinaca palustris green and either dwarf pennywort or micro swords as a carpet.

I would like to have LED lighting. If someone could point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated. I will address the CO2 issue in another thread.
SA fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2013, 01:25 AM   #2
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

One way to start in looking for a LED light is to look at http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=189944 Finnex LED lights have been widely recommended, and this thread shows how much light you get from most of the sizes of the standard Finnex LED lights. If you want to avoid using CO2, look for light intensity at the substrate of 25-35 PAR. If you want to use CO2, you can look for 40-80 PAR at the substrate. There are other LED lights that are also good, but few have as good a data set available for choosing the one you need.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:59 PM   #3
SA fish
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I like the Finnex brand, the price is reasonable. I plan on having the following plants: Amazon Swords, Dark Red Jungle Val, Jungle Val, Proserpinaca palustris green and either dwarf pennywort or micro swords as a carpet. Which would better suit my needs, the Finnex FugeRAy planted series or the Finnex Ray2 DS?
SA fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #4
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SA fish View Post
I like the Finnex brand, the price is reasonable. I plan on having the following plants: Amazon Swords, Dark Red Jungle Val, Jungle Val, Proserpinaca palustris green and either dwarf pennywort or micro swords as a carpet. Which would better suit my needs, the Finnex FugeRAy planted series or the Finnex Ray2 DS?
All of those plants, except the Proserpinaca palustris can do ok with low light, but the P. palustris should have medium light or more. So, I think I would look for the Finnex light that will give about 40 PAR at the substrate, with the light at the top of the tank or suspended at whatever height above the tank you want it to be. The tank is 48 inches long, so you will want a 48" long light, and, if the light sits on top of the tank it will be about 19-20 inches from the substrate, so look for the 48" one that gives about 40 PAR at 19-20". That looks like it will be the Fugeray 48" light. But, if you can suspend the light about 6-8 inches above the top of the tank, the Ray2 48" light would work well. That has the added advantage of allowing you to adjust the light intensity by adjusting the height above the tank.