130 Gal Planted Turtle Setup - Worklog - Page 2
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 06-06-2007, 12:11 PM   #16
boasist
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

No the stand is plenty strong, all joints are made with 1/2" dado joints all around, then biscuits and glued together. It gives it a very minimalist look, no screws or anything to patch and paint over. It is all Oak plywood with a birch veneer as well, so its plenty strong!!!
Advertisement

Old 06-06-2007, 12:57 PM   #17
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

Guys, remember, he's making a turtle tank, it won't be full.

boasist, nice job on the wood work, sleek.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 02:10 PM   #18
natx
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to natx Send a message via Skype™ to natx

If its for a RES, chances are it will be very close to full. I think its a valid concern with such a large tank, and worth thinking about now, as opposed to when its full.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:44 PM   #19
boasist
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natx View Post
If its for a RES, chances are it will be very close to full. I think its a valid concern with such a large tank, and worth thinking about now, as opposed to when its full.

Yeah I probably will go about 100 gallons of water, meaning about the top 6 inches will be unfilled.

At any rate, I'm quite confident that the stand is very solid and will not pose any issues.

On the other hand, my reactor has a leak, it is on the lower portion of the coupler there, will have to reseal.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:41 PM   #20
boasist
Planted Member

Default days work

Ok,

So I removed the basking platform stands that were there.

I was a little concerned when I saw several threads about buying the 100 pack of razor blades...you will get cut...this will take some time...etc.

I tried something new and picked up a glass finishing tool. My dear sweet jesus, it worked like a charm. After making the initial cut on top to remove the black bar, simply taking this too along the glass removed the large remaining silicone spread. Then using light pressure on the corners of the tool removed all of the very thin film left on the glass. I bought the xtra pack of blades, didn't even open them. Got the job done in one blade, no issues. Very pleased. What I thought would take me an hour or so ended up taking 15 minutes. After a follow up with some acetone, the job was done. Of course, thanks so much for the guidance and such in this forum.

On with the photo progress

Here is the tool I suggest you all at least TRY when resealing a tank, building, or like some of us here, making mods to the tank. For this price it can't be beat.

One of the actual attatched black bars that I removed later.

After making the initial cut, gently pry the piece off, you can hear it coming off, so ease up, use your strength wisely.

TA DA! Now we see that silicone bead that will soon become this new wonder tools dinner.

Shot through the glass after both are complete from the acetone wash. Some water spots exist here, yet they are in a different area. The glass is ready.

So a nice pick me up day after yesterdays leak from the reactor.
Actually, no water or anything will actually be touching these areas, so if these areas were joints, I would have probably taken more time to be 100+1% sure that this glass was ready for a new seal. Although I'm pretty confident now, when over 100 gallons of water are at risk to come giving me a new floor, we tend to take some time to double check these things.

I spoke to the supplier of the cork, and they just got a new shipment in, and are able to send me one giant cork slab to cover the basking area (just like natx did on his 40g). So I am looking forward to getting that for a weekend project.
Old 06-07-2007, 02:00 AM   #21
fshfanatic
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)

Nice.. Looking forward to seeing how this turns out..
Ehfipimp #273 ( Eheim Classic: 2260, 2217, Eheim Ecco: 2236, 2232 ) Fluval FX5

fshfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:08 AM   #22
ivgonmad
Algae Grower

keep us posted
ivgonmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:22 PM   #23
boasist
Planted Member

Silicone came in, and I had the acrylic measured up and cut up. I was able to mount these pieces in the tank now.

I did this last night, will let it cure all day today, maybe leak test tomorrow night or monday.

I also had to make this seal on my reactor, as there was a leak here.

I have the back support pieces in place, letting these tack up before I removed the brace and silicone in the large front piece.

Shot from above you can see the front part which is 20" high, so with the tank being 25" high, and the side braces extending 10" the turtle will have about a solid ~80 gallons to swim in. A good upgrade over his current ~40, not to mention the much better lifestyle here.

Leak testing in a day or so, and hopefully that cork will show up. www.herpsupplies.com, they had just gotten in a new shipment of cork, so they are searching for the best piece for this job, really nice guy Eric is, answering every single one of my questions and hand picking this cork for me.
Old 06-10-2007, 03:18 PM   #24
fishymatty
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)

Hey let me know how that DIY external heater works for you. I made one and I can't seem to keep my temp stable.
fishymatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 04:10 PM   #25
boasist
Planted Member

Figured I would put a pic of Charlie here, I mean this is who its all for right?

Old 06-17-2007, 03:57 AM   #26
boasist
Planted Member

DIY inline heater is working well. Definetly slowly but surely though now that the tank is going through its full cycle.

I think....it could be due to the fact that the water is flowing so fast and furiously through the heater it doesn't make enough contact. It is rising about 1 degree every hour now. Again, slowly but surely.

I'll get some more pics of the final setup afterwards, the cork leaked out some unwanted color, and the purigen is doing its thing now.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:16 AM   #27
boasist
Planted Member

OK, so time for an update.

Driftwood still had some tannin, so back to the pot of water it went, a good 3 sessions of 1 hour each. It is now soaking to leech out any other tannins. On that note, I'm not so impressed with the purigen, for the price, it didn't perform as expected. Perhaps the tannins were just too much though.

Lets check out a pic of the basking side of the tank for the turtle.
You can see the cork wall covering the acrylic (soon to be a moss wall), and the buildup of the basking area. Using slate for the steps, and some moss is laid down in the primary basking area for a nice soft bed.

Moving to the side you see the basking structure, plus the tek light that just came in today. Really slick unit, small, very good light span, dead silent which is a great plus.

Full tank shot, you see the wenditti that was the only plant I wanted to save from the other setup, wanted something red and this is what I have.

Well thats it for now, hopefully the regulator will show up. I placed the order on tuesday morning and have yet to even get a response from aqauriumplants.com on the order. If it shows up tomorrow I'll get the C02 system running.
Old 06-22-2007, 12:29 AM   #28
Gatekeeper
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)

i thought activated carbon helped get rid of the tannins. o well.

Looks good!
Old 06-22-2007, 02:14 AM   #29
rodney
Planted Member

Looks great! Havn't seen too many planted turtle tanks, so I can't wait to see how this turns out.
Old 06-22-2007, 03:06 AM   #30
Storm_Rider
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (7/100%)

looking great! i bet my turtles would love that.

question though, is there a current going through all those layers of substrate on the basking side? just wondering if it'll become anaerobic or not.
Storm_Rider is offline   Reply With Quote