From 6g>18g>28g container pond 6/19/14 - Page 3
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion > Ponds

Old 01-19-2014, 07:42 PM   #31
Regenesis
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Will definitely be following along!

Regenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2014, 07:58 PM   #32
horsedude
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
I was able to get a gentle cascade over the main rock but the problem I'm having is the water going under the rock and out of the pond. I'm going to try and replicate the bigger ponds and place some plastic under the waterfall rocks so water finds its way back into the tub. That and maybe use smaller scale rocks

Something like this guys waterfall but in a much smaller scale.
Rossiboy!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved his videos but he's stopped making them now
Old 02-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #33
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-09 17.00.02.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	273250  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-02-09 16.15.35.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	273258  

AGUILAR3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:57 PM   #34
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's absurd. I'd go to the post office and talk to a supervisor.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 02:28 AM   #35
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Yeah, I thought about doing just that but then that would delay getting our mail even longer. I moved the box itself to the other side but once the temp postal worker who reported it leaves, I'll put it back.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:33 AM   #36
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGUILAR3 View Post
Yeah, I thought about doing just that but then that would delay getting our mail even longer. I moved the box itself to the other side but once the temp postal worker who reported it leaves, I'll put it back.
I guess, as long as it's temporary. I would think showing a photo to a supervisor would clear up any confusion, but under the circumstances, not worth the hassle as long as it's easy to move the box.
kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 08:13 PM   #37
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Mail resumed this morning so it's all good in the neighborhood.

On a side note, since the blk tub I ordered was cracked and they have yet to ship out my back order trough, I went ahead and lined the container with a 35g GLAD plastic trash bag. Much much better when compared to the original blue of the container.

I also replaced the green basket filter with a larger container with snap on lid. It'll make it much easier to clean than the zip tied baskets. Eventually, I would like to replace the internal filter with either a mini bog or something external like a mini trickle or a simple waterfall filter with lava rock and filter pads/polyfilter.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:42 PM   #38
Oto Guy
Algae Grower

Your pond is cool. That letter from the post office is so stupid.
For my pond I put in mosquito fish that I got for free from the city. You can get them for free if you call because the city does not want a lot of mosquitoes.
I also have some comet goldfish form the store.
Oto Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 10:41 PM   #39
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I'm thinking of setting up a mini we/dry trickle filter for the pond. Not that I need it but it's just something I want to try after spotting this sterilite container at Walmart the other day. It's rather small at 8 1/2"Lx7 1/4"Wx7"H.

I picked up a bag of lava rock(HomeDepot), poly-fill mat(Walmart) and a box of ceramic rings(LFS). I just need to go back for the mini storage container. Top drawer will have poly fill with water trickling down to ceramic rings then to lava rock by way of holes drilled at the bottom of each drawer. I'll probably need a 2nd container to be used as a sump with a hose running back to the pond.

I also picked up a ball valve with a pair of barb fittings to control water flow

Thoughts and suggestions?

where I got the idea from

Old 02-23-2014, 02:39 AM   #40
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

The filter idea is right, but you do not need a divided container. Just stack up the media you want in a 5 gallon bucket. Water in at the top, bulkhead fitting and water out at the bottom is REALLY easy to set up.
Put this at the head of the stream/bog/waterfall for easiest access for cleaning. Perhaps under the bushes to the left of the pond?
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 04:04 AM   #41
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Wouldn't the water just trickle down the center of the bucket and media. The idea behind the drilled drawers was to make it trickle over all media. A bucket filter would be a lot easier though.
Old 02-26-2014, 05:03 AM   #42
Diana
Planted Tank Guru

Couple of ways to make the water spread out at the top of the bucket, then trickle through more of the media:
A:
1) Put a small piece of plastic at the top of the bucket, on top of the media. (Like a piece of pond liner, or garbage bag, perhaps 4-6" square, or put more work into it and make it round)
2) Water entering the bucket will sheet across and spread out over this plastic, then seep through the media on all sides of this plastic.

B:
1) Add any sort of mesh (like needlepoint craft sheet). This is fine enough to help spread out the water some, but the water will go through the holes.
2) Water entering the bucket will sort of scatter across the mesh, then seep through the media.

C:
1) Aim the water sideways as it enters the bucket, for example by adding a PVC Tee so it goes sideways instead of straight down through the lid and into the media.

D:
Combine either A+C or B+C

In much larger set ups (like a sump for several hundred gallons of tanks or pond) they make a spray bar out of PVC that spreads the water across the top of the media. This is going too far for a 5 gallon bucket filter, but the concept is valid, just a bit difficult to do on this small scale.
Diana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 05:25 AM   #43
kman
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post
Couple of ways to make the water spread out at the top of the bucket, then trickle through more of the media:
A:
1) Put a small piece of plastic at the top of the bucket, on top of the media. (Like a piece of pond liner, or garbage bag, perhaps 4-6" square, or put more work into it and make it round)
2) Water entering the bucket will sheet across and spread out over this plastic, then seep through the media on all sides of this plastic.

B:
1) Add any sort of mesh (like needlepoint craft sheet). This is fine enough to help spread out the water some, but the water will go through the holes.
2) Water entering the bucket will sort of scatter across the mesh, then seep through the media.

C:
1) Aim the water sideways as it enters the bucket, for example by adding a PVC Tee so it goes sideways instead of straight down through the lid and into the media.

D:
Combine either A+C or B+C

In much larger set ups (like a sump for several hundred gallons of tanks or pond) they make a spray bar out of PVC that spreads the water across the top of the media. This is going too far for a 5 gallon bucket filter, but the concept is valid, just a bit difficult to do on this small scale.
A spray bar for a 5 gal bucket is really easy to make using simple pieces from the lawn care/drip irrigation dept. at your local Home Despot. A few feet of plastic irrigation hose, a t-connector, and a drill, and you're good to go.

(I've done this for a portable DIY swamp cooler)
Old 02-26-2014, 07:51 AM   #44
AGUILAR3
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If I'm able to scale down the filter to a 2g bucket(top O.D. 9.60", bottom O.D. 8.14", Hgt. 9.50".), I can make a drip plate out of an 8" round food container found at any Dollar store.

Pump is a Tetra 125gpg off a Whisper HOB. I can also get a Tetra 170gph. Will a 2g work?
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #45
ValMM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to ValMM

This is a cute pond, I would be nervous about birds eating my fish though.