Ebay CO2 regulator
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-07-2013, 05:05 AM   #1
galunggong
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Ebay CO2 regulator

Hello Guys, Noobie in planted tank world here. Is this CO2 regulator any good?

Thanks

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-08-2013 at 01:14 AM.. Reason: eBay links are not permitted. Obfuscation is also not permitted.
galunggong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #2
brainwavepc.com
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)

I wouldn't cheap out on something that can easily kill your fish if it breaks. I would stick with a name brand one
brainwavepc.com is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
Darkblade48

PTrader: (3/100%)

That particular CO2 regulator will not really be suitable with its flow gauge, and you may end up spending more money on upgrading various parts such as the needle valve than the initial savings.

A Primer to Pressurized CO2 and A Primer to Planted Tanks
Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
Darkblade48 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

Agree that it is not good for our use. Some points? There is only one meter. That will tell you there is liquid gas in the tank and not change much until the liquid is gone and it is time to start thinking about a refill. Not really much help there. We do often need a second gauge that tells us what the output (working) pressure is. The flowmeter is made to blow a ball up to show flow. We often don't want nearly that much flow so it is likely no help.
Sorry, tempting idea but not good for us.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
exv152
Planted Tank Enthusiast

The regulator with flow meter is good for a grow op, not that I would not know anything about that, but you want more precise flow managment for planted tanks as suggested. The other link, now removed, only works on a paintball setup.
exv152 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
galunggong
Algae Grower

Ok, thanks guys. I'll stay away from that type of regulator. I found another one on ebay which I can pickup locally http://tinyurl.com/ltqentm is this a good deal? Looking at the pictures, I noticed some rust and chips to the regulator, is this something I should be concerned with?

Thanks in advanced!
Old 11-07-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
shambhalove.
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by galunggong View Post
Looking at the pictures, I noticed some rust and chips to the regulator, is this something I should be concerned with?

Thanks in advanced!
I would be. If theres chips outta it someone probably dropped it, not good. And for the rust, well that shows the level of care that reg has received...

Last edited by shambhalove.; 11-07-2013 at 04:50 PM.. Reason: oops
shambhalove. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

Too many unanswered questions for me. At first glance, I would guess the correosion if from being around saltwater for a long time. What has that done to the internal parts of the meters? The meters don't cover the pressures we use vry well. Hard to tell on the low pressure meter if you want to change from say 18PSI to 20. The low pressure meter reads 0- 140 which is too large a range to do the small low pressure changes we often want. I see no mention of the date on the tank. It may be expired which can cost $25-40 to retest before they will refill.
The biggie? Why do the gauges show pressure. Is it disconnected and still turned on( that's dumb) --or are the gauges blown????
Could be a deal waiting for a sucker.
PlantedRich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #9
galunggong
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Too many unanswered questions for me. At first glance, I would guess the correosion if from being around saltwater for a long time. What has that done to the internal parts of the meters? The meters don't cover the pressures we use vry well. Hard to tell on the low pressure meter if you want to change from say 18PSI to 20. The low pressure meter reads 0- 140 which is too large a range to do the small low pressure changes we often want. I see no mention of the date on the tank. It may be expired which can cost $25-40 to retest before they will refill.
The biggie? Why do the gauges show pressure. Is it disconnected and still turned on( that's dumb) --or are the gauges blown????
Could be a deal waiting for a sucker.
lol...I think I'll just look for a new regulator and probably buy a tank locally. any recommendation for a cheap/decent regulator?

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #10
exv152
Planted Tank Enthusiast

That's a reef fanatic regulator, no better than an aquatek or azoo, the working pressure is preset which means you probably can't do atomic diffusers with it. I personally like to be able to adjust the WP myself.
Old 11-07-2013, 08:06 PM   #11
GoRed
Algae Grower

You can look at Aquatek CO2 regulator. I got mine and it works great. I think it's a decent regulator for $85.

Amazon.com: Basic AQUATEK CO2 Regulator with COOL TOUCH SOLENOID: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Basic AQUATEK CO2 Regulator with COOL TOUCH SOLENOID: Pet Supplies
GoRed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 12:42 AM   #12
Toby_kourtney
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRed View Post
You can look at Aquatek CO2 regulator. I got mine and it works great. I think it's a decent regulator for $85.

Amazon.com: Basic AQUATEK CO2 Regulator with COOL TOUCH SOLENOID: Pet Supplies
I think the aquatek are hit or miss. After my second one I gave up. The working pressure on it fluctuates 5-7 psi.
Toby_kourtney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #13
galunggong
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoRed View Post

Amazon.com: Basic AQUATEK CO2 Regulator with COOL TOUCH SOLENOID: Pet Supplies
So basically, I buy this regulator, some airline tubing and a co2 tank then I'm all set? No need to buy any other attachments?

Thanks
Old 11-08-2013, 05:00 PM   #14
exv152
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by galunggong View Post
So basically, I buy this regulator, some airline tubing and a co2 tank then I'm all set? No need to buy any other attachments?

Thanks
That regulator does not allow you to adjust the working pressure. It's the same as the reef fanatic you linked. There is a premium aquatek that allows you to adjust the WP.
Amazon.com: Premium AQUATEK CO2 Regulator with Integrated COOL TOUCH Solenoid: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Premium AQUATEK CO2 Regulator with Integrated COOL TOUCH Solenoid: Pet Supplies
But be aware they're all cheap quality with basically the same NV and solenoid. It's bottom of the line quality.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:09 PM   #15
galunggong
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by exv152 View Post
That regulator does not allow you to adjust the working pressure. It's the same as the reef fanatic you linked. There is a premium aquatek that allows you to adjust the WP. Amazon.com: Premium AQUATEK CO2 Regulator with Integrated COOL TOUCH Solenoid: Pet Supplies But be aware they're all cheap quality with basically the same NV and solenoid. It's bottom of the line quality.
I see. I can probably bump my budget up a bit. Do you have any recommendation? Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.