Do you need an inriched substrate?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Substrate

Old 11-07-2013, 12:43 AM   #1
Davyglav

PTrader: (0/0%)

Do you need an inriched substrate?

Hi everyone,

New to the forum and wondering if I have already made a mistake, last month I set up my RIO 240 with the intention of it being a planted discus tank, I bought a 1400l per hour external with a uv light from all pond solutions and it's been cycling since. However the tank came with some silver silica sand and I opted to use this now I am wondering if I have messed up by not adding any inriched base substrate? I have a 48" discus collection of plants ordered from plants alive that should be here this week. Also I have jbl aquarium peat ordered to naturally lower ph, I hope it doesn't cloud up the water too much but I replaced the standard media with seachem matrix and purigen?

P.S. will cabomba grow without CO2?
Cheers
Davyglav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2013, 01:03 AM   #2
chad320
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)

Plants are plants whether you grow the in water or not, meaning they need nutrients to live. I would look for some root tabs and look for some ferts for your water column. Plants like dirt and there are several manufactured substrates designed specifically for planted tanks. The JBL peat might leach some tannins into your water making it brown but it will clear with a few 50% water changes. As for the Cabomba, its considered an easy plant to grow and will do fine w/o Co2.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:00 AM   #3
Terminalance
Algae Grower

Your purigen should absorb any tannins, but as stated above, keep up with the water changes. That stuff works magic for tea water. And the cabomba. There's a reason it's labeled as an invasive species in most states. It has been recorded to grow 2" PER DAY in the wild. Mine grows in a 29 gallon tank about an inch per day under a single T8......with no C02 or ferts. By the way, the stuff is impossible to kill. Otherwise beautiful plant.
Old 11-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #4
Davyglav

Thanks for the advice guys my plants arrived today and they are all looking pretty good in the tank, I also got root tabs to try get some nutrients for the root systems so now it's just about waiting and hopefully they will settle, will add some pics soon.

Thanks again
Davyglav is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cabomba, co2, discus planted tank, new setup, sand

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.