High school fish list part 2! (Pictures also!)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fish

Old 10-06-2013, 05:44 AM   #1
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

High school fish list part 2! (Pictures also!)

Hello everyone! I am going to Assume that you have read the first part of this fish list in which we discussed the stocking list for a 50 gallon pirate themed tank, if not I'm feeling nice so here's a link
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=418978

Well, now i have one tank left. This tank is easier to prepare for than the other, it is a 90 gallon tank with mostly plastic plants, but some floaters and some other class of plant I cannot identify. We would prefer the fish over the plants, so if there is a fish that nips at the plants occasionally we will allow it so long that they will not completely wipe out the plants. We would also prefer many kinds of smaller species instead of a few big fish. Our current stocking list(what is in the tank already) is a yellow speckled Molly, an albino bristle nose Pleco, a regular bristle nose, and an oto.

As far as the stocking list would go, we would like to add inverts in there as well, however they would have to be relatively cheap as we can't spend $20 on a shrimp :P if anything we would add a couple of large ghost shrimp, large enough so that they won't be eaten at least.

Here are some pics of the tank. The fish are long gone except for the spekled yellow Molly. The third is obviously the albino bristle nose, we still have that one today.

We would prefer not to add some of the things that were in palatine's fish tank to keep things diverse and have some different species.

We consider it a rule to have a school of something swimming around. Right now we would like to have a larger school of neon tetras like last year. We would prefer not to have various small schools swimming around in the same level of tank, rather we would like to have a school of fish on the top, middle, and lower levels of the tank. Independent fish or pairs would also be nice to keep.

Here's what I was thinking
African butterflyfish x1
Neon tetras x30
Albino corydoras x8
Flame or neon blue dwarf gourami x3
Silver hatchetfish x6
Hi fin lyre tail swordtail x2
Hi fin blood red swordtail x2
Fancy guppies (good sold colored ones) x8
Butterfly loach x2

Please let me know what you think! I made the fish larger so we could funnel it down to the perfect stocking list for a 90 gallon! There is pretty good oxygenation in the water. Thank you for your help!

As far as these fish go, we have a lot of surface area so the top level fish would be happy. The bottom has about 1-3" of gravel and we made a really cool structure of slate rock that would accommodate for both the loaches and the Cory's. We do feed algae wafers and blood worms.

I will be attaching more pictures when I return to school on Monday, so no worries!

We will be adding fish possibly next week, the tank has been set up and cycled for the last year so that is not a worry.

-Giancarlo
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)

I think u should reevaluate ur fish list. U r choosing fish from hard water(swordtails) to fish from soft water(tetras and cories, otos) what are ur parameters by the way. Ph/kh/gh. Knowing what I know now I would find where my water stabilizes and choose fish that fit that criteria. While fish can live in water that they are not accustomed to it will shorten their lifespan and make them more vulnerable to disease.
Get more otos. At least three. They are schooling fish and students will enjoy seeing stuck to the glass.
With that size tank, dependent on your water if it is soft enough, a bunch of tetras(choose which species u like) could be real cool and be able to keep the maintenance down. With enough of them they would occupy all areas of the tank and create quite a show, imo.
Old 10-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Discusdude7
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)

African butterfly is going to Have an expensive lunch (hatchets)
Discusdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #4
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

@jeepguy we could take out the swordtails and go mostly soft water, which is what the tank mostly is. Three more Otos is doable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusdude7 View Post
African butterfly is going to Have an expensive lunch (hatchets)
I know an lfs that sells them when they are about 2" long, so I a, unsure whether they would munch on the hatchets. Which the lfs we'd be getting them from sells them about the size of a quarter.

Revised fish list
African butterflyfish x1
Neon tetras x30
Albino corydoras x8
Silver hatchetfish x6
Fancy guppies (good sold colored ones) x12
Butterfly loach x2
Otos x3

What do you think?

-Giancarlo
Old 10-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
fishkeeper01
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Otos do like to school, but you'll need more that three. In that size of a tank I would go for like ten. Our even more, just my opinion.
fishkeeper01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:14 PM   #6
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Ten Otos... Well ok then. Haha that'll be interesting. So they have a large bio load impact on the tank?

-Giancarlo
Old 10-06-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Axelrodi202
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)

African butterfly fish reach 4 inches in length. If you want a center piece fish you could go with a larger gourami like the pearl gourami.
\_\
Axelrodi202 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 05:23 PM   #8
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Default High school fish list part 2! (Pictures also!)

Right now we were thinking of the center fish being the school of neon tetras, but I like the pearl gourami. Would we be able to add two or three pearl gouramis onto the list?

Or we could drop the African butterflyfish and go with about 4 pearl gouramis.

-Giancarlo
Old 10-06-2013, 05:25 PM   #9
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would highly recommend researching each one of those fish and find out their preferred water parameters. U seem to really want the AFB, but just know, unless u keep him well fed, like going in in the weekend he will snack on whatever can fit in his mouth, which is bigger then u think.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:32 PM   #10
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy View Post
I would highly recommend researching each one of those fish and find out their preferred water parameters. U seem to really want the AFB, but just know, unless u keep him well fed, like going in in the weekend he will snack on whatever can fit in his mouth, which is bigger then u think.
Haha yeah, I've looked up a bit and after reading that their "mouths open up like a drawbridge" realized that the downsides of having one would outweighs the benefits, so that ones out. Instead of it, I added to the list 4 pearl gouramis, however would they get along with the flam or neon blue dwarf gouramis?

Revised fish list
Neon tetras x30
Albino corydoras x8
Silver hatchetfish x8
Fancy guppies (good sold colored ones) x12
Butterfly loach x4
Otos x10
Pearl gourami x4

What do you think?

I read that if keeping different gouramis, it would be better to keep multiple so the aggression is not directed towards a single individual.

-Giancarlo
Old 10-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #11
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I would skip the loaches and the guppies.
On a side note. When are the plants coming. Some hardy wisteria, anarchis and moss would make this tank neat and give ur school a real lesson on a "working" ecosystem, bacteria, living plants, fish, and how they all tie together. Good examples to teach students how closely everything is dependent on everything else. Just an thought.
Old 10-06-2013, 05:51 PM   #12
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Quote:
I would skip the loaches and the guppies.
The guppies are there to add some color, while the loaches look cool. The plants I am worried about, because I know very little of planted tanks (I'm a reef person :P) what the teacher said was that we could slowly change out the plastic decorative plants for live ones. I agree that it would be an epic idea for teaching about ecosystems. I still need to do research.

We already have a nice bundle of green wisteria that I think has colored up a bit after being in the tank. We also got plenty of floating plants. Here's a picture I pulled off of the internet of what they look like, note these are not the actual plants in the tank at my school.

-Giancarlo
Old 10-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #13
jeepguy
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Plants like wisteria, Java fern, anarchis will do good in a low light no feet tank. And will grow still. I am sure people from ur area would be willing to donate plants like this for a school. Just post on the local area of this forum.
All my floaters die in my tanks with canister and hob filters. In my no tech tanks they do great.
For more color why not do a couple different big schools of tetras. I am not a fan of guppies. I like schooling fish more.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:36 PM   #14
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Quote:
Plants like wisteria, Java fern, anarchis will do good in a low light no feet tank. And will grow still. I am sure people from ur area would be willing to donate plants like this for a school. Just post on the local area of this forum.
All my floaters die in my tanks with canister and hob filters. In my no tech tanks they do great.
For more color why not do a couple different big schools of tetras. I am not a fan of guppies. I like schooling fish more.
In the tanks at my school The floaters seem to dislike the water movement from the hob filters and are shriveling up. Or it might be from the light being too much?

As far as the guppies go id like to add them because they add some solid colors, for example deep reds blues and yellows. That is why there were the swordtails in the beginning. We'd prefer to have a single school of tetras swimming around the tank, and neon tetras are the most colorful so we went with those. I feel that another school would mix with the neons and they'd end up being a larger disorganized shoal of many different fish rather than a school.

I'll talk to my teacher about keeping low light plants.

As far as my area forum goes, they aren't really that active and I don't think they would give us plants for my school :/ I will be emailing the list to my teacher today so he can keep an eye out when he goes to get fish within the next week. If there is something that I have to change or that is requested, I will be emailing him an updated list.

A far as inverts go, what kinds of things can I keep with these fish?
I would like some shrimp, we will probably adding a dozen or so ghost shrimp due to the price and if they don't make it then at least the fish had something live to eat :P

-Giancarlo
Old 10-06-2013, 06:37 PM   #15
fishyfish22
Algae Grower

Also, what would be the best thing to add first? I am thinking we add the neon tetras first so they can get a good grasp off the tank.

-Giancarlo