Dosing Dry Ferts Questions
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Fertilizers and Water Parameters

Old 12-08-2013, 07:52 AM   #1
MERSF559
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
Question

Dosing Dry Ferts Questions

hey guys,
im thinking of using dry ferts in the near future and i am not really to familiar with what i am going to need or the proper understanding of it. I know GLA has a selection of dry ferts.

The plants that i has so far in my 20 gal lon high tech are DHG and Pogostemon Helferi (Downoi) It is still cycling at the time and having some algae growing so im thinking of purchasing more plants.

Plants i had in mind are:
Japanica Blyxa
Hydro sp Japan
Rotala Green
Limnophila aromatica (real nice red/purple/green plant)

With these plants, what are some dry ferts that imay need to get a good balance and healthy tank.

The specs on my 20 gal long are:
flourite substrate 3-4 inches tall
finnex ray2
24 oz CO2 paintball w/ aquatek mini regulator
AQClear 30 filter
MERSF559 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #2
MissileBear
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)

Simply put, you need Macros and Micros. Macros being Nitrates, Phosphates, and Sulphates, while Micro nutrients being Iron, Copper, Magnesium, and other trace metals. I used to dose Nitrates, Phosphates and CSM+B; the fish in the tank supplied anything else needed.

Read about Estimative Index (EI) Dosing; there are a bunch of threads on all the planted tank forums. You'll find some charts about example dosing schedules using dry ferts.
MissileBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:02 PM   #3
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissileBear View Post
Simply put, you need Macros and Micros.

Read about Estimative Index (EI) Dosing; there are a bunch of threads on all the planted tank forums.
+1

Here is a primer article on the estimative index, EI light: for those less techy folks. Here is one that digs a little deeper, The Estimative Index of Dosing, or No Need for Test Kits.

The basic fertilizers would be KNO3, KH2PO4 and Plantex CSM +B. If your GH is low (below 3gDH) you will need GH booster as well which will add magnesium, calcium and potassium. In some cases an adequate GH can be mostly calcium so adding magnesium may be needed. If so just use epsom salt available at most stores.

You may want to check out users selling dry fertilizers here. You will be supporting the hobbyists, get a better price, and in many cases better advise/support. Nilocg is the one user that comes to mind. His prices are better than any online store I have found. Just look in the for sale section on this site.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 04:03 AM   #4
MERSF559
Planted Tank Obsessed

thanks guys!
Old 12-09-2013, 04:12 AM   #5
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (74/100%)

A Finnex RayII, 24 inches long, about 10 inches from the substrate, gives you about 100 PAR light intensity. That is very high light, and you will need to do everything just right, especially including CO2, or fighting algae will be your primary hobby activity. No matter how well you fertilize it will be a problem.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:38 AM   #6
MERSF559
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
A Finnex RayII, 24 inches long, about 10 inches from the substrate, gives you about 100 PAR light intensity. That is very high light, and you will need to do everything just right, especially including CO2, or fighting algae will be your primary hobby activity. No matter how well you fertilize it will be a problem.
wow, hmm any other light fixtures recommendations that will support the plant life ihave listed above?
Old 12-09-2013, 03:52 PM   #7
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

You could put a layer of gray fiberglass window screen between the light and the tank. That would reduce your light intensity about 40%, down to around 60 PAR or medium light. That would still require CO2, but you would not need to be nearly as perfect in adjusting it or anything else. You can use the window screen as a tank cover, or put it on the light fixture.
Old 12-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #8
MERSF559
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
You could put a layer of gray fiberglass window screen between the light and the tank. That would reduce your light intensity about 40%, down to around 60 PAR or medium light. That would still require CO2, but you would not need to be nearly as perfect in adjusting it or anything else. You can use the window screen as a tank cover, or put it on the light fixture.
iwas thinking about raising my light by making my own glass stand almost like ADA led lights. how many inches should my lights be above the water sure face to have high light still?
Old 12-09-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
Zorfox
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)

Nice catch Hoppy! Didn't pay attention to the lighting. Even if I had, I would've have known the PAR level lol. Listen to Hoppy mersf. He's the lighting guru IMO and would be my first choice for lighting advise.
Zorfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #10
Hoppy
Planted Tank Guru

If you are sure you want high light, you have that now, so no reason to change anything. You could raise the light until it is about 12 inches from the substrate, and still have high light, but not that high - around 75 PAR.
Old 12-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #11
MERSF559
Planted Tank Obsessed

I thinking of hanging my light but my gf and mom think it will look tacky lol im thinking of nice ways of hanging my light without it looking all industrial. any ideas?