CO2 Regulator Advice
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > Specific Aspects of a Planted Tank > Equipment

Old 11-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #1
BTM88

PTrader: (0/0%)

CO2 Regulator Advice

I am looking to do my first pressurized CO2 set-up, I have DIY right now and would like more control. I'm trying to choose a regulator and would like some advice from a few of the CO2 experts on this forum. Below are two I found on Ebay.

Concoa Series 315 Two-Stage Medical Regulator- $75
ABCO HPT500-40-320-4F TWO STAGE- $80

Very open to other suggestions!

I'm also going with a Fabco NV-55, Clippard Mouse EC-2M-12 solenoid w/manifold, Clippard fittings.
Unsure which diffuser and bubble counter yet.
BTM88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 04:21 AM   #2
ccar2000
Planted Member

I think you would do well with either one. How do you plan on controlling your co2? Ph controller or timer?
Old 11-06-2013, 01:48 PM   #3
PlantedRich
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)

I'm not sure how up on building your own you are so excuse me if I tell you something you already know.
Looking on the bay, watch the meters to get a low pressure meter that reads like 0-60 rather than 0-300. It makes it better to read the pressures we use. Also be aware that the Input may need to be changed to CGA320. Oxygen regs will likely have a different input. These can be a bear to change if you are short on tools. Not big things but when buying it pays to figure all the little expenses involved.
PlantedRich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #4
BTM88

I plan on using a timer with my lights to run them together.

Ya I was okay with changing the input to a CGA 320, that's not a problem. Thank you for bringing the pressure reading to my attention, of course I overlooked an obvious thing like that. Haha.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #5
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Concoa 315 series is single stage. And used O2 regs tend to have higher failure rates than other gases. Also there's sometimes an issue (though *not* in this case) of O2 regs being a set output pressure and having the low pressure gauge measure in volume rather than pressure.

The HPT500 is a Victor, and it's a really nice reg. It's designed for CO2, and already should have a 320 inlet. It maxes out at 40 psi, which will *probably* do everything you could possibly want, with the possible exception of certain Atomic diffusers (I've had one or two that required more than 40, out of maybe 5). But you should be using a reactor of some sort anyway, so that's fine.

If it's in decent condition, and you don't see any questionable stuff in the pics, I'd do the Victor.
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
BTM88

This says Concoa 315 series is dual stage?

http://www.concoa.com/docs/catalogs/...0Regulator.pdf

I was leaning more towards the Victor anyways!
Old 11-06-2013, 10:01 PM   #7
kevmo911
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)

Doh! You're 100% correct, was looking at a pic that looked like it didn't have the protrusion on the back end ...and didn't bother to look it up through Concoa, which has a fantastic set of .pdfs.

If the Concoa is used, I'd probably still go with the Victor because of the O2 issue, but I'd make sure to look through the available pics. I did look at the Victor, and if it were me, I'd probably still get a new CGA320 chrome nut, if not the nipple as well, as the nut appears chewed-up. Wish I could see the gauges better, though. One thing to always make sure of is that the gauges are zeroed out. HP gauge looks good, and I *think* the LP is good (there's a short vacuum range at the lower end).
kevmo911 is offline   Reply With Quote