Shrimp in the NORTH Jersey area
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > New Jersey

Old 11-05-2013, 08:04 PM   #1
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)

Shrimp in the NORTH Jersey area

Preferably in the Warren/Sussex/Bergen area.

I am still new to shrimp (have only kept ghost shrimp and amanos) and I am curious if anyone in the area knows of a local and reputable seller or LFS. I am not looking for anything special (i don't want anything over 10$ a shrimp). I know a lot of people buy via the sale section on here but I am not willing to risk losing shrimp due to my own personal error (it's also starting to get cold out).

I have been wanting to do a shrimp only nano for a while now and ghost shrimp just...disinterest me. Unfortunately they're really the only thing i can find.

Any advice appreciated!
jbig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2013, 12:21 AM   #2
aznrice247
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/97%)

From my experience, Fishtown has the best. But you're really better off getting it from a breeder. It's cheaper and you can ask them for advice,info. I would recommend SOShrimp. He's from NY but his stock is good. I would recommend starting with either cherries or orange Neos..

what are your water parameters like? PH, TDS
aznrice247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznrice247 View Post
From my experience, Fishtown has the best. But you're really better off getting it from a breeder. It's cheaper and you can ask them for advice,info. I would recommend SOShrimp. He's from NY but his stock is good. I would recommend starting with either cherries or orange Neos..

what are your water parameters like? PH, TDS
I like fishtown a lot, but going off what you said, i would prefer going directly to a breeder for cheaper prices/better knowledge.

my pH is a little high, 7.6-7.8. The tank I would be stocking with shrimp is an 8g aqueon evolve and provided a pretty stable habitat when I kept ghost shrimp.

I have no way of measuring my TDS right now, but ammonia/nitrites were at 0 last time I checked. Nitrates around 20-40ppm. I also don't have a GH test kit but my tap water runs through a water softener because it is normally pretty hard water. No fertz, no co2 at the moment although I do have a spare fluval pressurized co2 kit i planned on using at some point. The tank has been established for about a year but I would like to rescape it.

The water is warm (guesstimating around 78degF) because of the heater i have in it and the lid keeps most of the heat in.
Old 11-07-2013, 12:46 AM   #4
kaz442
Algae Grower

Try Sea Level Aquarium in Pine Brook NJ on RT 46

Jkaz
kaz442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #5
gmoses
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)

i am in central jersey but i do come up to north jersey some times... right now i have a bunch or red cherries and crystal reds and growing out some carbon rillies and possibly some green cardnia...
Sendme an email to gmoses@gmail.com and we can discuss your set up water etc... and see if we can find what is best for you and i can ask around see who has what in north jersey for more options.
gmoses is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
acitydweller
ओं मणिपद्मे हूं

PTrader: (174/100%)

Pet goods on Rt 17 has had cherries, blue diamonds and orange sakuras on occassion. i usually check in with them to see what they have.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
jbig
Planted Tank Obsessed

I appreciate everyone chiming in. I will have to give some of these stores a call to see what they're stocking. Gmoses ill be emailing you. I really appreciate you offering some help. Ill be emailing you shortly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Old 11-19-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
Drowki
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Drowki

Fishtown has the most selection of Shrimp that i have seen. $$

Absolutely Fish also has some good collection up at their counter. (smaller shrimpers) and little more $$$

You might be able to get a good order from Aquabid.com, or ask if anyone here breeds shrimp in NJ and ask. I would give you some, but my rams made a feast of them =( 20 dead less than 24 hours. (2x GBRs)
Drowki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #9
sangckim5
Algae Grower

PTrader: (6/100%)

If you are still interested, there is someone in the New York local forums selling RCS cheaply. He is located in Queens, NY, but you are able to pick up in Ramsey, NJ.
$1.00 each
15 for $10.00
25 for $15.00
50 for $25.00
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...=357769&page=4
sangckim5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 04:44 PM   #10
ike32mike
Algae Grower

You can try ordering shrimps from msjinkzd.com....
heard she is reliable.
ike32mike is offline   Reply With Quote