Blyxa japonica
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Photography

Old 11-04-2013, 08:05 PM   #1
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)

Blyxa japonica

thanks for taking a look. pardon the algae on the back glass.
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 08:26 PM   #2
LICfish
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)

That's amazing! Which one of your journals is this plant from? I would like to know what you do to make it look so red.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #3
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LICfish View Post
That's amazing! Which one of your journals is this plant from? I would like to know what you do to make it look so red.
thanks for taking a look. the blyxa comes from the tank posted here: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=462497
Old 11-05-2013, 12:09 AM   #4
tetra73
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Very interesting...however, your overall tank condition isn't good. You have a huge outbreak of GSA. Some of your other plants aren't doing well. Maybe too much light. Given that your Blyxa Japonica is near the water surface, it gets even more light.

Canon Pimp Club #005
tetra73 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #5
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tetra73 View Post
Very interesting...however, your overall tank condition isn't good. You have a huge outbreak of GSA. Some of your other plants aren't doing well. Maybe too much light. Given that your Blyxa Japonica is near the water surface, it gets even more light.
And I totally agree with you. My tank is far from settled down. It seems that increasing my phosphate levels hasn't made much of an impact, so I plan to increase levels of K since I heard that K limits P absorption. If that doesn't work, then I will reduce my photoperiod. Any other suggestions for controlling GSA? I'm open to suggestions. The ottos aren't complaining though.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #6
samee
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)

Your photo is 8 hours right? I had the gsa/gda stuff for 8 months. recently got rid of it. Im not sure what made it go away all of a sudden but I did a few steps that might have contributed. I might make a thread about it. Tank cleanliness is one of the biggest things. Followed my nutrient dosing. Dont dose crazy high amounts, which usually is the opposite when you think of EI.

Either way, the blyxa looks amazing, I was really happy to see it when I saw your tank. Even though theres an algae outbreak and things are out of wack you still got the colours.

My Hens and Chicks Plants > http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...722&highlight=

samee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (135/100%)

That's the redest I have ever seen it. Pretty cool looking. Are you positive it's Blyxa Japonica?

v3
Old 11-05-2013, 01:53 AM   #8
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
That's the redest I have ever seen it. Pretty cool looking. Are you positive it's Blyxa Japonica?

v3
100% positive. If you click on the thread linked above you can see it looking more like the blyxa seen in most tanks.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:57 AM   #9
amphirion
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by samee View Post
Your photo is 8 hours right? I had the gsa/gda stuff for 8 months. recently got rid of it. Im not sure what made it go away all of a sudden but I did a few steps that might have contributed. I might make a thread about it. Tank cleanliness is one of the biggest things. Followed my nutrient dosing. Dont dose crazy high amounts, which usually is the opposite when you think of EI.

Either way, the blyxa looks amazing, I was really happy to see it when I saw your tank. Even though theres an algae outbreak and things are out of wack you still got the colours.
Thanks a lot-- will appreciate your insight if you so make a thread. My photoperiod is roughly 8 hours. Maybe I should disrupt it for an hour between. Thanks for the bit on holding back the dosage. In truth the only nutrients that I have been placing liberal amounts of are P and K. Everything else I tend to stay conservative on.

I am hoping that my blyxa is the canary in the mineshaft so to speak. If it is, exciting things are going to happen.

Tags
blyxa, japonica

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.