Shrimp tank ppl in the NPR/Tampa area
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Local Pet Stores, Clubs, and Conventions > Florida

Old 11-04-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
SR52012
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Shrimp tank ppl in the NPR/Tampa area

OK so I just joined the site yesterday and I want to build a planted tank out of my 56c but, i also have a few 10g and i think a 2g laying around and ive always loved shrimp! I was wondering if anyone in my area also had shrimp tank/s and could poss help/coach me when i am ready to get mine going.
SR52012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2013, 05:06 PM   #2
SR52012
Algae Grower

I think i may have posted this in the wrong spot...???
Old 11-04-2013, 10:10 PM   #3
DarkWater Aquatics
Shrimp Tamer

PTrader: (4/83%)

Yup I'm a shrimper. Got 6 different neo colors cooking at the moment. I'm in Orlando but frequent Tampa weekly
DarkWater Aquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:14 PM   #4
SR52012
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWater Aquatics View Post
Yup I'm a shrimper. Got 6 different neo colors cooking at the moment. I'm in Orlando but frequent Tampa weekly

Sweet! Can i pm so I can pick your brain?
Old 11-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (60/100%)

Port Richey here as well. I have PFR, CRS, and wild type.

You have to watch the tap water up here very closely TDS typically between 325 and 400 depending on the day

As a note as well dont buy shrimp at the lfs here the markup on them is insane 3-5 bucks for a cherry shrimp

Last edited by drewsuf82; 11-05-2013 at 01:27 AM.. Reason: Edit
drewsuf82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
JEden8
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)

Tampa here...
Old 11-05-2013, 01:55 AM   #7
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEden8 View Post
Tampa here...
I was wondering when you'd chime in
Old 11-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #8
SR52012
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewsuf82 View Post
Port Richey here as well. I have PFR, CRS, and wild type.

You have to watch the tap water up here very closely TDS typically between 325 and 400 depending on the day

As a note as well dont buy shrimp at the lfs here the markup on them is insane 3-5 bucks for a cherry shrimp

What part of the PR are you in? JW.

I am thinking of setting up the ten gallon with a few plants and maybe a few small pieces of wood... I was going to go with the 2 of these:
Amazon.com: Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter Fish Tank Air Pump: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Aquarium Biochemical Sponge Filter Fish Tank Air Pump: Pet Supplies

and if the CFL lights fit in the hood i was going to use 2 walmart "daylight" blubs in it.

Would these filters and light selection work for shrimp?? I also have seen alot of substrates talked about, just dont know what one to use. I also have a source to get RO water for free. So the PR hard tap water shouldnt be a problem.
Old 11-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #10
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

None of those links seem to be working. I'm up by the mall.

In my CRS tank, I use a whisper internal filter with the intake covered with the black filter stuff I can't remember what it's called. Coupled with sponge filters. In my PFR tank I use a HOB with a SS mesh cover (I got that from H4N)
Old 11-06-2013, 01:11 PM   #11
DarkWater Aquatics
Shrimp Tamer

PTrader: (4/83%)

My breeding tanks are 55s with inert substrate, sponge filters and a TON of moss. My neos go crazy. I lucked out and scored some carbon rilis from a wholesaler for like, $2 each so that's my next project. Amazing how few shrimpers are in the area
DarkWater Aquatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 05:47 PM   #12
SR52012
Algae Grower

Dark water,
are u the store in the orlando area? JW.... If so, i might have to come see you one weekend to buy some stuff!

I also got my tank today and am going to take a trip to marine warehouse tonight to see what they have. I would like to get it going this week while im off... even if there arent shrimp in it i would like to plant it and let it run! Please PM me if you guys have anything you want to get rid of. IDN what kind of plants i should get and stuff. but please see my tank build thread and chime in if im doing something wrong!
Old 11-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
drewsuf82
Wannabe Guru

General warning be sure to treat for snails from marine warehouse most have pond snails.

Plants are good but some are emerged grown so expect some melting.

As for shrimp they LOVE mosses and riccia as well. Before buying shrimp be sure to know your kh gh and tds from tap. I was using tap and my painted fire reds weren't breeding much however, since I changed to remin rodi they have been quite prolific.

I've found that bristle nose albino plecos do well with my shrimp and have not noticed any missing. Make sure you have a way to acclimate shrimp to the water in your tank and that your tank is 100% cycled before adding them.

As for shrimpers in the area I know only of myself, jeden and dark (over Orlando way).

I started out with ghost shrimp but found they can be quite food aggressive. My pfr are doing well and I've since expanded to two different types crs and some wild types.

Depending on how much moss you're looking for I may be able to help you out if you're interested I should have some anchor moss available when I get to trimming when I have the time.

Do you know what kind of setup you're going for? High tech? Low tech? How much light? I use excel for co2 in my pfe tanks and have no issue, I don't use pressurized co2 in my shrimp tanks because I've seen a lot of topics regarding a lowering in breeding rate on the forums. I use flourish sporadically in my pfr tank and have gradual growth.

Sorry about the book
Old 11-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #14
SR52012
Algae Grower

The lid of the tank holds one bulb, so i will run a 6500k cfl, and as for layout... i was going to go with maybe a piece of drift wood, plants and this thing that i found...
http://amzn.com/B007SS3WI4
Its pretty cool and u can grow moss on top of it. And if you want to get rid of some of your moss just let me know.
Old 11-07-2013, 01:49 AM   #15
SR52012
Algae Grower

So i just ordered my sponge filter and air pump. it will be here friday so tomorrow im going to tractor supply and home depot to get my bdbs and mgopm then all i will need is plants, and other scaping items!