Ryan's 25G Tank (56k Warning)
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Tank Journals

Old 01-20-2004, 03:41 AM   #1
newplantguy
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

Hi Everybody,

Some of you may remember my postings a month or so ago about algae/lighting/etc problems I was having. Well, I decided I wasnít happy with how things were going and so I did a complete tank rebuild. Things have grown in a bit since then and I wanted to share some picts with you.

Let me know what ya think.. I would love some suggestions.

Cheers, Ryan
My Aquarium (2.0MB Image) - SeaClear 25G Tall - Seachem Ferts - Hikari Food - AH Supply 55w CF Kit w/ 5300k Lamp - Eheim 2213 Classic - Pro Heat Titanium - Nutrafin CO2 NPS - Island Aquarium Canopy & Base - Vortex D-1 (Occasional Maintenance Polishing)
newplantguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-20-2004, 03:51 AM   #2
KyleT
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)

Gordeous pictures and even healthier plants, you have a tank to be proud of!

Kyle
Old 01-20-2004, 04:44 AM   #3
mm12463
Algae Grower

Is that one of the zebra ottos? My LFS has had them from time to time and each time I go they are out. Course they are $30!

Nice looking tank. I'm jealous. Great pics too.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:38 AM   #4
newplantguy
Algae Grower

Thanks for the nice comments! Yup, thatís a Zebra Otto. They are quite hard to come by in my area but I think I paid about 10 bucks or so when I finally found one.
My Aquarium (2.0MB Image) - SeaClear 25G Tall - Seachem Ferts - Hikari Food - AH Supply 55w CF Kit w/ 5300k Lamp - Eheim 2213 Classic - Pro Heat Titanium - Nutrafin CO2 NPS - Island Aquarium Canopy & Base - Vortex D-1 (Occasional Maintenance Polishing)
Old 01-20-2004, 05:49 AM   #5
rumples riot
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Nice looking tank, are you running Metal Halides for lights?

Paul
Eheim Pimp Club member #3: Scribe to the Eheim Pimp Club

90 gallon, CO2 dupla injection, Dupla substrate heating, Dupla Laterite with iron stone substrate, Aquastarlight future 3 x 150 metal Halides, Eheim 2026 pro2's and heavily planted with Discus
rumples riot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:18 AM   #6
newplantguy
Algae Grower

Nope, no metal halides. The current configuration is one 55w 5300k CF bulb and one of AH Supply's Miro4 reflectors. I might add a 36w bulb to bump up the WPG in the future but I am going to take a wait and see approach. The less water evaporation the better.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:25 AM   #7
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

PTrader: (4/100%)

Nice looking tank, healthy looking plants, its nice to see a successful start to plant keeping.

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 01:13 PM   #8
GulfCoastAquarian
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (6/100%)
Send a message via ICQ to GulfCoastAquarian Send a message via Yahoo to GulfCoastAquarian

I like the look of this tank. The forground doesn't even feel like it needs to "grow in". The pebbled look is very clean. I do think the pile of slate in the middle is a little too tall and vertical. Somehow I think it might look better if the one rock in the middle, second from the bottom, was removed.
Old 01-20-2004, 01:22 PM   #9
SCMurphy
PT Biologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfCoastAquarian
Somehow I think it might look better if the one rock in the middle, second from the bottom, was removed.
The gray one or the other gray one?

Aquascape? I'm a crypt farmer.

It's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore looking like an idiot.

That IS an aquascape, it's titled "The Vacant Lot".
SCMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 02:17 PM   #10
Rolo
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)

Wow, stunning! How tall is your tank and what is that little red plant in the foreground? I'm surprised that a 55W for this tank is doing very well growing stem plants and a red plant. I have a AHSupply 55W bright kit on its way for my 20high and was concerned if it wasn't going to be enough light due to Sam's woes with the same setup.

I would have to disagree about the slate work being to extensive. It offerese a great contrast to the bright colors of your fish that the plants and gravel can't offer. As the plants grow in though the slate work should become less an emphasis.
Rolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:16 PM   #11
newplantguy
Algae Grower

The tank is 20" high (24"L x 12"W x 20"H). I am not sure what the name of the red plant is. Does anyone have any idea? The Miro4 reflector helps in getting the most out of the one bulb. The stem plants definitely arenít growing as fast as I would like them to but they see to be doing OK for now. I donít have the cash right now to invest in a pressurized CO2 setup.
Old 01-20-2004, 05:33 PM   #12
Pete
Algae Grower

Send a message via ICQ to Pete

You have a great looking tank nice choice of plants. I would also like to no the name of the deep red plant in the pic.
Good job Newplantguy
Pete...
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 05:49 PM   #13
Raul-7
Wannabe Guru

Great tank, but IMO you should remove that pile and replace it with driftwood? That red plant is Nymphaea daubenyana
Raul-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:39 PM   #14
Wasserpest
Are these real?

PTrader: (168/100%)

That Oto image is among the best I have ever seen! Awesome quality.

I like the slates, but I agree you should probably lower them a little bit, to make it look more natural. Maybe plant something small-leaved in between, to soften the contours?

The Tiger Lotus looks good right now, but there is no way you will keep that as a forground plant for long. Once they start growing, man, they do grow :shock:
Wasserpest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2004, 06:48 PM   #15
hubbahubbahehe
Wannabe Guru

what substrate are you using??
Eheim Pimp Club Member #32
hubbahubbahehe is offline   Reply With Quote